Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 3 5.26%
7 3 5.26%
8 12 21.05%
9 11 19.30%
10 28 49.12%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
Relient K?

EDIT: It really can't be pinned on one band though.
Well, since the point of all of this is that I don't think the song sounds like pop-punk or punk (besides two elements), I want you to provide a SPECIFIC example. I own 3 Relient K CDs (well...4 with the Christmas album) and I don't hear the similarities.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #62
The Fallen

Send a message via AIM to Sith of blades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
Relient K?

EDIT: It really can't be pinned on one band though.
I think a better example would be FM Static. Specifically? Hmm...I dunno...Three Days Later, Definitely Maybe, October, those are some songs.
Unread 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #63
Howlin' Mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith of blades View Post
I think a better example would be FM Static. Specifically? Hmm...I dunno...Three Days Later, Definitely Maybe, October, those are some songs.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. "Those nights" does have a FM static feel too it (not just the intro riff and "oh" part). But thats just my opinion.
Unread 12-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #64
Ninja Nemo

Send a message via AIM to P86andDHrock Send a message via Yahoo to P86andDHrock
I was expecting a harder album, however, the way they fill the music with hard guitar riffs and more programming than Collide was perfect. Rebirthing is a great song that shows off the programming and back up vocals. Also other good songs include Comatose, Better Than Drugs, and the final song with spoken word in it, Looking for Angels. This music is very well done and will appeal to a wide assortment of music buffs. This one gets a 9 from me.

"The gift of knowing you is pure joy. Some things change but this will stay the same. The gift of knowing you is pure joy." - The Beauty of Grace by Life In Your Way
P86andDHrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith of blades View Post
I checked out all three of those songs on iTunes. I'm just not hearing it. I'm also having a real hard time understanding how one could hear "Those Nights" and think the song writing sounds more like those three songs than like the other songs on the Skillet CD.

What specifically in "Those Nights" sounds like elements of which specific parts of those songs.

Last edited by Sean; 12-11-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Unread 12-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #66
A simple guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I checked out all three of those songs on iTunes. I'm just not hearing it. I'm also having a real hard time understanding how one could hear "Those Nights" and think the song writing sounds more like those three songs than like the other songs on the Skillet CD.

What specifically in "Those Nights" sounds like elements of which specific parts of those songs.
FM Static definitely i hear; In style.You have to listen to their choruses, like check out their purevolume or myspace.
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #67
Keep cool my babies

Send a message via AIM to conceived in fire
I gave it a 9. Less generic and filler than Collide, and probably the most diverse sounding album they've made (although I only have the last three). Also the first guitar solos and Korey singing again. But I would have preferred more heavy songs, and the chorus of "Better Than Drugs" is somewhat of a cliche.

I definitely heard the pop-punk in "Those Nights", the opening riff, "oh oh"s and piano in the verse all sound like modern Relient K.

conceived in fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #68
Proud to be irish

I gave it a 10. Very good array of different things. The orchestral sounds from Rebirthing and Comatose, the pop rock of Those Nights, the ballads (Older I Get, Yours to Hold, Say Goodbye) are good, but I don't like Say Goodbye that much so if I could take back my vote, I'd probably give it a 9. Whispers, The Last Night, and Falling Inside the Black are also good. I do agree that the Better than Drugs chorus is a cliche, but it's a good song overall.
Oh!Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #69
ApologetiX Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceived in fire View Post
I gave it a 9. Less generic and filler than Collide, and probably the most diverse sounding album they've made (although I only have the last three). Also the first guitar solos and Korey singing again. But I would have preferred more heavy songs, and the chorus of "Better Than Drugs" is somewhat of a cliche.
I definitely heard the pop-punk in "Those Nights", the opening riff, "oh oh"s and piano in the verse all sound like modern Relient K.
10 all the way. I agree that the chorus of Better than Drugs is a major cliche, but it's a well-used cliche. Especially if you gave that song to someone who had actually been using drugs and were considering becoming a Christian, it'd be a great way to reach out to them.

I gave this album a 10 becuase nearly every song on that CD touched a part of my life. Especially Those Nights and Say Goodbye. If you combine those two you've got my relationship with my best friend.
Unread 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #70

There are other songs which tell God He's better than drugs?

Unread 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #71
A simple guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
There are other songs which tell God He's better than drugs?
I think he meant cliche as in it's used alot in modern youth ministry.
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #72
Baritone ax'er

i liked Rebirthing( actually played it at my recital )Falling Inside the Black, and Whispers in the Dark( i can play all of these except for the insane solo in Whispers..), and i like Comatose( the song), but not as much as the others. i agree with what basically everyone else has said, its not as gritty or intense as Collide, and Collide and more "Hit" singles IMHO.

All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Bullet For My Valentine,Europe (The Final Countdown ), DecembeRadio, Decyfer Down, Demon Hunter, Disciple, Flyleaf, Inhale Exhale, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Pillar, Red, Skillet.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack electric; Fender StarCaster electric, JBP acoustic
Amps: Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt, Fender SP10
Accesories: Line 6 FBV Express pedal

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music

My Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack

Rock 'n Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #73
BOOM HEADSHOT!!

My favorite Skillet CD (the oldest I go back is Alien Youth). Top songs are "Whispers In The Dark," "Rebirthing," "Comatose."

-Revelation 20:10 (NLT)

http://www.myspace.com/zatchroxforgsus
schecter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #74
Fool of a Took

I love this album. Every song is pretty good. I gave it a 10. The song "The last night" is really good....along with alot of others. After i saw them live i bought their cd.

Unread 09-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #75
Life is so short...

I think Comatose is the best christian rock album ever.....
livingalive626 is offline   Reply With Quote