Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
1. That's how narrow-minded that particular modeler is. It may be time for a replacement.
In no way am I saying the tone is bad, you know I love it.
Quote:
2. I'll bet you that if I miked a tube amp and recorded it, you'd still hear a somewhat similar sound to the Genesis.

It's in the fingers.
I still don't get that part. Let's figure out the variables when it comes to "fingers". You have the amount of pressure you're fretting the strings with, how hard you're picking strings, etc. But, then the sound comes down to the individual notes played and the phrases in which they are played in.

Obviously, you can say "tone is in the fingers" when you're playing something you came up with, but consider this situation:

If I learned a song of Joe Satriani's, and could play it with my eyes closed perfectly, with evert note correct, and I had his guitar, amp, and FX, I am almost positive I could sound exactly like him.

Unread 01-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #77
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy View Post
If I learned a song of Joe Satriani's, and could play it with my eyes closed perfectly, with evert note correct, and I had his guitar, amp, and FX, I am almost positive I could sound exactly like him.
No offense intended but I am almost positive that you would not sound like him...you would sound like you....UNLESS you could emulate every single nuance introduced into his playing through both his style of picking and his style of fingering the notes.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #78
Oh, so chickens DON'T fly

you guys rock...i wish i had the gear to record some... but i'm out of luck and money... so, i'll just listen lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not who you are inside, it's what you do that defines you.
adamkaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #79

Quote:
No offense intended but I am almost positive that you would not sound like him...you would sound like you....UNLESS you could emulate every single nuance introduced into his playing through both his style of picking and his style of fingering the notes.
But my question is, how does a change in the way you move your fingers to fret a note change your tone is such a drastic way? Other than making clean switches, obviously.
Unread 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #80
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy View Post
But my question is, how does a change in the way you move your fingers to fret a note change your tone is such a drastic way? Other than making clean switches, obviously.
I would say it's not only in how you move your fingers but I'd also attribute it to the uniqueness found in the physical make-up of each person.
We're like snowflakes, yes? No two exactly alike. Therefore...

I'm not saying that you couldn't cop some other players tone fairly closely. Same rig, same song, similar technique...you can get close.
I can sound like a few of my bigger influences if I try (Gary Rossington, Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck and Tommy Walker to name a few) but there will be a difference and I'm thankful for that.

At the end of the day (so to speak), I want to sound like me regardless if I'm playing a Les Paul through a Bad Cat or a cheap Squier through a cheap modeler.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #81
Uhm

Send a message via AIM to Steve Lowe Send a message via MSN to Steve Lowe Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Lowe
Quote:
Here's my take on the "Funk" backing. It's a fun chord progression to play over.

FYI: this was played using my new $110 Squier Strat run through the Genesis 1 w/ Boutique/Blonde 2x12 settings.
Nice. This is one of those tracks that makes me want to pack it in. Great job, Dave.
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:55 AM   #82
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Here's my take on the "Funk" backing. It's a fun chord progression to play over.

FYI: this was played using my new $110 Squier Strat run through the Genesis 1 w/ Boutique/Blonde 2x12 settings.
The thing I love most about this track is that it honestly sounds like you're having fun.

Heck, sounds like a fun progression to play. I think I'll take a pass at it later.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #83
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Gtrdave, that funk track is crazy-good! I agree with Rainer, though: What I love about it is that it sounds like you're having fun, and I don't doubt that you are .

I need to get a few of my recordings going...

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #84
Godin/Seagull Man

Here is the final draft of mine. I know I am not as good as Dave, Rainer, El Cabong or lots of other folks but it is the best acoustic solo so far I would like to see some more of the beginning solo players post their clips. Where's yours DaGeek? You started this thread after all. This has been fun. I think I could learn a lot by doing this. We should do it more often. BTW: Where is a good place to get free backing tracks?

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac--> K&K SBT + mic-->K&K Trinity Preamp-->BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) -->Fender Blues Junior

The Holy Spirit (who turns all my foolishness into beautiful praise to the Father)
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #85
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Here is the final draft of mine. I know I am not as good as Dave, Rainer, El Cabong or lots of other folks but it is the best acoustic solo so far I would like to see some more of the beginning solo players post their clips. Where's yours DaGeek? You started this thread after all. This has been fun. I think I could learn a lot by doing this. We should do it more often. BTW: Where is a good place to get free backing tracks?
I would like to do an acoustic an an electric solo, but I still need to be at least semi-satisfied with my tries . How 'bout this: I'll record today, and, even if I don't like it a lot, I'll post it

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #86
Lost Dog

Send a message via AIM to Peatrical Send a message via Yahoo to Peatrical
Dave I really enjoyed the Blues and the funk solos you did, great job!

My CGR Journal
Peatrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #87
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Alright, I sat down and recorded my little improv over Rock Ballad. It's not that great, and I made a few mistakes, and it gets really fuzzy in some parts due to the FX Loop, but I think it's okay .

Unread 01-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #88
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Alright, I sat down and recorded my little improv over Rock Ballad. It's not that great, and I made a few mistakes, and it gets really fuzzy in some parts due to the FX Loop, but I think it's okay .
Pretty good. Your technique is definitely coming along. I like your melody.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #89
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Pretty good. Your technique is definitely coming along. I like your melody.
Thanks, though I really need to learn how to develop more ideas overall . I recycle too much

Unread 01-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #90
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Here's my pass at the funk track. Boy I wasted a buncha time doing it. It took me a while to get Dave's track out of my head, though.

It's not as impressive as Dave, but I can't play that fast.

The guitar is my Gibson LP Studio again, through a Soldano model on my PODxt Live, plus delay, wah, and whammy during the halftime bridge thing.

And it really is a fun track to play, y'all! Try it. The E minor pentatonic scale should make most guitarists feel right at home.

I think the real difference you get as you get more proficient in soloing across the fretboard is that with experience, you learn to loosen up a lot and your hand feels a lot freer moving acoress the fretboard. You worry less about where to fret, and just let your fingers move where you know they can.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote