Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Soloing compilation

Hey, we've tried this before a few times, and I'm curious if anyone wants to try again. If the idea is liked, we can move forward and get a backtrack and stuff, but just wondering if this'll work, 'cause I'm interested in it again .

Looking forward to your responses!

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #2

what exactly is this thread for again? doesn't exactly explain itself.

Check out my blog?

irtrogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I apologize;

I remember that, a while ago, there was a thread that was somewhat of a solo contest. If there was much interest, it'd be a vote on what type of backtrack it'd be, like, for example, blues. Then someone recorded or found a good one and everyone solo'd separately over it, so it was the same backtrack for 'em all. Then I guess there were judges, though that didn't work very well, if I recall correctly

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #4

haha, sounds like something that would be hard to do on a forum. perhaps if it was really well organized, then it would be fun.

Check out my blog?

Unread 12-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
power chord hater

...sounds cool. I remember glancing at the last one. I wouldn't mind jumping in this time..
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #6

i have lots of backing tracks and stuff (good ones too) just tell me if you want a list of what i got (i need to dig it up)

Check out my blog?

Unread 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #7

I can't solo for peanuts...and I've been playing since I was 7.
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #8

I would definitely be interested. I vote for a relatively uptempo bluesy rock backing track, maybe something kinda rock n' roll ish
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #9

If it's metal...I'm in

http://www.smoothstoneguitars.com

....In case you were wondering, I am not dale
BlessedNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedNinja View Post
If it's metal...I'm in
I would say go with a rock-ish backing track, kind of middle-of-the-road.

Why?

Well as far as soloing goes, if the track is not too metal, but not too blues, you can choose to play a metal solo, a blues solo, or something in the middle, and they could all fit the track, I think moderation is key because it allows the widest number of styles (so that you're not squeezing any would-be participants into a genre that doesn't fit them). Now obviously you can't judge a bluegrass solo vs. metal, but it allows more variety.

Now as far as the judging issue.
Any judge would be partial to a certain genre, and as impartial as you try to be, you're still going to hear the genre you lean towards. The other issue is what the solo will be evaluated on. What is more important, technical difficulty or tone?

I would argue tone; a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone (especially when it doesn't fit the song)
Unread 12-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I would actually probably join in on this one if we did it
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
I would say go with a rock-ish backing track, kind of middle-of-the-road.

Why?

Well as far as soloing goes, if the track is not too metal, but not too blues, you can choose to play a metal solo, a blues solo, or something in the middle, and they could all fit the track, I think moderation is key because it allows the widest number of styles (so that you're not squeezing any would-be participants into a genre that doesn't fit them). Now obviously you can't judge a bluegrass solo vs. metal, but it allows more variety.

Now as far as the judging issue.
Any judge would be partial to a certain genre, and as impartial as you try to be, you're still going to hear the genre you lean towards. The other issue is what the solo will be evaluated on. What is more important, technical difficulty or tone?

I would argue tone; a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone (especially when it doesn't fit the song)
I like your thinking, both about the backing tracks and the judging. I agree about the evaluation thing too, like you said a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
power chord hater

Define tone. Because (if you define it like I think you define it) then you are basing a lot of your judging criteria on the guitarists equipment instead of his ability.

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude View Post
I like your thinking, both about the backing tracks and the judging. I agree about the evaluation thing too, like you said a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone
thanks...

Now I don't want it to look like I am against this thing, quite on the contrary, I do think it is a great idea. It could be very benificial for those who are still looking how to get certain sounds. If everyone keeps track of what they used (guitar, effects, and amp) then they can help those looking to find a sound like the one recorded.

On judging?
Well, it isn't a bad idea, but how is it beneficial to the community? I am sure it is beneficial to the winner, but to those who lose based upon their genre (I am not speaking of those who lose based upon still developing skill or tone) it can be rather discouraging, but the clips themselves would be very beneficial. Perhaps it would be really neat to stick with a single backing track but have separate genres of cometition. The competitor can choose where they want to enter their solo, whether it be an acoustic into the metal catagory, or a high gain PRS/Mesa combo into the acoustic catagory, but they must be judge not only on their skill and tone, but also how well their style fits the catagory. (IOW: put your clip in the correct catagory!) That way everyone can hear the genre they want AND compete within it as well as be judged against it.

Now it just comes down to finding a backing track and defining the catagories of genre.

Perhaps, if we wanted a 'championship' of sorts we could take the best solo from each genre and put them in a new thread w/ voting for the best, to allow popularity vote for #1, a neat idea anyway, in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Define tone. Because (if you define it like I think you define it) then you are basing a lot of your judging criteria on the guitarists equipment instead of his ability.
well tone is very simple, if you are recording with absolutely terrible stuff then chances are it isn't going to sound very good, but the same goes for expensive stuff. The other electric guitarist at my church has about a $15,000 rig, all included, his tone? Terrible, thin and ice-pic'ish. Would somebody like it? Probably, he does, haha, but would it do well in a 'blues' competition? ummmmm... no.

You can get great tone without expensive gear.
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
power chord hater

Sounds good. For me, I know I'm looking forward to it just for ideas and such. To hear different people with different styles solo over the same track that I am is extremely beneficial. Often when I play, I play what I feel should go there w/out considering that there is a plathera of options that could fill the space. This is going to be really cool.

www.stickandstrum.com