Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Ba da ba ba ba

Screaming Damage

How long does it take for bad damage to set in? Because I want to demo 2 or 3 songs for my band and I'll probably scream in them to show the singer how I want it but I don't want to screw up my voice as I have 2 semesters of Chorale coming up soon.

Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C. View Post
How long does it take for bad damage to set in? Because I want to demo 2 or 3 songs for my band and I'll probably scream in them to show the singer how I want it but I don't want to screw up my voice as I have 2 semesters of Chorale coming up soon.
Don't scream unless you have prepared yourself for it. I love to scream, but as soon as you feel pain, the damage is done. 2 or 3 songs shouldn't do to much, but drink lots of water and use the advice in the vocal advice thread. But as soon as you feel pain, stop.
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Ba da ba ba ba

Yeah, I've practiced a bit and I haven't felt outright pain. However, I've had some tickling which is bad enough. I've found some ways, though, that tickle and some that don't so I'll stick with those that don't.
Unread 07-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Yeah, I've practiced a bit and I haven't felt outright pain. However, I've had some tickling which is bad enough. I've found some ways, though, that tickle and some that don't so I'll stick with those that don't.
This may not work for everyone, but I like to drink anything carbonated before and after I scream. The bubbles seem to soothe my throat so I don't get pain.
Unread 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Ba da ba ba ba

Well, when I was practicing it I just drank a lot of water and used the mic to my advantage.
Unread 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Well, when I was practicing it I just drank a lot of water and used the mic to my advantage.
Then you're all set. There's really not a lot more you can do. The only really important thing to remember (like I mentioned before) is to stop when it starts to hurt.
Unread 08-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Ax
Rabid Wombat

a lot of people tell you not to breathe when you scream, but i have to disagree, the more air you are pusing from your diaphragm the less your vocal chords have to do thefore less damage...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
Ba da ba ba ba

Bah, I said screw it to screaming. They'll just have to hear it without vocals. I value my singing voice too much.
Unread 08-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Quote:
Bah, I said screw it to screaming. They'll just have to hear it without vocals. I value my singing voice too much.
Good choice

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
Yeah yeah

Send a message via AIM to Leo778
Can I suggest something?Get melissa cross' dvd.It helps you will NOT hurt your voice after watching this dvd.If you dont know who she is look her up on google.Please I BEG you.Screaming is not banging your vocals together!It doesnt come from the throat.A LOT of bands go to melissa cross for help(every time I die,Lamb of God,underoath and alot of others).Please just check it out!
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo778 View Post
Can I suggest something?Get melissa cross' dvd.It helps you will NOT hurt your voice after watching this dvd.If you dont know who she is look her up on google.Please I BEG you.Screaming is not banging your vocals together!It doesnt come from the throat.A LOT of bands go to melissa cross for help(every time I die,Lamb of God,underoath and alot of others).Please just check it out!
Underoath doesn't. Spencer is really screaming. There's no way you could get a tone like his unless you really scream.
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaukal View Post
Underoath doesn't. Spencer is really screaming. There's no way you could get a tone like his unless you really scream.
her website says that she's worked with Underoath...just because she's worked with them doesn't mean she's changed Spencer's vocal technique, though I couldn't imagine any decent vocal coach just saying, "oh yeah...keep screaming". I'm really curious about the DVD, however I'm not curious enough to buy the DVD.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
her website says that she's worked with Underoath...just because she's worked with them doesn't mean she's changed Spencer's vocal technique, though I couldn't imagine any decent vocal coach just saying, "oh yeah...keep screaming". I'm really curious about the DVD, however I'm not curious enough to buy the DVD.
I admit, I'm curious too. But I don't want to find it to be a waste of time that teaches me stuff I already know.
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaukal View Post
I admit, I'm curious too. But I don't want to find it to be a waste of time that teaches me stuff I already know.
the Conan video is interesting. It looks like what she teaches is face/mouth shaping, breathing technique and using the sound system to it's maximum capability

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
the Conan video is interesting. It looks like what she teaches is face/mouth shaping, breathing technique and using the sound system to it's maximum capability
I'll look into it. I could use a little help with my breathing techniques.