Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 1 2.78%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 1 2.78%
5 2 5.56%
6 0 0%
7 5 13.89%
8 9 25.00%
9 5 13.89%
10 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #31
Red Sox Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naragrath View Post
- Oh!Gravity

Agreed. I liked the edgier, more intense Switchfoot. Songs like 'Oh! Gravity' and 'American Dream' fit the bill, but I don't know, this album is probably thier most disapointing now that I think about it. The lyrics are the same, the music's quirkiness runs dry after a while, and there's no really spectacular single on this like 'Meant to Live' or 'Stars'. Nothing Is Sound is still my fav.
Intense?? You haven't heard intense. Go listen to Project 86, and then tell me if NIS was intense.

Anyway, the lyrics are anything but the same! You've got Yesterday, Faust, Midas..., and Circles. So diverse, and they're great! I personally loved the wordplay at the start of American Dream, although that wasn't the best song.

Meant to Live was not a spectacular single, IMO. The lyrics were exactly the same as most of their other stuff..."We were meant to live for so much more" is about as generic as it gets.

And I agree with most people who dislike NIS. There were a few bright spots like "Shadow...Sunshine", but there was nothing extremely brilliant about the CD.

On the other hand...O!G had musical brilliance to its finest, especially in the variety and the fullness of proper production. LOC was raw, LTB was over-produced, and TBL and NIS were Switchfoot trying to be something they weren't. This was true Switchfoot.

~A good friend of mine
"Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail..."
~Coheed and Cambria, The End Complete V: On the Brink
Tale of the Nine: my Songwriting project!
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
+SEAL+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by +SEAL+ View Post
On the other hand...O!G had musical brilliance to its finest, especially in the variety and the fullness of proper production. LOC was raw, LTB was over-produced, and TBL and NIS were Switchfoot trying to be something they weren't. This was true Switchfoot.
Agreed 100%!

-dr
Dr. Knownothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #33
Proud to be irish

First, how is this pure Switchfoot if this is something we're just now seeing. How do we know that pure Switchfoot isn't New Way to Be Human Switchfoot or Legend of Chin Switchfoot?

Second, Meant to Live is the least of it when it comes to lyrical genericity (is that a word?). The only songs about living for "so much more" are Meant to Live, and I guess American Dream (but American Dream also confronts materialism). However, there's a handful of materialism songs. List includes five songs from Oh! Gravity, one from New Way to Be Human, and two from Beautiful Letdown. That's a lopsided statistic, I think. Musically, I guess it's more of a personal preference, and I personally prefer the TBL sound.

*realizes this is CPF*

I think...I may have just pwnt myself.
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh!Gravity View Post
First, how is this pure Switchfoot if this is something we're just now seeing. How do we know that pure Switchfoot isn't New Way to Be Human Switchfoot or Legend of Chin Switchfoot?

Second, Meant to Live is the least of it when it comes to lyrical genericity (is that a word?). The only songs about living for "so much more" are Meant to Live, and I guess American Dream (but American Dream also confronts materialism). However, there's a handful of materialism songs. List includes five songs from Oh! Gravity, one from New Way to Be Human, and two from Beautiful Letdown. That's a lopsided statistic, I think. Musically, I guess it's more of a personal preference, and I personally prefer the TBL sound.
I believe there is a difference between a lyric being "general" and an album having a "general" theme. TBL had general lyrics. Albums, in most cases, have general themes. This one's theme, according to your opinion, may be materialism.

As far as "pure Switchfoot", what was meant was that Switchfoot, with Oh! Gravity, returned to it's pop/rock style of music and lyrics, rather than the alt style of TBL and some of NIS. This is the Switchfoot we saw a lot of on the first 3 albums.

Regardless of what "pure Switchfoot" is, I still believe this to be their most mature album to date. It may not be their best, however.
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #35
Rocks for Christ!

This album is awesome! I pre-order'd it 3 months before it came out!,

I really like the acoustic songs on this album, even tho they are kinda of sad.

Awakening is my fav song on this album.
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #36
Proud to be irish

What was the general theme in TBL? I thought the lyrical themes on TBL were very widespread.

*realizes this is CPF*

Unread 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #37
Red Sox Rocker

You're mixing up general theme and general lyric. A lyric can be general without fitting into the general theme. A general theme is good, general lyrics are not.
~A good friend of mine
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #38
Proud to be irish

One of the reasons why Beautiful Letdown and Learning to Breathe were so good was because of their lyrical diversity. None of the songs had the same lyrical themes as another. Doesn't it seem like a bit much to have FIVE songs on an album all be about one thing?

*realizes this is CPF*

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #39
Red Sox Rocker

Disparate lyrical themes is bad. A theme is good to tie an album together. It makes all the songs connect. What O!G did was explore different parts of that theme. It took the idea of "emptiness of modern culture" and investigated relationships (Amateur Lovers), materialism (American Dream, Faust...), the sense of confusion (Circles), weariness with the culture (4:12) and even had a theme song (Oh!Gravity.). There were also bits of hope (Awakening, Yesterday, Burn Out Bright) on the CD. Overall, it read like a story.
~A good friend of mine
Unread 06-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by +SEAL+ View Post
Disparate lyrical themes is bad. A theme is good to tie an album together. It makes all the songs connect. What O!G did was explore different parts of that theme. It took the idea of "emptiness of modern culture" and investigated relationships (Amateur Lovers), materialism (American Dream, Faust...), the sense of confusion (Circles), weariness with the culture (4:12) and even had a theme song (Oh!Gravity.). There were also bits of hope (Awakening, Yesterday, Burn Out Bright) on the CD. Overall, it read like a story.
Agreed, once again.

In response to Oh!Gravity, TBL, as far as I can hear, didn't seem to have a general theme, unless it was the "meant to live for so much more" theme with songs like Meant to Live, Gone, More than Fine, This is Your Life, Dare You to Move. As stated earlier, most albums have a theme. It may be hard to find on some however.

The problem with TBL's "theme" as Seal said earlier, is that the lyrics are so general and nonspecific. I do like TBL, don't get me wrong, however, of all my Switchfoot albums, it gets the least play, and I think O!G is on a different level of music entirely. But, it's all in taste and preference.

-dr
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #41
BOOM HEADSHOT!!

Great CD. Top songs are "Awakening," "Oh! Gravity," "American Dream."

-Revelation 20:10 (NLT)

http://www.myspace.com/zatchroxforgsus
schecter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #42
Aussie Awesome

Good but not Great I give it a s7

The Beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair