Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 1 2.78%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 1 2.78%
5 2 5.56%
6 0 0%
7 5 13.89%
8 9 25.00%
9 5 13.89%
10 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
Pick Up Your Cross

Oh! Gravity

I just jumped into Switchfoot and have thier 3 new CDs. I like this one a lot, but I just want to know why everyone didn't like Nothing Is Sound? I think its there best. The one thing I was disapointed with on this CD was that there was a lack of their trademark molten lava heart shaking, mind blowing, intro riffs (Meant To Live, Stars, Politicians). Kind of lacking some very memorable guitar (though that goofy Oh! Gravity riff sticks in your head). All in all I give it a 9. Excellent stuff.
Jdc

Naragrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
WhereDogFightingLeadsTo

good CD in my opinion it was the best CD overall.

Only the Losers win...
Chem6Afreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
WhereDogFightingLeadsTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naragrath View Post
I just jumped into Switchfoot and have thier 3 new CDs. I like this one a lot, but I just want to know why everyone didn't like Nothing Is Sound? I think its there best. The one thing I was disapointed with on this CD was that there was a lack of their trademark molten lava heart shaking, mind blowing, intro riffs (Meant To Live, Stars, Politicians). Kind of lacking some very memorable guitar (though that goofy Oh! Gravity riff sticks in your head). All in all I give it a 9. Excellent stuff.
Jdc
Yah there new stuff rocked, but the true switchfoot is in there first three albums.

Only the Losers win...
Chem6Afreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #19
Pick Up Your Cross

I now have (and have listened intensley) to the first three Switchfoot albums and I really like them a lot. Having heard those, I would agree that Beautiful Letdown and Nothing Is Sound seems to have been a little bit of a departure for them, but Oh! Gravity, seems to be thier return. Thier past stuff was quirky, original, and catchy, and Oh! Gravity certainly is quirky and original...and most songs are pretty catchy. All in all, Oh! Gravity is probably my third favorite album, behind NIS and LTB.
Nar
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
Firefox enlightened

Mr. claw agrees.
Mr. claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #21
is blessed beyond measure

Send a message via AIM to tigerfan88 Send a message via MSN to tigerfan88 Send a message via Yahoo to tigerfan88
At first, I almost hated the album. But I've grown to like it. So I say "8". I still like their last two CDs a bit better, though. But this one has some great tracks on it.
tigerfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #22
Red Sox Rocker

This CD brought new-school Switchfoot back into the top tier of music. TBL and NIS were not great albums. Okay, not great. But now I can appreciate NIS for what it was: growing pains.

O!G was essentially a fusion of the new and the old, and in a way that really takes the old and makes it even better. I loved the feel to all of the songs, and this one had some really great moments. I liked the Beatles feel of 4:12, and Yesterday was a very nice song.

The second half of this CD was amazing. I loved the first half, but I bet that it'll get overplayed to death on the radio. Especially Awakening. But it is a good song.

Overall, since I've never actually handed out a 10 (I think), this gets a 9. Really close to a 9.5, though.
~A good friend of mine
"Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail..."
~Coheed and Cambria, The End Complete V: On the Brink
Tale of the Nine: my Songwriting project!
"Tails flies away, but the Link hookshots him, beats him with the magic hammer, boomerangs him in the head, bombs him, freezes him and then lights him on fire, creates blocks to through at him, shoots him with arrows, and then whacks him with the master sword. That's one heck of a bat belt that Link has there. Link advances." (From the Video Game Showdown)
+SEAL+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
23 frets of randomness

Send a message via MSN to i_am_a_pirate
faust, midas and myself is RUBBISH.
the rest is amazing.
I am currently bass tabbing Oh! Gravity, American Dream, Amateur lovers, yesterdays, Burn out bright and 4:12!
hehe. alot of work
amateur lovers, yesterdays and american dream should be up shortly

your leg's off!
no it isn't.

i was wondering why frizbees get bigger in midair. then it hit me

what's the similarity bettween a chav and a slinky? they're both pointless but it's fun watching them fall down the stairs.
i_am_a_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
23 frets of randomness

Send a message via MSN to i_am_a_pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
I love the Awakening.
AMAZING! i would tab it if i could

your leg's off!
no it isn't.

i was wondering why frizbees get bigger in midair. then it hit me

what's the similarity bettween a chav and a slinky? they're both pointless but it's fun watching them fall down the stairs.
i_am_a_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #25

10, love this album. A breath of fresh air after Nothing is Sound (I'd give it a 5). Shows a lot of versatility and really shows Jon's lyrical skill.

Must have.

-dr
Dr. Knownothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_a_pirate View Post
faust, midas and myself is RUBBISH.
the rest is amazing.
I am currently bass tabbing Oh! Gravity, American Dream, Amateur lovers, yesterdays, Burn out bright and 4:12!
hehe. alot of work
amateur lovers, yesterdays and american dream should be up shortly
Lol, Faust, Midas and Myself is one of my favorite songs on the CD. 4:12 and Dirty Second Hands are right behind that.

-dr
Unread 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
Proud to be irish

This is probably Switchfoot's worst CD to date. I'd still give it a 6 or 7, but, for one, the lyrical themes are nothing new. Amateur Lovers is pretty much the same song (lyrically) as Easier Than Love. American Dream, Dirty Second Hands, Faust, AND Circles are all about materialism. That's almost HALF of the CD. I like all of those songs (Circles to a lesser extent), but the lyrical themes just become generic. I don't know why, but 4:12 just doesn't do anything for me. There is a bright spot, though. Awakening, Head Over Heels, and Burn Out Bright are all fantastic. However, I do believe that Switchfoot should go back to their Beautiful Letdown sound. I liked the alternative Switchfoot more than I like the pop/rock Switchfoot.

*realizes this is CPF*

I think...I may have just pwnt myself.
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh!Gravity View Post
This is probably Switchfoot's worst CD to date. I'd still give it a 6 or 7, but, for one, the lyrical themes are nothing new. Amateur Lovers is pretty much the same song (lyrically) as Easier Than Love. American Dream, Dirty Second Hands, Faust, AND Circles are all about materialism. That's almost HALF of the CD. I like all of those songs (Circles to a lesser extent), but the lyrical themes just become generic. I don't know why, but 4:12 just doesn't do anything for me. There is a bright spot, though. Awakening, Head Over Heels, and Burn Out Bright are all fantastic. However, I do believe that Switchfoot should go back to their Beautiful Letdown sound. I liked the alternative Switchfoot more than I like the pop/rock Switchfoot.
But, IMO, if you listen to Legend of Chin or New Way to be Human, Oh! Gravity is more like the Switchfoot of the past than The Beautiful Letdown. And, if you haven't heard any of their first 3 records, I strongly suggest you give them a good listen. They were pop/rock before they were alternative.

-dr
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #29
Pick Up Your Cross

Quote:
- Oh!Gravity

Agreed. I liked the edgier, more intense Switchfoot. Songs like 'Oh! Gravity' and 'American Dream' fit the bill, but I don't know, this album is probably thier most disapointing now that I think about it. The lyrics are the same, the music's quirkiness runs dry after a while, and there's no really spectacular single on this like 'Meant to Live' or 'Stars'. Nothing Is Sound is still my fav.
There is a way out, just open up the door
-Behind the Door, Crossbearer
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #30

This is a v. gd album, i gave it an 8. I wasn't sure how much i liked it at first, but having listened to it more, i can say that it's really grown on me.

I have all their albums - Learning to Breathe is probs my favourite, and the earlier albums were really gd too, as was TBL. NIS had a few gd songs, but i wasn't really impressed by it. I think i prefer Switchfoot as a 'pop/rock' band -they do the polished alternative rock well, but so do a fair amount of bands, while their original, quirky style makes them a more standout band.

at times, O!G seems a bit contrived to me - trying too hard to be random, but only on occasions. but they have gone back to a more raw sound, which is gd.
John Allison is offline   Reply With Quote