Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Hellfighter Send a message via Yahoo to Hellfighter
a guitarist with excellent skill but poor tone is no more an "able guitarist" than one with little skill but great tone. In honesty, the two usually develop side by side, and are both key in developing into a proficient guitarist.

Unread 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #17

I'm in.
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #18

I'd like to, but I don't really have any really good recording gear, maybe I'll hike over to my friend's local studio if I REALLY like the track
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
a guitarist with excellent skill but poor tone is no more an "able guitarist" than one with little skill but great tone. In honesty, the two usually develop side by side, and are both key in developing into a proficient guitarist.
I wouldn't say that. I agree that they should develop together. But if I hear a guitarist with a lot of skill but lousy tone I can go over and tweak some stuff to make him sound better. If i hear a guitarist with great tone and no skill there's not too much i can do to help.

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #20

I still think that having a wide variety of different solos over the same track will be really cool, we should just pick some kind of a middle ground track like you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Define tone. Because (if you define it like I think you define it) then you are basing a lot of your judging criteria on the guitarists equipment instead of his ability.
Maybe in some ways, but a truly good player can make even bad equipment sound decent. Just remember a lot of tone is in your fingers, not your equipment.
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #21
Do a little dance

Send a message via AIM to mmmthasgood1
If someone would get this thing going I would give it a try.
mmmthasgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I wouldn't say that. I agree that they should develop together. But if I hear a guitarist with a lot of skill but lousy tone I can go over and tweak some stuff to make him sound better. If i hear a guitarist with great tone and no skill there's not too much i can do to help.
Yes, but if you are dealing with a long time guitarist, who has great skill but horrible tone, chances are that he doesn't agree with you that his tone is horrible, chances are he thinks he has really good tone, and chances are he's not going to let you fiddle with his knobs or his tone.

But I have often found that someone with great tone is always listening for how they can approve their skill.
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #23
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude View Post
Maybe in some ways, but a truly good player can make even bad equipment sound decent. Just remember a lot of tone is in your fingers, not your equipment.
Good point.

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #24

My track idea would be the rhythm form Keaggy's "Animal," but that's cause it is what I like, it isn't really in the middle, but it is an amazing song....
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Here's a thought...

In the past, when this has come up, no one ever agrees on the final judging criteria. Part of the reason for this is because we end up with one of two final situations:
1) open judging - everyone picks what they like, and alot of people aren't as critical as they should be (see the rate my gear thread for plenty of examples of people being really nice).
2) selected judges - you're playing to the judges' ear. if they aren't a big fan of whatever style you're proficient at, then you're out of luck.

So my solution would just be this: Why not make it like the Guitar Solo Thread only with a single backing track. No competition, just have people make solos and we can all critique each other without there needing to be a "best" anything. This also means we'd only have to decide on a backing track (or perhaps set of backing tracks) instead of a track set + which one is the best.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
My track idea would be the rhythm form Keaggy's "Animal," but that's cause it is what I like, it isn't really in the middle, but it is an amazing song....
Yeh dude, that would be sweet! I am really groovin' that. I don't have strat though, which is a bummer, cause a strat would be awesome for that track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Here's a thought...

In the past, when this has come up, no one ever agrees on the final judging criteria. Part of the reason for this is because we end up with one of two final situations:
1) open judging - everyone picks what they like, and alot of people aren't as critical as they should be (see the rate my gear thread for plenty of examples of people being really nice).
2) selected judges - you're playing to the judges' ear. if they aren't a big fan of whatever style you're proficient at, then you're out of luck.

So my solution would just be this: Why not make it like the Guitar Solo Thread only with a single backing track. No competition, just have people make solos and we can all critique each other without there needing to be a "best" anything. This also means we'd only have to decide on a backing track (or perhaps set of backing tracks) instead of a track set + which one is the best.
As much as I would like to do judging, I think you are right. An open thread like that would be better, cause when it comes to music, no judge can be completely impartial, AND judge well between different styles. If they don't like a particular style, then it will not be judged as high as maybe it should be. At the same time, you can't just have every random person judge. You are right, the "Rate my Gear" thread is a perfect example of that.
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #27
power chord hater

Quote:

I second.

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #28
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Here's a thought...

I third. Should have known Steve was going to save the day again
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #29

I might give it a go...but expect to laugh your head off..
For years I used a typical off-the-shelf bar-type soap and I had no idea that, even though I rinsed properly and thoroughly after every cleansing, there was still a soap scum residue on my hands and fingers.
This negatively affected my tone in ways that I just can't describe.
Then, on a whim, a few years ago I wandered into a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall and picked up some of their gentle foaming anti-bacterial hand cleansers.
The difference in my guitar's sound is so wickedly improved that I no longer feel the need to buy a new amp or pedals or even strings...EVER!
So, it's my belief that tone is in the soap.
Thank you and goodnight.
nbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Here's a thought...

Fourth'd. I remember that the judging wasn't that good of an idea last time, so I agree with Steve completely. I also would agree that a bluesy/rock backtrack would be nicer, probably a combination of the two. Anyone have any good ones?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote