Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #31
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy View Post
Well.. Some people think this tone is awesome. (most people who are into metal a lot would think that) I personally can't stand it.
Ewwwww, nasty tone...

I agree with the earlier post by ApparentlyNothing, though. Bad is bad, no matter how much you like it. If it works for you, it works for you, but quality doesn't change because of personal opinion. Personal opinion only makes it more bearable.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #32
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing View Post
Can I be the first to dispell this myth as well? To a degree, it is subjective. But just like art, there is much more objective things that separate good from bad. A bad photo is a bad photo, no matter how much you say you like it. And bad tone is bad tone no matter how much anyone says it's not. There are many facits of good tone that are subjective, such as one liking darker tone from an Orange, or brighter tone from an AC30, or heavy distortion from a Mesa, or clean tone from a Fender. But bad tone is bad, no question.
This is an untrue generalization and one that assumes that there is some common rule and/or a person who is deemed "judge" for good and bad tone.

What you might hear and claim to be "bad", someone else may hear and say it's "good".
A lot of Neil Young's guitar solo work, as badly as I think it's performed, usually has what I would consider a very bad tone.
Slash has not yet recorded anything that I would consider good tone and I think he's tied for first place with Neil Young for being able to make a Gibson Les Paul sound as bad as it ever could.
Many people disagree with me.

And I right to be the judge of tone?
Are they?
Is anyone?

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #33

Good point,Dave. I've said it a hundred times,I'd rather hear a good player playing bad gear than a bad player playing good gear. None of us can really judge another players tone.I mean we can,but who's to say we're right? The best tone I ever heard was Roy Bucahanon. He used a stock Tele and a Fender tube amp.But to each his own.
Unread 07-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #34
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Well.. Some people think this tone is awesome. (most people who are into metal a lot would think that) I personally can't stand it.
But that tone is definitional to the metal genre. It wasn't recorded in the best way, but as far as I can tell, it's pretty decent metal tone. The subjectivity of whether you like it or not is valid, but the objectivity of it being decent metal tone is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
This is an untrue generalization and one that assumes that there is some common rule and/or a person who is deemed "judge" for good and bad tone.

What you might hear and claim to be "bad", someone else may hear and say it's "good".
A lot of Neil Young's guitar solo work, as badly as I think it's performed, usually has what I would consider a very bad tone.
Slash has not yet recorded anything that I would consider good tone and I think he's tied for first place with Neil Young for being able to make a Gibson Les Paul sound as bad as it ever could.
Many people disagree with me.

And I right to be the judge of tone?
Are they?
Is anyone?
My point was that it's not all gray area. There's plenty of gray area in the middle, but there's also plenty of black and white on the ends.
Unread 07-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #35
Sarcasm? What's that?

in the case of that video, i'll say tone is in the fingers. he's got good gear, but it's not set up as i would do it, nor is his palying anything spectacular.

EDIT: and it was an all-right metal tone, not terrible, yet not great either.
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #36
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visirale View Post
I don't care if you're Yngvie Malmsteem. If you're playing a particle board strat copy with 5 dollar chinese pickups through an amp with blown preamp tubes, you're gonna sound crappy no mater what you do.

Technique makes a lot of it. But there is no way I'm gonna get "my sound" unless I use my Stingray and Mesa head. The cabs aren't quite as important, but still a factor. Characteristic tones, especially good characteristic tones come from certain gear... I think it is a large factor. It is a huge fallacy to say "It's all in the fingers."
Truth.
Unread 07-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #37
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing View Post
Can I be the first to dispell this myth as well? To a degree, it is subjective. But just like art, there is much more objective things that separate good from bad. A bad photo is a bad photo, no matter how much you say you like it. And bad tone is bad tone no matter how much anyone says it's not. There are many facits of good tone that are subjective, such as one liking darker tone from an Orange, or brighter tone from an AC30, or heavy distortion from a Mesa, or clean tone from a Fender. But bad tone is bad, no question.
And we have a winner!

Also, to OP mentioned in his post that a MAJORITY of tone is in the fingers. Or something to that extent. Not all, but a part.
Unread 07-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #38
Dogbert's back!

Quote:
Was that even a song?

That's nothing compared to one of my friend's tones. High treble, too much gain, eek!

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #39
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Who defined "good tone" anyway?

Tones have uses, there are no good or bad tones. There is only using tones in bad taste, which is subjective, but no tone is inherently bad.

For example, if I were to roll off the tone control on my neck pickup, and use it with some heavy distortion to play a heavy riff, no doubt it would sound pretty muddy and horrible, but I could take that sound and use it in a techno song for some pseudo-synth sounds, and it would sound pretty cool. Many "bad tones" have great uses in more experimental and avant-garde styles of playing. Many "good tones" would sound horrible when pulled out of musical context.

However with bad technique, things are going to sound bad no matter what tone you use, so technique is apparently more important than the tone used in overall sound.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #40
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
For example, if I were to roll off the tone control on my neck pickup, and use it with some heavy distortion to play a heavy riff, no doubt it would sound pretty muddy and horrible, but I could take that sound and use it in a techno song for some pseudo-synth sounds, and it would sound pretty cool.

That is true. In this one song I wrote, I use my neck p90 with tone rolled all the way down, through my eq with scooped mids, into my J&H with a little bit of overdrive, into my chorus with everything dimed, and into my amp with high 0, mid 12, and bass 0. If used anywhere else it would sound incredibly bad, but in this case it works perfectly. If I was to use my normal low overdrive tone it would not work at all.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #41
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Who defined "good tone" anyway?

Tones have uses, there are no good or bad tones. There is only using tones in bad taste, which is subjective, but no tone is inherently bad.

For example, if I were to roll off the tone control on my neck pickup, and use it with some heavy distortion to play a heavy riff, no doubt it would sound pretty muddy and horrible, but I could take that sound and use it in a techno song for some pseudo-synth sounds, and it would sound pretty cool. Many "bad tones" have great uses in more experimental and avant-garde styles of playing. Many "good tones" would sound horrible when pulled out of musical context.

However with bad technique, things are going to sound bad no matter what tone you use, so technique is apparently more important than the tone used in overall sound.
You make a good point. It's all about context.
Unread 07-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #42
is rollin'

Send a message via AIM to Captain Dan
Dude-do they make finger transplants?? But seriously-your technique is what makes the guitar sing-the thing doesn't play on its own it takes talent no matter if it was made by some dude named paul or some dude named taylor-
-Fender Twin
-Crate 50watt solid state
-Crate Practice Amp
Alvarez Acoustic
Seagull Artist Acoustic Electric
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #43
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
Dude-do they make finger transplants?? But seriously-your technique is what makes the guitar sing-the thing doesn't play on its own it takes talent no matter if it was made by some dude named paul or some dude named taylor-

Dude, technique is generally whats referred to as "The Fingers". And your point seems confused, or was there actually even a point to that post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter View Post

Dude, technique is generally whats referred to as "The Fingers". And your point seems confused, or was there actually even a point to that post?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #45
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
his post made sense to me...

It didnt seem to go anywhere.
And it folded back in on itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote