Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar

Referring to this guitar, how does it compare to other Gibsons? It seems like a reasonable price for a Gibson... I, however, don't trust name brands a whole lot, so, does it live up to the Gibson name? Is it a quality instrument?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I can say with reasonable certainty that the sound will be less snappy than most LPs, and will be almost SG like.

But if it's made in the same factory as the Studios, I suppose it should be decent, though I've heard some stories of Gibson quality control suffering in recent years.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I can say with reasonable certainty that the sound will be less snappy than most LPs, and will be almost SG like.
perhaps, though I've always expected it to sound alot darker than either...since it retains the carved top of standard LP design but is all mahogany.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Well, I'd expect it to be thinner than a standard LP. But I've never run into one in my life, so that's just speculation. Someone may have to do some research to see how thick it is...

Unread 08-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
That guitar is the same as a les paul studio without the finish. Screw buying a real studio. Just go with that.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
We Will Play FOREVER

thomaspg70
Quote:
That guitar is the same as a les paul studio without the finish
Actually it is not really the same. The regular Studio has a maple cap like the Standards and Customs while this guitar is all mahogany [as mentioned above]. Different pups as well. The finish is very light as stated compared to a regular Studio.
Quote:
[Forget] buying a real studio. Just go with that.
He has a point here. This guitar is one of the better deals Gibson has going. I have seen them used for under $600. They normally go for $899 at MF and at times they have had them on sale for as cheap as $699 new with case. It has a carved top like the regular Lps and it also has the Burstbucker Alnico 5 pups which only come out in the Standards normally. The guitar is not a thin body and I believe it is just as thick as any Studio. It has a little warmer/darker tone like some of the 50's Customs due to the all mahogany construction. That alone makes it unique. The normal Studio is at least a few hundred more depending on the model. This guitar has gotten superb reviews just about everywhere I have seen.

Last edited by rotj4; 08-05-2006 at 11:01 PM.
rotj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Well, whatever floats your boat.

It's my personal opinion that a maple cap is an integral part of the Les Paul equasion. Gotta have it for the punchy hi end that makes an LP sound like an LP, 'least to me.

I think this must be the Les Paul Faded idea come back to haunt us. In which case I might have actually played one, but not extensively enough to give a good review.

Unread 08-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
Your car crash eyes...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "maple cap?"

Anyways, I've played one before. It's a good guitar, especially for the price. Whereas the other Gibsons I've played have been "wow, this is a good guitar, but I'd never pay that much for one."
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
I'm on a horse.

A maple cap is a good 1/4"-1/2" thick piece of maple on the top of a guitar. This gives the guitar a brighter tone and if the maple is figured (flames/quilt) then it's a nice visual effect as well. Sometimes guitars will have very thin maple veneers (under 1/8") which are foor looks, not tone.

Unread 08-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Hm, I didn't know about that maple cap thing, cool to find out. Bright tones are my cup o' tea, but I'd like to play a Les Paul at some point, just to mix and match .

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
is rollin'

Send a message via AIM to Captain Dan
Ahhh-I've played pretty much the whole line that Gibson offers (No I don't claim to own them all or anything but there is a local shop here which specializes in Gibson) anyway it IS studio the only difference is the difference between is the carved maple on top of the Studio and the Mahogany on top of the well Mahogany-Yeah-it's a decent guitar but it's all about personal sound-you may love the maho over the maple-you may not-
Slightly off the subject but anyone see those Smartwood guitars Gibson makes?? The owner recently got a couple and I tried them and I must say that is some cool stuff-each guitar has it's own little "thing" and each one sounds just a tad off what a standard sounds like-
-Fender Twin
-Crate 50watt solid state
-Crate Practice Amp
Alvarez Acoustic
Seagull Artist Acoustic Electric
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote