Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-12-2001, 10:16 PM   #1

leading worship

Howdy,
I have a question for whoever wants to answer it. I play guitar, and would love to lead some worship type stuff, but I don't know if I can sing. When I ask people they always tell me I sing fine, but I don't really trust their opinion. I've taped myself singing, and I don't like it, but I'm wondering if I just don't like the sound of my voice. I sing in key, and know when I'm out of key, and fix it, but I just don't know. Another thing, is I don't like singing the low stuff very well, and prefer capoing my guitar on the first or second so I can hit all the notes. I guess what my question is is this, should I just go ahead and lead, does it matter if i'm not the best singer? I don't think I'm terrible, I just don't think I have a great voice. Or, should I lead with guitar and find someone else to lead the singing? That seems so limiting to me though. Any input would be great.

Mark 13:36 If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping
Corty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-13-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
Fabulous!

paid
Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan Send a message via Skype™ to Bryan
well, I would say that if you want to lead worship do it. Other people's opinion is not important. Just keep your heart on God and he will take care of the rest.
Unread 12-13-2001, 02:19 PM   #3
Nosed Reindeer

if your only problem is you don't like the sound of your voice, then don't worry about it

While I think that the worship leader should be able to sing reasonably in tune, it doesn't really even matter if your heart is in the right place

just sing!
Unread 12-13-2001, 02:24 PM   #4
JT

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudolph the Red
if your only problem is you don't like the sound of your voice, then don't worry about it

While I think that the worship leader should be able to sing reasonably in tune, it doesn't really even matter if your heart is in the right place

just sing!
I'd say if you can't sing in tune, maybe you should find a non-singing way to lead worship.

I'd also point out that almost everyone hates the way their voice sounds on tape. Keep in mind that
1) your normal consumer level tape deck isn't going to reproduce your voice as well as a top notch recorder.
2) sound waves travel through your jaw to your ear, so you actually hear something different than everyone else does. part of the reason i don't like the way my voice sound on tape is b/c I'm so completely not used to it.