Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
power chord hater

Out of this world guitar

So, i've been inspired by the cloth covered tele and the few other fabric guitars i've seen and decided to go for it.

I took apart a really crappy strat copy (stinger betacaster, haha) a few years ago with every intention to redo it but never got around to it. Well, it's been stripped of all the paint and completely gutted for a few years. I decided today to start on it.

I went to walmart and got some fabric and got to work today. I'm following www.projectguitar.com, though i think the finish product that they used for the model was pretty ugly.

Thus far, i've got a decent amount done. I sanded it down some this morning and then painted the body cavities and the sides just to give it a base coat for later. After that i spread my glue and put on the fabric for the back. (I'm glad i started on the back, because it is DEFINATELY much harder than it looks). I let it dry for 4 hours and went back to cut off the excess. It proved a lot harder than i had anticipated. As of now, i've got the fabric set on the back and the back cavity cut out.

Tomorrow I'm going to put the fabric on the front and put on a few coats of sealant to make the fabric hard. After that i'll sand and then paint the sides and put a few more coats of sealant on and be done.

Hopefully this will be finished tomorrow. I've been taking pics so i'll get them up as soon as the projects done.

(Sorry about the title. You'll understand after I post pics)
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Cool. I look forward to seeing the pics!
I wonder how this fabric finish affects sound.
I didn't like the material they used on that tutorial on projectguitar.com either.
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
power chord hater

In this case the sound was horrible anyway. So i don't have much to lose. If this one turns out as good as I think it will I plan on doing a few more in the future. It's actually pretty fun and definately quite rewarding. Hopefully i'll have it done with pics up tomorrow!

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 12-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Look me in the eyes

Send a message via AIM to asiammyself
Sweet I cant wait to see it.....I really liked the tele someone did on here. Im looking forward to this one.
asiammyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Staff Sergeat

Please do post pictures. This sounds like a GREAT guitar.
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
power chord hater

Well, I just glued down the fabric to the front of the guitar. It has to try for another hour or so and then i'll cut out the body cavaties and the excess. After that a few coats of clear coat to seal it. Trim it again. Then painting. I think i may finish today. Either way i'll try to post some progress pics. I'm very pleased thus far.

Unfortunately, it's just going to be a show guitar cuz I have no parts. I cut them all out a few years ago because I had no clue what i was doing. Ideally I'd like to upgrade my MIM strat and put those parts into this one, but that may be awhile. Anyone wanna donate parts? haha. I'll post pics later.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com

Last edited by snizzle; 12-27-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 12-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
power chord hater

So i've got one, maybe two coats of clear coat left. It's starting to harden up and looks pretty good. The only thing working against me is daylight. I think i'll have the clearcoats done, the edges finished, and the whole thing sanded by dark.

...which means tomorrow is going to be the final paint job. I'll post some pics tonight so that you guys can get an idea. peace.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 12-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
power chord hater

this thing really is a pain. Trimming down the fabric enough to not be frayed is pretty hard work. I've probably spent 8-10 hours working on this guitar so far and i'm not sure of what the results will be like. I'm halfway through painting the sides and fading the back and then i'll move on to the front. Then the clear coats.

I also decided today to paint the headstock black to match. Hopefully, it'll be done with pics today.

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
power chord hater

LONG awaited update

So, this is a LONG awaited update. I took detailed pics of the whole process but for the time being i've lost them. Here are some pics I took today.

All but one of my students have cancelled today so I decided to spend the day working on the electronics. Originally I just gutted the guitar (as you can see from the pics) but i saved all the parts.

So, i'm going to work on my electronics and soldering by reinstalling everything. This is my first attempt at anything like this, but seeing as though I have nothing to lose i'm pretty optomistic.

After I get everything installed and figure out how everything works i'll look at upgrades.

So, what do you think of the guitar? I didn't have a before pic but it looked like your basic green strat w/ white pickguard. What do you think I should do for the rest of it? What kind of pickguard, knobs, etc? My original thought is just to paint everything black. What do you think guys?
-shane
Attached Thumbnails
p9100233.jpg   p9100235.jpg   p9100236.jpg   p9100237.jpg  

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

That's pretty cool.
I'm sad that you will have to put a pickguard on it though and cover up some stuff. Actually, why not cover the pickguard with the same material? That would be ideal.
I think some of those transparent colored knobs you can get would be cool with this. Maybe get one blue, one green, and one red (perhaps yellow). It's now a theme guitar so you might as well go all the way with it.
I'd also go with a black bridge, pickup covers, and jack holder.
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #11

no way! black is bad.
gold harware man! tiny bit more, but so much classier looking.
maybe like this
http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/...th%20Anniv.jpg

and grab some gold knobs to.
i have some that are similar on my guitar and they are sweet.
these are a little wierd, but they might work with your guitar.
also, i might go with a perloid pickguard if you need one, but none at all would look pretty cool too.

Check out my blog?

irtrogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Oh, piffle.

Chrome might be better than gold, but not black.

Man. That guitar is awesome. I think chrome would be GOOD.
LefseRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
power chord hater

Thanks for the great responses!

It's a toss up between chrome and black. I'm just not a gold fan. I'm a big fan of unusual/unique things. So I want this to look unlike any other guitar. Keep the ideas coming!

I wish I would have thought about covering the pickguard in the same material!! Since it's a pattern, it would be next to impossible to match what's already on there. Probably just a black pickguard. Maybe a clear pickguard? Do they make those?

Are there other options besides the standard strat pickguard?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
power chord hater

What should I do w/ the headstock? Right now it's just painted black and I've got the standard chrome hardware. I had considered putting cloth on the headstock but it's REALLY hard to cut that cloth out around tight spaces. Ideas?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Oh, piffle.

Maybe paint it in similar colours. Suppose you did some kind of swirl!

Chrome, chrome, chrome!

Black or clear pickguard. Clear would be awesome.
LefseRae is offline   Reply With Quote