Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
Registered User
 

Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 890
Send a message via AIM to crazychu
question about GC

Everyone here is familiar with guitar center right? well i want to buy an electric there, but i have a problem with buying gear that were on display prior (just seeing how people abuse them..) makes me uneasy, is there a way i can be like "can i get a new one instead"? or something? I have never bought a guitar or anything like that there before, so i really don't know. anyone?

crazychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Groove On
 
RedsFan75's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 545
Just ask them if they have the same one New in the box.
__________________
Bach gave us God's Word. Mozart gave us God's laughter. Beethoven gave us God's fire. God gave us Music that we might pray without words. - quote outside an opera house
RedsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Andymatic14's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 25
Send a message via AIM to Andymatic14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychu View Post
Everyone here is familiar with guitar center right? well i want to buy an electric there, but i have a problem with buying gear that were on display prior (just seeing how people abuse them..) makes me uneasy, is there a way i can be like "can i get a new one instead"? or something? I have never bought a guitar or anything like that there before, so i really don't know. anyone?
I'm pretty sure you they have new ones in the back that you can try out. Just ask them to see if they're in stock. Although sometimes i prefer buying used/items that were played because they're broken in.
And I am also certain that if those people abused the instruments enough for you to notice, you can get a few bucks off of it.
Andymatic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2001
Location: Helena, AL
Posts: 3,303
I'm "fairly familiar" with Guitar Center, as I worked there for a year. In most stores, the entire inventory is out on the sales floor. You could have them order you a new model from the vendor if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks.

I would just find the guitar you like, and use anything that is wrong with it to get the price down.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymatic14 View Post
I'm pretty sure you they have new ones in the back that you can try out. Just ask them to see if they're in stock. Although sometimes i prefer buying used/items that were played because they're broken in.
And I am also certain that if those people abused the instruments enough for you to notice, you can get a few bucks off of it.
Whether or not they have one in their stockpile (it seems that some GCs have then and others don't) I'd still ask to try it out when you get one that's never been opened. Just because it has never left the box doesn't mean it's in perfect condition and plays exactly like the floor model. A friend of mine bought a nice Ibanez solid body guitar from GC new and when he got home he looked over the guitar and found a mosquito had been trapped in the lacquer. It made for a cool look if you're into paleontology, but it wasn't what he expected or wanted so he had to return it.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Hula your way out of it
 
Kato's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 1,423
Send a message via AIM to Kato Send a message via MSN to Kato
Also, whether or they do or not have new in box, also ask if they cant take a bit off the price. They usually can, and usually will.
__________________

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Whether or not they have one in their stockpile (it seems that some GCs have then and others don't) I'd still ask to try it out when you get one that's never been opened. Just because it has never left the box doesn't mean it's in perfect condition and plays exactly like the floor model. A friend of mine bought a nice Ibanez solid body guitar from GC new and when he got home he looked over the guitar and found a mosquito had been trapped in the lacquer. It made for a cool look if you're into paleontology, but it wasn't what he expected or wanted so he had to return it.
We did this with my daughter's Tak.
The GC we went to (Sherman Oaks, CA) had 3 on the floor to demo. 2 of them had similar and very bad seperations between the back and side wood at the base of the guitar, unbeknownst to the salesperson until we showed him.
We tried the third unbroken guitar and it seemed ok but I had asked if they had any more of them in back.
He checked and they did so we had one untouched-in-the-box guitar brought out and we proceded to open it, test it and it was the best of the lot so that was the one we got, still at the sale price of the others.

If you're unable to get a new version of what you want then do try to haggle on the price a bit. The bottom line at GC is the sale and they would rather make a sale at a reduced price than no sale, within reason.
Sometimes they'll waive the sales tax (where applicable) and other times they'll throw in free stuff to offset the full price of the large item.
Regardless, always go for the best deal there.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
Pearl plays her guitar
 
Hopeful's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2004
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 4,404
To add to what others have said, never pay the first quoted price. My son just bought a new Ibanez for about $100 off the sales price (not the MSRP), then asked for a deal on a case. GC is always looking for ways to make the deal work. They will make up for it on gear they sell to those who don't know or who don't ask.

I would always ask for more off a quoted price for a demo guitar that's been on the floor.
__________________
I've been humbled many times, but always for my own good!

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
If you're unable to get a new version of what you want then do try to haggle on the price a bit. The bottom line at GC is the sale and they would rather make a sale at a reduced price than no sale, within reason.
Sometimes they'll waive the sales tax (where applicable) and other times they'll throw in free stuff to offset the full price of the large item.
Regardless, always go for the best deal there.
Good point everyone who's brought this up. Don't be afraid to play hardball at GC, because what seems pushy to a regular joe is within reason for a GC employee.

Last Friday my wife and I went shopping for a digital piano at GC. We found one that was $500 that we liked. We asked the salesperson if they had any new in the box because the floor model had some gunk on the keys. I didn't even try to haggle that price down because if it'son the keys who knows if it got inside the components. He came back and said they didn't have any new ones but they had another keyboard that they could knock down to $560 (the floor price was $699). We asked him about what it came with because we just wanted to get a complete package (piano, piano stand, bench) and he assured us that it was there. We ended up paying $603 after taxes.

When we got home we took it out of my car and in process of taking it inside the house saw that there was no bench in the packaging. The next day I called GC and told them that we were told it came with a bench and that it was a big selling point. Over the phone the salesperson said that he could sell me a bench at cost (which is what we supposedly paid for our piano to begin with). I told him that we were assured a bench came with the package and that if I couldn't get a bench I would pack the piano back up and bring it back. He asked me how much I paid for it and I told him $600. He put me on hold for a minute, came back and said "Just come on down, we'll set everything straight." We ended up driving down to GC and getting a basic Yamaha padded bench for free. All said and done we picked up about $800 (including taxes) of merchandise for $600 (including tax).
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
My name is really Zebulon
 
Bassman1185's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,276
Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Why don't you just not go to GC? In my experience, people seem to have a LOT more respect for gear at a smaller, local store than they would for GC gear, plus local shops are generally very appreciative of business when they have to compete with a Guitar Center or something like that, and nine times out of ten, the price will be the same. Plus, local stores will usually take much better care of you than GC.
__________________
Good time heavy rock 'n roll.
Bassman1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Hula your way out of it
 
Kato's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 1,423
Send a message via AIM to Kato Send a message via MSN to Kato
For my expierence. I had one some-what simliar to part of your keyboard story.

I went in knowing there was another Casio keyboard out of my price range I really liked. But I went in to grab another since this was my first keyboard.

They were all out except for the display. I rather have the instruction manual or anything so joking around I pointed behind me at this keyboard selling for 400 and said "So you're gonna give me that one for 300 right?" The guy said he couldn't do that... So I suggested 320 and he took it.


My amp, I told the guy my price range, and actually brought me one that was 40 more than what I had in my pocket. He said he wasn't thinking and gave me the amp for what I had (I remember saving a lil over a hundred)

My Epiphone Sheraton, I got guitar center to knock of sales tax.

I got offered 100 bucks off my Boss ME-50. Even though I ended up saving another 100 bucks buying it used.

My newest guitar I got 100 dollars knocked off. Even though it wasn't at Guitar Center.

And my acoustic, I got the sales tax knocked off, and they threw in a hardshell case.

It just says to show. Don't be afraid to ask. I didn't even realize how much I saved untill I started listing all this. Haha.
__________________

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
Baby #2 is here!
 
RipVanWinkle's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marshall, TX
Posts: 3,341
Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Last Friday my wife and I went shopping for a digital piano at GC. We found one that was $500 that we liked. We asked the salesperson if they had any new in the box because the floor model had some gunk on the keys
Whoa...2 things steve...

Ive NEVER heard you say that you were married!? What the who?

And, what piano did you get? I got hooked up pretty well on a digital piano there a few years back (long story...we actually bought 2)...I'm almost embarrassed to say, but we got a Williams digital piano
__________________

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!


RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
Pearl plays her guitar
 
Hopeful's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2004
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
Whoa...2 things steve...

Ive NEVER heard you say that you were married!? What the who?
That's off topic!





BUT, yeah, I'm glad you said something. Are congratulations in order? Give us the dirt, man! Start another thread if you have to.
__________________
I've been humbled many times, but always for my own good!

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,143
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Haha...to keep it short, I got married a month ago tomorrow (Jan 6)...and the keyboard is a Casio PX-700.

I generally just don't talk about my personal life too much on CGR...but remember my blog is entitled "ask me a question" [/shameless plug]
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered User
 
the strat guy's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 31
If you are going to get a guitar from GC CHECK THE NECK!. All you do is set the butt of the guitar on the floor, look straight down the neck, and close your right eye. If you see any bends request for it to be serviced. Because a new guitars neck tends to bend from the wood being new and from the change in humidity.
the strat guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2