Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to xevan
hmm and I wasnt joking btw what I sorta of meant is how do you know if you have good technique or bad technique?

xevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
The easy answer would be to listen to a few professional or semi-pro guitarists and then listen to yourself and compare the two but the world of professional guitarists is pretty diverse so you'd have to know what it is that you're listening for.

Case in point: Kurt Cobain had some horrid technique and was on the low end of the musical diversity scale but he was a professional guitarist none the less.
On the other end, Steve Morse has what I think is amazing technique and also a very diverse musical repitoire from which to pull. He, too, is a pro.
And a guy like Eric Clapton falls somewhere in the middle having good technique and a fairly common musical vocabulary.

I posted a couple examples in a reply in this thread regarding different levels of progression of simple lead playing.
Maybe give it a listen and see if it helps answer your question and hopefully inspires you on.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #18

I don't care if you're Yngvie Malmsteem. If you're playing a particle board strat copy with 5 dollar chinese pickups through an amp with blown preamp tubes, you're gonna sound crappy no mater what you do.

Technique makes a lot of it. But there is no way I'm gonna get "my sound" unless I use my Stingray and Mesa head. The cabs aren't quite as important, but still a factor. Characteristic tones, especially good characteristic tones come from certain gear... I think it is a large factor. It is a huge fallacy to say "It's all in the fingers."
Visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
Can't Play Drums

It all comes down to is you can play clear (barring, agility on changing and such). If you're able to do that it dosent matter what you play on you'll sound good. I like playing on a 60 dollar nylon 1/2 size guitar. I think it sounds great. Also you're strings help...
Truth? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #20
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Kurt Cobain had some horrid technique and was on the low end of the musical diversity scale but he was a professional guitarist none the less.
I think he counts as good-enough-technique-to-sound-good.

It's like you'd be hard pressed to hear a simple strummed G, and be able to tell whether the player in question had been playing for 5 years or 50 years.

Concerning Ted's comment:
It comes to a point. There is a distinct difference between gear that's not very good, and gear that just doesn't work. No one can say that a guitar with 2 inch action is playable, or an amp with blown tubes will sound good with a decent player. That stuff just doesn't operate like a guitar should. There is a threshold where you just can't get a good sound no matterhow you try, and that's bascially the threshold of brokenness.

However in the current world, that hardly applies to new guitars anymore. I'm going to point out what's possibly the cheapest stuff on the market: The First Acts at Wal-Mart. A good guitarist can make those sound good.

Current manufacturing techniques rarely spit out something that can't work. Even cheap guitars usually work.

And I in fact play a particle-board guitar with cheap Chinese (actually one is mexican, the other is indonesian, and the last one is chinese...) pickups. You can hear it here...
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...d.php?t=130494

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
My hollowbody does metal awesomely. I use 12s on it, it downtunes like none of my other guitars can.

I can make any of my guitars sound metal if I want. I can make any of them sound folky, I can make any of them sound bluesy. It's my technique that makes 'em sound like that, not any inherent property of the guitar.
I mean they don't get the best tone for metal as a solid body does. Sure they can do metal but they don't sound best.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
"Best" is incredibly subjective. Telecasters wouldn't generally strike you as "the best" for punk and hardcore either, but Teles have seriously become the next big guitar in those musical styles.

And then there's Ted Nugent...

And also on a side note, on Thrice's video for "Image Of The Invisible", they're pretty clearly playing a Telecaster and a hollowbody of some sort...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #23
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visirale View Post
Technique makes a lot of it. But there is no way I'm gonna get "my sound" unless I use my Stingray and Mesa head.
Of course...thats the bass, right?

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
Dogbert's back!

I play with good, solid technique and I notice a difference between two instruments. I brought in my Washburn for praise and worship and they couldn't get it to sound good. I brought in my Ibanez Prestige and it just naturally sounded better. I also recently modified my Ibanez by lowering the action, and on certain pickups the thing sounds like I'm strumming an acoustic (I heightened my pickups a litte, too). It's odd to play 5th string root power chords because the G string has been buzzy before, and it sounds even worse now. The effect may be good, but the chord just sounds odd because of the quality of the guitar. Really, it's half and half. If you can't hit the note so that it plays cleanly, it's nothing to do with your hardware. But if you have perfect technique but something sounds bad, it's not you so it must be your hardware.

I'd say this is one of those cases where it's not directly one or the other. I'd say the myths are "It's all in the fingers" and "it's all in the equipment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
"Best" is incredibly subjective. Telecasters wouldn't generally strike you as "the best" for punk and hardcore either, but Teles have seriously become the next big guitar in those musical styles.
Yeah, one time I was at my local guitar store and one of the employees was playing some metal riff on a Fender and I said, "You got that sound out of a Fender??" I've never really associated the name Fender with anything other than Clapton or the blues.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
Of course...thats the bass, right?
indeed he's referring to bass, but the principles are widely the same.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #26
Your car crash eyes...

It's not all in the fingers. Yes, a fair amount is in the fingers, but you also need decent gear.

I played my girlfriend's Starcaster by Fender (the Walmart one) and could not get a good sound out of it. Now, I can get a good sound out of my newly bought Fender MIM Strat. And an even better sound out of my Uncles MIA Strat.

Also, a proper set-up is definately a big factor. I've picked up Gibsons, Fenders, ect. at Guitar Center that had crappy intonation, poor action, ect. Couldn't get a good sound out of those. Had you given me a no-name Chinese guitar that was properly set-up, I would have been better off.
Unread 07-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #27
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
It's not all in the fingers. Yes, a fair amount is in the fingers, but you also need decent gear.

I played my girlfriend's Starcaster by Fender (the Walmart one) and could not get a good sound out of it. Now, I can get a good sound out of my newly bought Fender MIM Strat. And an even better sound out of my Uncles MIA Strat.

Also, a proper set-up is definately a big factor. I've picked up Gibsons, Fenders, ect. at Guitar Center that had crappy intonation, poor action, ect. Couldn't get a good sound out of those. Had you given me a no-name Chinese guitar that was properly set-up, I would have been better off.
I hear you.
I think that the key word is "best". As others have already said, "best" is a very subjective term and, therefore, there is no "best" gear.
There's gear that works for a particular person's purposes and there's gear that does not work for those or any purposes (other than as firewood, doorstop, boat anchor or oar, paperweight, etc...).

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #28
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Good and bad tone are subjective. Its all in the ear of the beholder afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #29
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter View Post
Good and bad tone are subjective. Its all in the ear of the beholder afterall.
Can I be the first to dispell this myth as well? To a degree, it is subjective. But just like art, there is much more objective things that separate good from bad. A bad photo is a bad photo, no matter how much you say you like it. And bad tone is bad tone no matter how much anyone says it's not. There are many facits of good tone that are subjective, such as one liking darker tone from an Orange, or brighter tone from an AC30, or heavy distortion from a Mesa, or clean tone from a Fender. But bad tone is bad, no question.
Unread 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing View Post
Can I be the first to dispell this myth as well? To a degree, it is subjective. But just like art, there is much more objective things that separate good from bad. A bad photo is a bad photo, no matter how much you say you like it. And bad tone is bad tone no matter how much anyone says it's not. There are many facits of good tone that are subjective, such as one liking darker tone from an Orange, or brighter tone from an AC30, or heavy distortion from a Mesa, or clean tone from a Fender. But bad tone is bad, no question.
Well.. Some people think this tone is awesome. (most people who are into metal a lot would think that) I personally can't stand it.