Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2001, 08:54 AM   #1
Liz

Question *please Help

Ive been playing classical guitar for about 1 1/2 years now and i recently taught myself how to strum. Is there a certain pattern you have to use to strum and how do you hold the pick? How often do you change the strings? -Liz

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:11 AM   #2
Good Grief!!!

There is not one certain pattern you have to strum. How you strum depends on what the time signature of your song is (how many beats in a measure and how they feel). There are countless strum "patterns," and fresh ones being used every day.

To hold a pick (assuming you mean a flat pick) correctly, use the pad of your thumb and the side of your index finger and hold on to most of the pick. Point it "down," so that the tip of the pick appears to be coming out the side of your thumb...

Some people really notice a change in sound when their strings age. I am one of these people, so I change strings every couple of weeks. That can get expensive, though, if you really don't notice a significant change in sound. There are many guitarists on these boards that only change every couple of months.

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:21 AM   #3
Liz

Is playing the electric guitar any different from playing acoustic?

Liz
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:27 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to jonh
Hi Liz,

i've been playing for about three years now...

if you have a classical guitar, usually you would use your fingers to strum instead of a pick (used mainly for folk). the fingers to use are your thumb and your index finger, or all fingers except the index finger (hard to explain, ask a classical guitarist)

but this is not comfortable for most people...

so... if you are using a pick, the ideal way is to grip it between your thumb and index finger, both fingers at right angles to each other where they hold the pick. the pick should also ideally be at right angles to the strings.

strumming patterns: there is no real strumming pattern, it depends on the song itself and the rhythm.. usually by listening closely enough to the guitar or even the drums, you should be able to work out a simple up-down pattern.

i encourage you to be relaxed and free with your strumming, forcing the rhythm takes some practice... and you will be more comfortable just *swinging* your arm, allowing yourself to be more expressive..

put in some wrist action too! let the action be natural...

main tip : listen to many diff styles ALOT to get used to the strumming patterns, play along to cds.. take note esp of where the 'up' and 'down' strokes are.. these are very important...

also remember that you dont have to strum every string either.. usually the lowest note you strum should be the bass note, not always on the 'low e' string... after prac u should be quite accurate using a pick!

changing strings : pros change every session mostly.. haha.. but they're sponsored... new strings ALWAYS sound good. i change my acoustic strings about once a month when its my bands turn to play for worship ( i have torrid body fluids ), but for classical guitars, i think they seldom need changing. change when they sound real real bad...

yeah.. keep on listening to strumming patterns... get the groove.. and feel the rhythm (not some kind of trance thing) seriously, treat the guit like an extension of your own body, praising God together in harmony....

keep on strumming!
jonh
jonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
Good Grief!!!

Playing the electric guitar doesn't take as much raw strength in your hand to fret the notes as an acoustic. Nylon string acoustics don't take as much raw strength to fret as steel-string guitars either. And steel-string acoustics with the action set quite low are easy to play anyways.

Electric guitar has the potential to be more difficult than acoustic because you are adding, essentially, another instrument to the mix: the amplifier. So, you have to be able to coax your amp into sounding like you want it to.

Of course, acoustic guitarists say that the acoustic guitar is where the good playing technique is learned, independent of a stack of pedals or other playing aids........

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2001, 02:11 AM   #6
Go Cats in 2002!!!

Send a message via ICQ to matnus
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Is playing the electric guitar any different from playing acoustic?

Liz
not sure

but it's a lot different from playing classical, let me tell you that!

Matt
matnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2001, 06:29 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to alfee
Playing the 2 guitars are quite similar, but the sounds produced are different.

Electrics can produce a large variety of sounds, with the right equipment. From motor engines (dist., floyd rose) to synth pads (chorus,ebow). Learning through experimenting is exciting, sometimes frustrating, when u can't get the sound you want. Like Nate has pointed out, equipment "coax-ing" is needed.

Steel-string acoustic guitars don't use much equipment (generally speaking). They're more "natural" sounding, providing very good rhythm.
Unread 12-08-2001, 09:15 AM   #8
Liz

I know its ALOT different from classical and i HATE classical cause my mom is making me take it. I just wanna play acoustic. Thanks yall. Liz
Unread 12-17-2001, 11:40 AM   #9
This is My band ( I wish)

Smile

Hi Liz

I have an Electric Guitar and My friend has an Acoustic and there is a little bit of difference the Electric has a thiner neck and the acoustic has a wider neck. Playing the Clasical is the Hardest guitar to play because it has a very wide neck electric is the easiest, Believe me.

tanx
Ryan
Split2000 is offline   Reply With Quote