Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #61
power chord hater

I cut it in half when I took apart the guitar a few years ago...That will be one of the last things I finish.

Soldering irons hot. I'm going to go desolder everything and then start fresh. I'm using a diagram for a 50's/60's strat. Should be good!
-shane

Well, that was quite an experience. That was my first experience soldering and I think i've pretty much gotten the hang of it. Of course, I need to do A LOT of work to perfect the art of it!

I think if I had three hands it would have been a lot easier.

So I wired up all the pups and pots. All I haven't done is the output jack and wired from the pots to the tremolo claw. (Basically it looks like I run a wire from pot to pot and then to the tremolo claw, right?)

What exactly does running it to the tremolo claw do? Does that ground it?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com

Last edited by thesteve; 09-15-2007 at 01:11 PM.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #62

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Well, that was quite an experience. That was my first experience soldering and I think i've pretty much gotten the hang of it. Of course, I need to do A LOT of work to perfect the art of it!

I think if I had three hands it would have been a lot easier.

So I wired up all the pups and pots. All I haven't done is the output jack and wired from the pots to the tremolo claw. (Basically it looks like I run a wire from pot to pot and then to the tremolo claw, right?)

What exactly does running it to the tremolo claw do? Does that ground it?
-shane
oh yeah...alligator clips are a great help. At Radio Shack they actually sell tools that a lot of people use for soldering work to help hold things in place.

I believe the schematic you have should explain how to properly wire up the ground wires. Usually I think all ground wires go to the back of a single pot and that single pot goes to the tremolo claw.

Wiring to the trem claw grounds the strings.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #63
power chord hater

I think i've lost some pieces along the way. I've got the bridge and trem claw, but isn't there a piece that goes under the bridge (towards the trem cavity) that the other side of the trem springs hang onto?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #64

Quote:
I think i've lost some pieces along the way. I've got the bridge and trem claw, but isn't there a piece that goes under the bridge (towards the trem cavity) that the other side of the trem springs hang onto?
-shane
pictures might be helpful
This is the trem claw. One end of the springs attaches to the trem blockand the other end goes to the claw.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #65
power chord hater

Trem block. That's what I'm missing. (I was going to look for pics but I couldn't think of the name)

Is there to make it work without the trem block? I'm not going to use the tremolo, ever.
-shane

*EDIT* For some reason there's an extreme lack of resources (and products) on this particular aspect. Here's what I decided to do (Please correct me if i'm doing something remarkably stupid):

1) Instead of grounding the strings at the trem claw I'm going to route and ground it on the bridge.
2) I'm going to run the strings directly into the bottom of the bridge, thus removing the trem block and trem claw from the equation.

Will this work? I'm going to get to work on it.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com

Last edited by snizzle; 09-15-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Unread 09-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #66

Quote:
*EDIT* For some reason there's an extreme lack of resources (and products) on this particular aspect. Here's what I decided to do (Please correct me if i'm doing something remarkably stupid):

1) Instead of grounding the strings at the trem claw I'm going to route and ground it on the bridge.
2) I'm going to run the strings directly into the bottom of the bridge, thus removing the trem block and trem claw from the equation.

Will this work? I'm going to get to work on it.
-shane
As long as the strings' ball ends will stay under the bridge I suppose it would work.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #67
power chord hater

Yea, I checked before I posted. I wasn't sure if it would work either. So far so good.

All done except for grounding to the bridge. I've got the wire run but I want to sprat paint the bridge and output jack cover black before installing. Off to walmart!

Ok, waiting for the paint to dry. I installed the tuners, so basically...as soon as it's dry I'll install the bridge and output jack, put in the backplate, screw down the pickguard, string it up and see what happens!

I'm pretty excited, although i'm pretty sure i'm not going to get any sound out of it.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com

Last edited by thesteve; 09-15-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 09-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Ok, waiting for the paint to dry. I installed the tuners, so basically...as soon as it's dry I'll install the bridge and output jack, put in the backplate, screw down the pickguard, string it up and see what happens!

I'm pretty excited, although i'm pretty sure i'm not going to get any sound out of it.
-shane
do you think you messed something up already?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #69
power chord hater

Haha, seeing as though this is my first time...i'm almost positive.

