Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 3 5.26%
7 3 5.26%
8 12 21.05%
9 11 19.30%
10 28 49.12%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
"The near pop-punk sentiment of "Those Nights" marks the biggest change in the band's sound" from : http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/CdReviews/Comatose.asp

"Skillet also tries some new things, such as Those Nights. I was reminded of modern Relient K when I first heard the song, with its pop-punk sounding guitars, piano-driven verse and shouts of Oh oh! Oh oh! "

from :http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=12518

"The only weak point on the record, in my opinion, is the scarily pop-punk track "Those Nights," a song youd expect to find on an album of the likes of Hawk Nelson or MEST. This track just seems to drag the album down, losing a touch of musical sophistication that Ive always prided Skillet in having. The only other complaint is that at times, lyrics can seem a bit overdramatic, for want of a better word."

from: http://ccmbuzz.com/articles/630/1/Sk...006/Page1.html
This doesn't change my opinion at all. When they say "piano driven verses" they're refering to the Relient K comparison. I don't hear a lot of pop-punk where the piano is a key instrument except in Relient K and that's even cutting things close. The fact is, this track is not punk. I really don't care what reviews have to say. They have their opinion, I have mine. I don't care if I'm wrong. This "punk" track doesn't sound like the punk I listen to.

Unread 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
I know what punk is.
Can you point me to a Ramones song that sounds ANYTHING like "Those Nights?" Sex Pistols? Black Flag? The Germs? Minor Threat? ...I'll even play nice...Green Day? Blink 182? New Found Glory?

Quote:
The song is punk, so says Skillet and also read the Reviews.
Take away the intro guitar riff and you'd still consider the song punk? I'll grant the intro riff sounds like a great deal of pop-punk. However, the rest of the song sounds like the rest of the CD.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #33

Quote:
"The near pop-punk sentiment of "Those Nights" marks the biggest change in the band's sound" from : http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/CdReviews/Comatose.asp

"Skillet also tries some new things, such as Those Nights. I was reminded of modern Relient K when I first heard the song, with its pop-punk sounding guitars, piano-driven verse and shouts of “Oh oh! Oh oh!” "

from :http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=12518

"The only weak point on the record, in my opinion, is the scarily pop-punk track "Those Nights," a song you’d expect to find on an album of the likes of Hawk Nelson or MEST. This track just seems to drag the album down, losing a touch of musical sophistication that I’ve always prided Skillet in having. The only other complaint is that at times, lyrics can seem a bit overdramatic, for want of a better word."

from: http://ccmbuzz.com/articles/630/1/Sk...006/Page1.html
I don't know what sputnikmusic is but I would hardly consider CCMBuzz or JesusFreakHideout to be experts on music. They write to a nitch market. Now as for Sputnickmusic, it is certainly true that Relient K is pop-punk and that Relient K occasionally uses pianos during the verses of their songs. However, uses pianos during the verses of a song is hardly punk by any definition. Relient K using pianos in the verses is an example of them transcending their genre. Therefore, Skillet using pianos during the verses really does little to prove the point that the song is punk.

Unread 12-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #34
A simple guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I don't know what sputnikmusic is but I would hardly consider CCMBuzz or JesusFreakHideout to be experts on music. They write to a nitch market. Now as for Sputnickmusic, it is certainly true that Relient K is pop-punk and that Relient K occasionally uses pianos during the verses of their songs. However, uses pianos during the verses of a song is hardly punk by any definition. Relient K using pianos in the verses is an example of them transcending their genre. Therefore, Skillet using pianos during the verses really does little to prove the point that the song is punk.
My point is that Skillet tried something too different than their style. It sounds aot like more modern "punk" than any other genre to me.
The style is completely like Hawk Nelson/Relient K.
Adam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #35

Quote:
My point is that Skillet tried something too different than their style. It sounds aot like more modern "punk" than any other genre to me.
The style is completely like Hawk Nelson/Relient K.
Once again, besides the intro-riff and possibly the "Oooooo" part, how is the song different from any other song on the CD?

Unread 12-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #36
A simple guy

Quote:
Once again, besides the intro-riff and possibly the "Oooooo" part, how is the song different from any other song on the CD?
They don't do that style in any other song they've ever made as a band.Not even in Comatose.
Unread 12-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #37

Its not as rocky as the rest. It's just too different from their style.
tl_guitarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #38

Quote:
They don't do that style in any other song they've ever made as a band.Not even in Comatose.
Since I reject the premise that the song is punk or even a different style than the rest of the CD (besides the two previous mentioned parts), retelling me that it's a different style isn't simply restating your position. It isn't an argument. I want you to explain to me how the song is different from the rest of the CD besides the two previously mentioned parts.

Unread 12-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #39
A simple guy

Quote:
Since I reject the premise that the song is punk or even a different style than the rest of the CD (besides the two previous mentioned parts), retelling me that it's a different style isn't simply restating your position. It isn't an argument. I want you to explain to me how the song is different from the rest of the CD besides the two previously mentioned parts.
The beat of the song is one. It's to upbeat cheery for a Skillet song. Now tell me how it is like any other song on Comatose.
Unread 12-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_guitarnut View Post
Its not as rocky as the rest. It's just too different from their style.
Which style is that? The early 90s alt-rock, grunge of their self-titled CD or the industrial rock of Hey You I Love Your Soul or the electronic synth-pop rock of Invincible or the hard rock with industrial intinges of Alien Youth or the hard rock of Collide or the hard rock with catchy pop-influenced choruses of Comatose?

Unread 12-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #41
A simple guy

Quote:
Which style is that? The early 90s alt-rock, grunge of their self-titled CD or the industrial rock of Hey You I Love Your Soul or the electronic synth-pop rock of Invincible or the hard rock with industrial intinges of Alien Youth or the hard rock of Collide or the hard rock with catchy pop-influenced choruses of Comatose?
Just tell me what it is like?
Unread 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #42
I need a bigger car!

The only song I've heard of this CD is "Rebirthing", but it's a decent song.

Last edited by DKelly; 01-05-2010 at 06:45 PM.
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #43
A simple guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKelly View Post
The only song T've heard of this CD is "Rebirthing", but it's a decent song.
Yep, one of my favorites.
Unread 12-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Their style on comatose is arena rock with industrial undertones. "Those nights" partway fits that, but the lyrics talk about how great it was when they were young, definitly punk territory.
tl_guitarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_guitarnut View Post
Their style on comatose is arena rock with industrial undertones. "Those nights" partway fits that, but the lyrics talk about how great it was when they were young, definitly punk territory.

Let's all stop arguing about this song. For those of you who think this is "punk" go right ahead. Let's just drop it.