Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #16

That is an interesting model, I kinda like it in the pics. I really like the mating of the P90 in the neck with the bucker in the bridge, as I find neck humbuckers to be kinda muddy in mahogany axes for my personal taste. I have that arragement (via "P90 conversion" pickups) in 3 LPs, and prefer it. Good price point for a maple cap Gibby LP - under $1k street. I am really curious to see one though, and how those stripes are done - unsanded!? ... sounds bizarre.

I wonder too about the wood - are they chambered to make them lighter than other LP's, or is it because they are using a heavy species of mahog 'cause its cheaper, and have to do the chambering to avoid the absurdly heavy (like 12, 13, 14 lbs) axes like some that were produced in the Norlin ownership era. I could be wrong, but It also seems to me that Gibby used to spec Honduras Mahogany as the species used in LP's and other guitars, but now they only list Mahogany... I looked at some of the other guitars, no mention of Honduras either... Hmmm. I don't think I would like the blank fretboard, but with the unsanded rough look of that axe, some duct tape fret markers probably wouldn't too out of place...or maybe some "x"'s scratched into the rosewood in the appropriate places.

Unread 11-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #17
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I personally like happy face stickers.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
That is an interesting model, I kinda like it in the pics. I really like the mating of the P90 in the neck with the bucker in the bridge, as I find neck humbuckers to be kinda muddy in mahogany axes for my personal taste. I have that arragement (via "P90 conversion" pickups) in 3 LPs, and prefer it. Good price point for a maple cap Gibby LP - under $1k street. I am really curious to see one though, and how those stripes are done - unsanded!? ... sounds bizarre.

I wonder too about the wood - are they chambered to make them lighter than other LP's, or is it because they are using a heavy species of mahog 'cause its cheaper, and have to do the chambering to avoid the absurdly heavy (like 12, 13, 14 lbs) axes like some that were produced in the Norlin ownership era. I could be wrong, but It also seems to me that Gibby used to spec Honduras Mahogany as the species used in LP's and other guitars, but now they only list Mahogany... I looked at some of the other guitars, no mention of Honduras either... Hmmm. I don't think I would like the blank fretboard, but with the unsanded rough look of that axe, some duct tape fret markers probably wouldn't too out of place...or maybe some "x"'s scratched into the rosewood in the appropriate places.

Same here. Ive tried the neck humbucker through lots of amps, I cant find tones that cancel out the muddiness. Ive never used a P90 equiped guitar before though, so I dont know how big a difference thats going to make.

Thats probably the only addition this guitar should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote