Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Godin/Seagull Man

I bought my new acoustic

I bought this Seagull Artist Series Mosiac off of Ebay. I tried to follow your advice, GuitarDave, but I couldn't find anything but cheap used guitars in my area. I was teetering between the Mosiac on Ebay for $435 w/hard case and an S-6 w/o case in the store for $399. The one in the store would probably lose $150 in value just walking out the door. If I decide I don't want the one from Ebay I can probably sell it again for the same price. I was pretty ready to buy the one in the store being that it sounded good, had good intonation and was a known quantity. I just ended up getting pissed off at the store manager who asked me to not use a pick on his guitars anymore because he was worried about them getting scratched. I was very polite and Christian-like to him but I don't know if I ever will go back to that store. The guitars I played had pickguards and usually they have a plastic covering over them. He said he was concerned I might scratch the guitar near the soundhole. I strum pretty hard sometimes and my right hand technique could probably use some refining but I have had my current guitar for almost 4 years and have never scratched it anywhere but the pickguard. I can't really audition a guitar without using a pick to strum. I may be taking a little bit of chance on buying off of Ebay but it is hard to pass up getting a guitar for about half of the store price. I will let you know how it turns out.

presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Congrats!
I hope the Artist is everything that you wanted and more.

If I get another Seagull, it will be an Artist series to compliment my S6.

Regarding the store manager, he may have had past experiences with scratched tops especially on cedar top guitars since the wood is soft and the rubbed laquer on the lower-end Seagulls is thin. Makes for a beautiful tone but a delicate surface.
So he's probably looking out for his merchandise more than normal.

I lent out my S6 to a friend for a recording session and it came back scratched.
Oh well...since then I've put a fair amount of dents and scrapes on it. It gives it "character".

Give a report when it arrives.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Godin/Seagull Man

Thank you. I really like the cedar tops. It seems like I can play more expressively. It responds real well to fingerpicking too. I found the sound to be a little mellow but not dark and muddy. I didn't like the Seagulls with the spruce tops so much. They sounded a bit too bright; although I have heard that spruce mellows out with age. The spruce top on my Alvarez may have mellowed some but I have heard that the thick polyurethane finishes on the cheaper guitars don't really let the wood open up as much. I have read a lot of reviews that complain about the cedar tops on the Seagulls getting a lot of dings in them but I don't care. I love how it sounds and I don't think it would sound the same with a thicker, harder finish. I don't mind my guitar having a little character; guitars are meant to be played.
Unread 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Congrats man. Nice guitar to.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Awesome.
Unread 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat View Post
Thank you. I really like the cedar tops. It seems like I can play more expressively. It responds real well to fingerpicking too. I found the sound to be a little mellow but not dark and muddy. I didn't like the Seagulls with the spruce tops so much. They sounded a bit too bright; although I have heard that spruce mellows out with age. The spruce top on my Alvarez may have mellowed some but I have heard that the thick polyurethane finishes on the cheaper guitars don't really let the wood open up as much. I have read a lot of reviews that complain about the cedar tops on the Seagulls getting a lot of dings in them but I don't care. I love how it sounds and I don't think it would sound the same with a thicker, harder finish. I don't mind my guitar having a little character; guitars are meant to be played.
I used to be so concerned with my acoustic being kept pristine and then I saw some of the guitars that Tommy Emmanuel plays.
That was the end of that way of thinking for me.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
...what you looking at?

Send a message via AIM to zapp196
my guitar's sound whole is pretty torn up from the way i play(ed). i think it gives the feeling of ownership. Also it is a pretty good anti-theif tool . (then again people have stole worst) But minor ding don't affect the sound. Peace
zapp196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
gg7

Unread 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
Almost looks like it has a big hole in the top. Must be where the tax man took a bite.
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
...what you looking at?

NICE!!!
zapp196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
Godin/Seagull Man

My new Seagull Mosiac arrived yesterday! It is supposed to be a factory second, but all I can see is maybe some very small, minor imperfections in the finish. You really have to look close at the right angle of light to see anything at all. It was definitely worth the $350 savings. My Alvarez had more noticeable flaws when I bought it new and it was supposed to be a factory first. That tells me that Seagull has some pretty good QC. One of the main concerns I had about buying a guitar unseen and unplayed was the intonation. The intonation is pretty much right on. It is pretty darn close to the intonation on my alvarez which is modded with an Earvana nut. I don't think I will do the Earvana on this guitar because the intonation is close enough and I don't want to mess with the sound of this thing. The most noticeable thing about this guitar is that it is LOUD! My kids noticed that right away. My 7 year old said, "Daddy, that guitar sounds like it has an amp in it!" I just tried it out this morning leading some songs at Vacation Bible School. It has plenty of sound to fill a small sanctuary without any amplification. No more need to lug around an amp just to get a little extra volume. It does not have any electronics and I am debating whether I will really need any at this time. I can also use some more refined right hand technique since I don't have to strum so hard. It responds real well to fingerpicking too. The finish on this guitar is definitely thin and I will have to take good care of it but I think it is what makes this guitar so loud and responsive. The cedar smells good too. I might prefer a glossier finish on the neck so I could go up and down the neck a little faster but hopefully I will adjust. I think it will take me six months to adjust to this new guitar and learn how best to play it.

I am not so sure about the Fort tric case that this thing came with. It is made of some kind of plastic foam (EPP). Its kind of like styrofoam but a bit stronger. I think it's the kind of stuff they use in bicycle helmets. It then has an outer cloth case which zips around it with backpack straps. It definitely cradles the guitar well and insulates it from temperature changes. I couldn't think of a better case to ship an acoustic in. That's a good thing, because the guy didn't put a whole lot of packing into the shipping box and the guitar/case was moving around inside. He didn't put an arrow on the box indicating which way to stand the box either. I'm not sure how well this case will stand up over time. It is less convenient getting the guitar in and out because I have to unzip the thing. The handle is made out of that EPP stuff and looks like it might break off after a while. I am thinking about using the hard shell case from my Alvarez and using the EPP case to ship the ALvarez when I sell it. Again, I can't think of a better case to ship an acoustic in.
Unread 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
...what you looking at?

dang, that a beautiful guitar!
Unread 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
gg7

That is a hole in Willies guitar, ha. I'm not even sure how that guitar is still together and functioning, ha. Martin made a good one.

It's good to hear you like the guitar so much. Excellent.
Unread 08-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7 View Post
That is a hole in Willies guitar, ha. I'm not even sure how that guitar is still together and functioning, ha. Martin made a good one.
I've heard it said that it was the inspiration for MacPherson's offset hole which went on the opposite side instead...

Not!

Nice guitar and I'm happy you're liking it!

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
I am currently babysitting a Seagull M6. It has been a pretty easy job. I love Seagulls. My favorite part is the wide, nonglossy neck. I can't stand how heavy gloss on the back of a neck feels. How is the action on yours? I know I had to lower it on the M6 quite a bit. The only setup problem on it is a mild fret buzz at one loctaion, but it is nothing terrible. Anyway, I hope it serves you well.