Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 3 5.26%
7 3 5.26%
8 12 21.05%
9 11 19.30%
10 28 49.12%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
The beat of the song is one. It's to upbeat cheery for a Skillet song. Now tell me how it is like any other song on Comatose.
It might be the MOST upbeat song on the CD, but it hardly an upbeat song and it certainly isn't cheery. Its very anthemic (like the rest of the CD). Lyrically it talks about how the only thing to get him through the hard times was remember "those nights." Typically hard times aren't considered cheery.

The song actualy soundsfairly similiar to "The Older I Get." Both start off with a guitar riff (obviously very different riffs), then all the instruments cut out except one (clean guitar in one and piano in the other). The melodies sound very similiar. Seriously, skip back and fourth between both songs starting at about 12 seconds into each song. They sound very similiar. After this more instruments kick in as well as a vocal harmony line. The chorus melodies sound similiar as well.

I don't think there is anything particularly pop-punk about the melodies. As I mentioned before, I think many of the melodies are very much in line with those of "The Older I Get." The pianos are hardly a distinctive of pop-punk, and they're found throughout the entire CD. Some of the lyrics do touch on some pop-punk themes, but they take them in a very different direction. Pop-punk typically takes in a sappy direction where Skillet takes it in a darker direction (discussing "hard times). The only pop punk distinctives I can see are the intro-riff and the "Oooo" part.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Just tell me what it is like?
I think it sounds like the rest of the CD. It's anthemic hard-rock with infectious and catchy choruses. It seems like many of the songs have very similiar melodies and structures [SPECULATION] therefore it seems like they tried to add something distinctive to each song by having different introductions[/SPECULATION]. Notice that on 5 or 6 of the songs when the verses begins its just the singer and like one instrument...then half way through the verse more instruments kick in. However, they all have different introductions. One starts off with a massive string section the next starts off with pianos into a heavy riff...then it's a vocal kick off...then distorted guitars...then synth strings/pad....then a clean lead guitar....then a pop-punk-esque riff...another clean guitar riff...pianos with vocals...distant piano into effects heavy vocals...drums into a full out chorus.

I don't think the song itself is very pop-punk at all. I think they decided to use some pop-punk tricks to help distinguish the song from the others, but overall, the song is very similiar to the rest of the CD.

Unread 12-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_guitarnut View Post
Their style on comatose is arena rock with industrial undertones.
I didn't notice anything distinctly industrial on this CD.

Quote:
"Those nights" partway fits that, but the lyrics talk about how great it was when they were young, definitly punk territory.
Thats reasonable. However, I think they take it in a very different direction. The pop-punk cliche is to sing about past nights stayinging up late in a sappy, pinning love song sort of way. This song is more about how the memories have helped him through hard times. It seems to go in a different direction than the cliche.

Unread 12-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaukal View Post

Let's all stop arguing about this song. For those of you who think this is "punk" go right ahead. Let's just drop it.
If you don't like discussion, why are you on a message board? I'm on this website because I enjoy discussing things like this. To simply end a discussion simply because people disagree would eliminate my entire purpose for being here.

Unread 12-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I think it sounds like the rest of the CD. It's anthemic hard-rock with infectious and catchy choruses. It seems like many of the songs have very similiar melodies and structures [SPECULATION] therefore it seems like they tried to add something distinctive to each song by having different introductions[/SPECULATION]. Notice that on 5 or 6 of the songs when the verses begins its just the singer and like one instrument...then half way through the verse more instruments kick in. However, they all have different introductions. One starts off with a massive string section the next starts off with pianos into a heavy riff...then it's a vocal kick off...then distorted guitars...then synth strings/pad....then a clean lead guitar....then a pop-punk-esque riff...another clean guitar riff...pianos with vocals...distant piano into effects heavy vocals...drums into a full out chorus.

I don't think the song itself is very pop-punk at all. I think they decided to use some pop-punk tricks to help distinguish the song from the others, but overall, the song is very similiar to the rest of the CD.

Really I don't see why having the same melody would make it the same song, you can hide melodys easily. And they do it many ways. But listen to the chorus, compare it to another punk song and it sounds the same. The verses don't sound so much like it. But thats what happens when Skillet does a punk song, they bring their own special elements to it. Pianos are more of a themreon this album. Of course their going to use them on every song, but its still punk. no matter how many tricks they use, they can't hide the fact that its still a bouncy upbeat tune about their younger days.
tl_guitarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #51

Quote:
It might be the MOST upbeat song on the CD, but it hardly an upbeat song and it certainly isn't cheery. Its very anthemic (like the rest of the CD). Lyrically it talks about how the only thing to get him through the hard times was remember "those nights." Typically hard times aren't considered cheery.
It is when they say how they "Stayed up late and we talked all night in a dark room lit by the tv light." I'm sorry, but those just sound very Punk.

Quote:
The song actualy soundsfairly similiar to "The Older I Get." Both start off with a guitar riff (obviously very different riffs), then all the instruments cut out except one (clean guitar in one and piano in the other). The melodies sound very similiar. Seriously, skip back and fourth between both songs starting at about 12 seconds into each song. They sound very similiar. After this more instruments kick in as well as a vocal harmony line. The chorus melodies sound similiar as well.
Personally I dont find much similar, besides the fact that in both songs, the instruments cut out right before the chorus. Other than that they sound nothing alike.
Unread 12-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #52

Quote:
no matter how many tricks they use, they can't hide the fact that its still a bouncy upbeat tune about their younger days.

Are you listening to the same song as me? How on earth is this song bouncy or up-beat? The verses obviously aren't bouncy and the chorus is anthemic not bouncy. It makes you want to pump your fist in the hair not bounce up and down. I honesty haven't got a clue how this song could be considered bouncy.

What are these tricks you're referencing that are trying to hide the sound?

Last edited by Sean; 12-10-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Unread 12-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #53

Quote:
It is when they say how they "Stayed up late and we talked all night in a dark room lit by the tv light." I'm sorry, but those just sound very Punk.
CONTEXT...CONTEXT...CONTEXT....what does he say right after that? He starts talking about the hard times. It isn't a sappy love struck song pinning over "those days." Instead its a song about how "those days" have gotten him through the hard times. Hardly punk lyrics and very much in line with the themes of the rest of the CD.

Quote:
Personally I dont find much similar, besides the fact that in both songs, the instruments cut out right before the chorus. Other than that they sound nothing alike.
I'm 95% baffled as to how anyone can listen to the verses of these songs and NOT think they sound extremey similiar. He's using a similiar pattern to the vocals...the notes even sound the same.

Unread 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Really I don't see why having the same melody would make it the same song
I never said it was the same song. I said there are a lot of similiar melodies, song structures and arrangementns.

Quote:
you can hide melodys easily. And they do it many ways.
I haven't got a clue what that means.

Quote:
But listen to the chorus, compare it to another punk song and it sounds the same.
Name one punk who's chorus sounds like this song? According to my iTunes playlist, I have just short of 2,000 songs in punk directories. I would consider myself to be rather familiar with punk and pop-punk...and I honestly can't think of any choruses that sound anything like the chorus to this song.

Quote:
The verses don't sound so much like it. But thats what happens when Skillet does a punk song, they bring their own special elements to it. Pianos are more of a themreon this album. Of course their going to use them on every song, but its still punk.
I'm still completely unconvinced that this is a punk song. I'm aware of no punk songs with a chorus like this one, and I'm baffled by your assertion that this song is bouncy.

Unread 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #55

Quote:
I'm still completely unconvinced that this is a punk song. I'm aware of no punk songs with a chorus like this one, and I'm baffled by your assertion that this song is bouncy.
Tell me, have you ever heard a Skillet song this bouncy before? I think what I'm getting at is, its punky for a Skillet song. I don't know if it sounds like anything else, it probably does, but I've never heard it. But compare to other Skillet songs and what have you got, a song that leans onto the punk spectrum. Its got tinges of other stuff, but overwhelmingly it is punk, just with other styles thrown in. I think they pull it off alright, buts its Skillet its not skillet's sound.
Unread 12-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Tell me, have you ever heard a Skillet song this bouncy before?
Since I don't consider the song bouncy at all, sure...all of Skillet's song's are equally this not bouncy. I don't find there to be ANYTHING bouncy about it.

Quote:
I think what I'm getting at is, its punky for a Skillet song.
I'll grant its punky for a Skillet song...because of the intro riff and the "Oooo" part. I don't find the melodies, beat or guitar parts distinctly punk at all. It's an anthemic rocker like the rest of this CD.

Quote:
I don't know if it sounds like anything else, it probably does, but I've never heard it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But listen to the chorus, compare it to another punk song and it sounds the same.
You said it sounds like a punk chorus. If you've never heard a song that sounds like it, then why did you say it sounds like a punk chorus?

Quote:
But compare to other Skillet songs and what have you got, a song that leans onto the punk spectrum. Its got tinges of other stuff, but overwhelmingly it is punk, just with other styles thrown in. I think they pull it off alright, buts its Skillet its not skillet's sound.
I would argue the opposite. It's very much a Skillet song typical of this album accept it has punk tinges (i.e. intro part and "Oooo"). I don't see the song itsef as punk at all. It's an anthemic rocker with a pop-punk intro riff and a pop-punk-esque "Oooo" part.

Unread 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #57
A simple guy

Quote:
Since I don't consider the song bouncy at all, sure...all of Skillet's song's are equally this not bouncy. I don't find there to be ANYTHING bouncy about it.

I'll grant its punky for a Skillet song...because of the intro riff and the "Oooo" part. I don't find the melodies, beat or guitar parts distinctly punk at all. It's an anthemic rocker like the rest of this CD.

You said it sounds like a punk chorus. If you've never heard a song that sounds like it, then why did you say it sounds like a punk chorus?

I would argue the opposite. It's very much a Skillet song typical of this album accept it has punk tinges (i.e. intro part and "Oooo"). I don't see the song itsef as punk at all. It's an anthemic rocker with a pop-punk intro riff and a pop-punk-esque "Oooo" part.
Think more modern pop-punk
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Think more modern pop-punk
Example?

Unread 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #59
A simple guy

Quote:
Example?
Relient K?

EDIT: It really can't be pinned on one band though.
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #60

Quote:
Relient K?

EDIT: It really can't be pinned on one band though.
Not at all. The only thing that is similar about this song to punk pop is the intro riff. This may be just me, but I really dont' hear a lot of punk pop bands with a gritty lead vocalist.