And, I've been trying to remember why I took it apart in the first place. It was broken somehow. Hopefully, I accidentally fixed whatever the problem was!
-shane

...and now I am depressed.

So, I put it all together and strung it up (a bit hastily, i mist admit) and nothing. Well, not nothing. Maybe you can help me isolate the problem(s).

When I plug it in I get a loud hum. The hum remains constant on all 5 positions until it gets to position 5, then it is softer than the rest.

There is no sound being picked up, but when I tap on the strings the tap comes through. (This ones got me baffled).

Also, the point of the trem block (well, one of the points) is to give the bridge something to be screwed down to in the back. Right now the bridge is only screwed in on the front, so the back is lifted from the body a bit.

Also, it won't hold tune. This is probably a mixture of the neck placement and the tuners.

Basically, it's just a mess right now. I'm pretty bummed because i've neglected my wife and spent the whole day on it and I have little to nothing to show for it.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com

Last edited by thesteve; 09-15-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #70
Rocks for Christ!

Quote:

So, I put it all together and strung it up (a bit hastily, i mist admit) and nothing. Well, not nothing. Maybe you can help me isolate the problem(s).

When I plug it in I get a loud hum. The hum remains constant on all 5 positions until it gets to position 5, then it is softer than the rest.

There is no sound being picked up, but when I tap on the strings the tap comes through. (This ones got me baffled).

Also, the point of the trem block (well, one of the points) is to give the bridge something to be screwed down to in the back. Right now the bridge is only screwed in on the front, so the back is lifted from the body a bit.

Also, it won't hold tune. This is probably a mixture of the neck placement and the tuners.

Basically, it's just a mess right now. I'm pretty bummed because i've neglected my wife and spent the whole day on it and I have little to nothing to show for it.
-shane
New strings don't ever hold tune quickly.

maybe you didn't solder it right, when my brother fixed my input he had to re solder the wires back on to the input, the first time he did it, we got no sound what so ever.
Unread 09-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #71
Tired of being attacked

Quote:

-shane
sounds like you'r hot wire is connected to ground. Maybe your jack is wired in reverse?

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisouronlyhope View Post
New strings don't ever hold tune quickly.
this could be part of it, but it's probably largely because of missing counter-tension from the trem not being held in place.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #73
power chord hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
sounds like you'r hot wire is connected to ground. Maybe your jack is wired in reverse?
Could you go into a little more detail? I'm going to open it up after church today and poke around some more. Thanks!
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #74
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Could you go into a little more detail? I'm going to open it up after church today and poke around some more. Thanks!
-shane
Ok, your hum and your hand touching the bridge indicates that your ground wire is the one thats actually the one picking up sound. (If I am understanding you properly.) First thing I wold do is desolder the jack, switch wires and resolder.

A bad pot could also be a likely culprit.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #75
power chord hater

I was trying to take a pic to give you a view of it, but I can't get a clear shot. I'll describe it.

Pups: I've got each pup wired to the 5 way switch and grounded together on the volume pot. The bridge pup wire is on the first slot (of 8) on the 5 way switch. The middle pup wire is on the second slot. The neck pup wire is on the third.

Volume pot: pups are grounded to top. Each pot is connected and there is a wire off of the volume pot to the bridge. 3 slots on the pot: 1 - 5th slot on 5 way switch. 2, 3 - output jack. (There were two different wires when I opened up the main jack wire. A white coated wire and just a normal wire. I wired one to each slot. The white one is on the middle slot).

Tone pot (no capacitor): 2 Wires on top connecting it to the other tone pot (one black, one white). 3 Slots on the pot: 1 - empty. 2 - Slot 7 on 5-way switch. 3 - wired to 3rd slot on tone (w/ capacitor) pot.

Tone pot (w/ capacitor): 2 Wires on top connecting it to the other tone pot (one black, one white). 3 slots on the pot: 1 - empty. 2 - 1/2 of capacitor, and black wire routed to slot 8 on 5-way switch. 3 - wired to 3rd slot on tone (w/out capacitor) pot. Capacitor is on same solder joint on top as white wire that connects the two tone pots. Other tip of capacitor is in slot 2.

Slot 4 and 6 on 5 way switch are empty.

I hope that makes sense. Does that sound right? Is something wired up wrong?
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com