Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter View Post
I havnt played any seagull guitars, so I dont know how much wider their necks are, but repositioning the barre finger should help.
1 3/4 inches at the nut

presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #17
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
I don't intend on giving up on them totally. I may do the partial forms for now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something foundational that would hold me back later on.

Yup, Guitar Playing is like a lake that's shallow enough for a baby to swim in and deep enough for an elephant to drown. I don't think even Segovia considered himself as having mastered the guitar. He always continued to practice 5-6 hours a day; he must have thought he still needed improvement.

I think it is mostly a problem with getting my fingers to spread out far enough for the D and G forms. Maybe if I keep working at it, my tendons will stretch.

The Seagull fingerboards are also wider than most steel string acoustics. That makes it more difficult to hold down all the strings with the barring finger. I may need to reposition the index finger and/or work on getting more hand strength.
The older Seagulls all had wide necks (relatively speaking) but for a couple years now they've offered options on neck widths.
This also includes the La Patrie nylon string line of guitars as well.

I have long and thin fingers so the Seagull neck on my S6 is a dream come true for me and prevents the usual stumbling that I experience on "lesser" guitars.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
The older Seagulls all had wide necks (relatively speaking) but for a couple years now they've offered options on neck widths.
This also includes the La Patrie nylon string line of guitars as well.

I have long and thin fingers so the Seagull neck on my S6 is a dream come true for me and prevents the usual stumbling that I experience on "lesser" guitars.
My fingers aren't longer than average, but the wider neck does make it easier to fret individual notes even if it does make it harder to barre. My Squier, with its 1 9/16 inch nut was always easy to barre but more difficult to fret single notes. There's always a trade off I guess. When I get another electric I'll probably go for something with a 1 11/16 inch nut (like an MIA strat or a Godin).
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote