Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #1

guitars on planes?

hey, i'm goin up to the states at new years to buy a new guitar. i'll be flying, so i'm going to have to buy a hard case to bring it back with me. any suggestions on a good hardshell case that will survive the journey? i really don't want to buy a new guitar and find it damaged 3 days later with no chance of replacing it any time soon, if at all.

i was lookin at this, and it looked like a good deal. i want to keep it around or below $100. again, i won't be needing it till early january, but if i'm going to order it i'll need a little time for shipping and such.

irtrogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
iGuitar

Send a message via AIM to guitarjockey111 Send a message via MSN to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Skype™ to guitarjockey111
i got an skb case and tehre warranted as long as you own it and the guitar is in the case if it gets damaged tehy will buy you a new guitar.

also rember before you fly to loosen the strings so not to warp your guitar or break the strings in your case.

"A man without a vision is a man without a future. A man without a future will always return to his past.” ~ Cleddie Keith"
guitarjockey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
Wow, never thought of that. I'll keep the string thing in mind.
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Loosening your strings completely could lead to bad results also(I suggest tuning it down to Baritone tuning - B). My suggestion? Most airlines allow musical intruments to be carry-ons. This is your best bet. If not carry-on, they allow instruments to go in special parts of the plane, NOT the regular storage area.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjockey111 View Post
i got an skb case and tehre warranted as long as you own it and the guitar is in the case if it gets damaged tehy will buy you a new guitar.

also rember before you fly to loosen the strings so not to warp your guitar or break the strings in your case.
Hmm, I'm having a hard time imagining how leaving an electric guitar in it's case without loosening the strings could warp the neck.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
What secret tunnel?

If you leave it in the case long enough it will. The tension, especially if the strings are heavy, will eventually bend the neck. It may be slight, but it will still affect (or effect, I forget) the intonation of the guitar.

Other gear: Squier SP-10 amp, Fender Frontman 25 amp, Fender Rumble Series 15 Bass Amp, Casio Keyboard, Yamaha 4 pad electronic drums, Selmer BundyII Alto Saxophone, recorder, Songbird Ocarina

“What is true happiness? Is it a comfortable four-door sedan with tinted windows? Does it mean I have 2.3 children and a beautiful wife and live in a great neighborhood?" -Jon Foreman
Jimbob773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
I'm on a horse.

The key there is long enough. A simple plane ride won't be long enough to warp much.

Unread 11-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Tired of being attacked

its a common belief that the decreased pressure in the baggage compartment will somehow warp the neck if the strings are fully tight. Ican see the decreased temperature breaking a string at full tension as the metal will contract... I have thus always loosened or removed the strings. (removal allows for easier access to dissassembly without damage in some guitars)

However, Post september 11th, carrying a guitar has gotten trickier. Most of the times it is forbidden to take it as a carry on. In one instance, I had to go so far as removing the electronics plate because my shielding was blocking the x-ray. Security was kind enough to let me dissassemble the instrument that time so they could swab it for explosives.

International rules will probably be even more stringent.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
I'm on a horse.

Last time I traveled with a guitar was with my Strat... I actually just took the neck off the body and put it in my luggage.

Unread 11-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Last time I traveled with a guitar was with my Strat... I actually just took the neck off the body and put it in my luggage.
actually, thats pretty smart. I would definitely remove the electronics cover and tremolo cover before flying with a guitar to enable nervous security guards to peer in without having them mess around my guitar with tools.

Then again, my name raises flags as being Iranian, (which I am not) so I tend to get a rather harsh deal with security guards.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #11

I think one of the keys is to check with the particular airline about their policy, cause a lot of airlines do things differently.
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Allow me to share my experiences...
I've flown well over a dozen times with a guitar.
Most times they've allowed me to take it as a carry-on.
Only a few times did they take it from me as I was on the jetway while boarding and each of those times they also unloaded it first so I could receive it as I exited the plane (much as they do with child strollers and wheelchairs).
NEVER have I loosened the strings. Never have I experienced any damage.
I've traveled with my acoustic in a hard case or my electric in a hard case and a few times been allowed to place it in the overhead compartment or the upright closet near first-class.
The most recent time was a month ago when I flew from Philly to CO and took my Godin A6 in it's gig bag.
There and back with no issues and it fit nicely in the overhead with my other carry-on bag.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #13

sweet, i'd love to be able to take it carry on, i hadn't really considerd that they would let me. sounds much better than cargo,i really don't trust those baggage handlers (we've all seen the movies)
but even if i couldn't carry it on i figure i could just pack the case tight with bubble wrap or something of the sort and have them the thing they do with the wheel chairs (if they have that sort of service on a mexican airline :P).
irtrogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #14
iGuitar

Send a message via AIM to guitarjockey111 Send a message via MSN to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Skype™ to guitarjockey111
when i went to slovokia with my guitar i did what i said also you cant lock your case or youll show up with a busted case and maybe guitar cause they will open it.

they actually swabbed my guitar for bomb residue in vienna

"A man without a vision is a man without a future. A man without a future will always return to his past.” ~ Cleddie Keith"
guitarjockey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #15

You should really check with the airline first, because when I went to Florida on United they had very strict carry on rules (it had to fit into their little rectangular frame). You could probably get by with it if one of the flight attendants doesn't see it, but that is kind of risky.

Although this summer on my youth groups missions trip to Ecuador we had 3 acoustic guitars, 1 in a gig bag that was put in the cargo area. It made it there and back fine.

I guess the consensus is that it depends. If you put it in cargo with a cheap case and get a lazy baggage handler (or one in a hurry) then your guitar may come back in a few pieces...
jclardy is offline   Reply With Quote