Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
Sarcasm? What's that?

reading this thread has brought up a few remarks i think i should make. i've been singing for years, people say i'm pretty good. i hurt my voice in christmas of '04, singing what should have been a tenor line, not a bass line. my voice came back ofter a while, but my low range still isn't what it once was. so when i started to get into metal and hard rock, i wanted to learn to scream without repeating what damage i did before. so i experimented some, and i learned something: there is a way to scream, that doesn't hurt, nor does it make you sound hoarse or anything, but it's not what most would call screaming. i remembered a rather loud and prolonged argument with my sister, before i hurt my voice. thinking back i remembered that when i yelled, i didn't screw my voice over. i wasn't hoarse or anything. with more experimentaion i figured out that the forced-sounding, higher-pitched screams are what messes up my voice, stuff like underoath, pillar, stuff like that. kinda nothing really new, since most of you singers know that relaxed is always better, but through all this i found a way to scream (well, yell really) that doesn't seem to cause any problems. dosn't really sound like most of the screaming you tend to hear, but it works.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Ba da ba ba ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo778 View Post
Can I suggest something?Get melissa cross' dvd.It helps you will NOT hurt your voice after watching this dvd.If you dont know who she is look her up on google.Please I BEG you.Screaming is not banging your vocals together!It doesnt come from the throat.A LOT of bands go to melissa cross for help(every time I die,Lamb of God,underoath and alot of others).Please just check it out!
If she's worked with Spencer, why does he always sound really hoarse when he talks? Oh I know...Because he screams.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C. View Post
If she's worked with Spencer, why does he always sound really hoarse when he talks? Oh I know...Because he screams.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Unread 08-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #19
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by What5647 View Post
there is a way to scream, that doesn't hurt, nor does it make you sound hoarse or anything, but it's not what most would call screaming.
Exactly, its not really screaming. What you are talking about is yelling with a relaxed throat. That's basically what they teach people in the military for calling marching commands. Opera singers at the top of their voice are also basically doing this. Babies scream this way too; I've never heard of a baby losing its voice from screaming or crying too much. The screaming I have heard from EMO groups does not sound like it is coming from a relaxed throat. Even opera singers can mess up their voice if they push to hard. Here is how to tell if you are damaging your voice whether you are singing or screaming: if your voice feels scratchy or hoarse afterwards, then you are damaging your vocal chords. Your vocal chords won't actually hurt because they don't have any nerve endings.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Spencer's voice dosen't sound bad at all. If you get the special edition DVD for "Define the Great Line" and listen to him screaming, It sounds good screaming and he dosen't talk wierd.
I too damaged my vioce screaming, the higher stuff seemed to hurt the most. I'm gonna try the DVD, and see if it can help with the damage I already did and help me scream right.

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #21
Band

Send a message via AIM to MrCrabby Send a message via MSN to MrCrabby
Why in the world would you continue to scream if you have already done damage to your voice?!?!

I simply cannot fathom whatever line of thinking you are on.
MrCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #22

By damage I don't mean I can't sing anymore, but I have trouble getting into my middle range. I'm not sure It's from screaming, but I think it could be because I didn't actually notice it untill after I was done screaming(I stoped screaming when I realized how terible it sounds, I'm definately doing something wrong).

(I can't spell good)
bass4christ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Maybe I'm just a purist, but, in my opinion, any type of screaming is just horrible for your voice. In this modern day, singers have forgotten that dynamic contrast and phrasing can portray more emotion than a scream.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer413 View Post
In this modern day, singers have forgotten that dynamic contrast and phrasing can portray more emotion than a scream.
I agree. The only thing that screaming communicates to me is anger. There is so much more to our emotions. Anger also masks other more core emotions like hurt and betrayal.
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
Ba da ba ba ba

And screaming can't portray a dynamic contrast?
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #26
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
And screaming can't portray a dynamic contrast?
I suppose there could be some. But tell me what this screaming is all about. What exactly is it trying to express and how would a Christian artist utilize it. I'm a boomer so I just haven't gotten what its about. Enlighten me.
Unread 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #27

http://www.melissacross.com/home.php?

it looks like she works with underoath
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #28
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog View Post
http://www.melissacross.com/home.php?

it looks like she works with underoath
Interesting. I watched the little video of her interview on Conan O'brian. Apparently she was originally a classically trained singer. It would appear that she is applying legitimate vocal technique to screaming. Actually it doesn't seem like screaming at all. It seems to be a softer kind of scream that would sound like a scream when it is done with microphone. My classical vocal technique is probably louder. I am curious if some of her technique could be used to make my classical voice sound more pop/rock. Looks like her videos are mostly geared for heavy metal singing though.