Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:47 AM   #76
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymze13 View Post

I'd love to know how Zakk Wild plays his slung so low.
Well he plays with his guitars almost strait up and down, and when he solos he plays strait up and down.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #77
Now with Banstick™

Send a message via AIM to Gustin Send a message via MSN to Gustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
for those of you who are in the wrist bending crowd, wait until you're in your twenties or thirties and carpal tunnel catches up with you.

I have carpal tunnel & joint problems in my knuckles (though not from guitar, i raised mine up a long, long time ago).

It sucks when your hands go numb, your fingers don't move as nimbly as you'd like, and then your hands & wrists ache all the time. I have some soft-braces that i wear to keep heat in the joints to avoid that.

Once it's too bad you get to have fun with carpal tunnel, and then your dexterity really goes down hill. Read about those operations sometime if you don't believe me.

It's not that people don't want you to be as cool, it's just that you can't stay that "cool" forever. Guys like kurt don't have to worry about their wrists when they get old because they're already dead.
Word.

If your guitar is higher, it's a lot easier to play a lot faster. I think that looks "cooler" than having it low. Let your ability speak for your coolness, not your looks.
Gustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
for those of you who are in the wrist bending crowd, wait until you're in your twenties or thirties and carpal tunnel catches up with you.

I have carpal tunnel & joint problems in my knuckles (though not from guitar, i raised mine up a long, long time ago).

It sucks when your hands go numb, your fingers don't move as nimbly as you'd like, and then your hands & wrists ache all the time. I have some soft-braces that i wear to keep heat in the joints to avoid that.

Once it's too bad you get to have fun with carpal tunnel, and then your dexterity really goes down hill. Read about those operations sometime if you don't believe me.

It's not that people don't want you to be as cool, it's just that you can't stay that "cool" forever. Guys like kurt don't have to worry about their wrists when they get old because they're already dead.
actually my hands do go numb easily, it kinda runs in the family, and they do ache often.

I can't stand high guitars, i just don't like the look, but i think it is time for me to lose my ego and raise em up enough to be able to play longer.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #79
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
I can't stand high guitars, i just don't like the look, but i think it is time for me to lose my ego and raise em up enough to be able to play longer.
...first he gives up playing with fire in the house and next thing you know, he's wearing his guitar up where it's supposed to be....I think....maybe...he's...growing...up...?!?

Nate
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate95366 View Post
...first he gives up playing with fire in the house and next thing you know, he's wearing his guitar up where it's supposed to be....I think....maybe...he's...growing...up...?!?

Nate
i havn't given up fire, but i don't ignite my guitars on fire anymore.
And i'll raise them higher, not Morello high.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #81
Skynyrd Gomer

I checked to see were Zakk wears his guitar and it does look super low but the bridge pickup is a bout 3" under his belt. But his wrist is straiter than you would think. And my self no matter if I wear my guitar as a chin strap or at with the strings at my belt my wrist has a slight bend no matter what. And I want it to be known that I agree a extreme is a no no. Now on to my point. Everybodys body isn't the same, what make you hurt might never bother me and what is akward to me might be just fine for you. I've tried playing with a strait wrist and that puts my wrist at a more akward angle than a slight bend. Again I dont mean bend you wrist at a right angle. I'm saying play with the guitar in the most comfortable way that you can. If that means wearing it as a chin strap, then wear a chin strap. If you feel the best with it low wear it low. And just to be clear one more time, I don't mean play with your wrist bent like your trying to touch your forearm.
Unread 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #82

Send a message via AIM to Jaymze13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crstngtrplyr77 View Post
My only suggestion for relieving wrist pain and hopefully putting your wrist in better condition (in addition to proper posture) would be good stretching and warming up before any practice or gig.
I recently saw a video of Pettruci on YouTube from one of his early teaching courses where he talked about stretching your hands. I started trying to do some of those techniques when I think about it. One of them is bending the wrist over backwards and try and get a burn for about 10 seconds. I do it when I think about it.

Last Sunday morning while announcements were going on, I was sitting down on stage and doing that wrist bend thing. The church photographer took 2 pics of me doing that and put it on his website. I look like a moron!
Jaymze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #83
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Yeah, Petrucci has always reccomded stretching before playing. Which makes me think I should having band stretching, warm up, and a short workout before every practice and every show.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #84
Now with Banstick™

That Petrucci video were the exact stretches I was talking about actually. I try to do them all as much as I can. It definitely helps increase stamina and dexterity.
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #85
All Hands on Deck

I agree with what a lot of people are saying...its easier to play when its high...
Switchfoot ,U2 , DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, Anberlin , Mae, Relient K , P.O.D. , Pillar , Creed , Guardian , Styx , Stryper , Stations- [B]TVU, Tri-rock Radio, Radio U, Purevolume, Relevant TV </marquee direction="left" Scroll delay500></Scrollamount="1">

check out my <a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145225">blog</a>

Quotes -"Hope is stronger than it seems"
-Chance (by DC Talk)

-"Red letters kill your disbelief" - Audrey, Start the Revolution (by Anberlin)
HolyRockJfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #86
The Fallen

Send a message via AIM to Sith of blades
I like to ware mine at about waist hight/just above my waist, and the neck slightly up. So, my arm controling the fretboard is almost fully extended, that way I'm loose and can move my guitar around as I please when I play.

I really would say it's just a matter of preference though, what your comfortable with.
Unread 01-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #87
Now with Banstick™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith of blades View Post
I like to ware mine at about waist hight/just above my waist, and the neck slightly up. So, my arm controling the fretboard is almost fully extended, that way I'm loose and can move my guitar around as I please when I play.

I really would say it's just a matter of preference though, what your comfortable with.
I would agree with you, but with major reservation. There's a point where you will be doing damage to yourself by continuously playing a certain way. There is a good area to be in, and with in that area, it's preferance (for instance, I don't play as high as John Petrucci does, but I play it significantly higher than earlessdog... I'm at a point where it's comfortable for me, but I won't be doing damage to myself).
Unread 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
Well he plays with his guitars almost strait up and down, and when he solos he plays strait up and down.
I've been trying to picture myself playing like that since I read your response yesterday. I guess I could make a strap out of chains and see what the people think then.

I need to see some more shots and clips of Zakk playing like that. It sounds like a combination of cool and being functional.
Unread 01-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #89
Skynyrd Gomer

Well he also plays with his left foot on a monitor while fronting BLS. With Ozzy he stand with a very wide stance and get a saimiler effect. And he doesn't use normal strap buttons/locks, he uses I think it's called a eye hook(thats doesn't sound right) with D clamps.
Unread 01-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #90

Don't forget the heavy gauge chain also. At least on his bullseye Paul.

Till I figure out how to do that in a Sunday morning context, I've moved my strap up a couple of notches this afternoon. I've had it this high before, or nearly this high. I'll go a few weeks and see if it helps with any hand and wrist discomfort.