Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude9375 View Post
Comparing these brands/guitars are like comparing apples and oranges. It is all up to personal taste and what you need. End of story.
I wouldn't agree with this at all. It's more like comparing a cheaper orange, to a higher quality orange straight from the orchard.

Unread 07-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #17

I use an Epiphone SG rather than a Gibson SG because I just don't have $1,100. If I could have a Gibson of course I would take it. Gibsons are better guitars but Epiphones are cheaper and they still have most of the good quality of Gibsons. The difference? Like some people have already said, materials.
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc View Post
I wouldn't agree with this at all. It's more like comparing a cheaper orange, to a higher quality orange straight from the orchard.
Very good analogy.

And Epi Elite/Elitist guitars are not "the exact same" as Gibson although they are Epi Japan and not Epi Korea or Indonesia and therefore their overall quality of materials, build specs and quality control is much higher than the average Epiphone.

Using the above analogy:
Epi Les Paul Standard - your average orange
Epi Elitist Les Paul Standard - your better than average orange
Gibson Les Paul Standard - you wonder why this orange costs so much until you taste it

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
Your car crash eyes...

Just a side note: The work ethic in Japan is much higher than that in the U.S. (usually). Japanese students are taught to work the hardest at everything they do. Based off of this, I'd assume that the Japanese made Elitist Les Pauls probably aren't poorly made.
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc View Post
IMO that is not allways true. I have seen Epiphones that were IMO better in fit and finish than some Gibsons. Gibson went through several owners in the 80's as did Fender. I would take a good new higher end Epi Paul over most Norlan era POS Gibsons anyday. One point in particular Gibson still uses the old style Nitro finishs on most if not all of there guitars the poly on the Epi will hold up to the road MUCH better!!
Back in the late 80's when I was working in a local shop the Squire Jap strats IMO were MUCH better in fit finish and workmanship than the real Fenders. That line is now the real Fender MIJ line. Bottom line on the higher end Epie's and Jap Squires the QC is a little sloppy but if you look hard and find a good one they can be VERY nice!
Washburn USA Customs

1994 One off handbuilt prototype for the MG 122,
1995 MG102,MG 120
1996 USA A-30
2007 PRS Custom 24
Washburn LTD 94 accoustic
Amps
2501 MK III Marshall JCM 900 Dual Master
Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt combo
Jet City JCA22H
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
A dreamer of pictures

Send a message via AIM to Nathanael Send a message via MSN to Nathanael
I thought this was a parody of the Fender vs Squier thread...
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreadhead View Post
Back in the late 80's when I was working in a local shop the Squire Jap strats IMO were MUCH better in fit finish and workmanship than the real Fenders. That line is now the real Fender MIJ line. Bottom line on the higher end Epie's and Jap Squires the QC is a little sloppy but if you look hard and find a good one they can be VERY nice!
the difference between then and now is that back then the Squier line wasn't necessarily there to be a budget brand as much as it was there to be the import brand.

Also, the "real" Fender MIJ line has been slapping Fender on the headstock for at least 25 years (I believe 1981 or so was when the Fender Japan factory opened). Of course, now the guitars made in Japan for Japanese consumption aren't MIJ, they're CIJ (Crafted in Japan)

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
I thought this was a parody of the Fender vs Squier thread...
In many ways, it is.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
haha... whatever dude

Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Neither is better, play Schecters.

Well... that would be the case if my dream guitar wasn't a cherry red Gibson SG with a slightly worn look. And no I don't mean like the SG Special.

Ok time for a real answer. Epiphone provides Gibsonesque guitars at a not so Gibsonesque price. In my opinion, the Epiphone Elitist guitars are every bit as good as their Gibson Standard counterparts. I know somebody out there could probably debate that, but that's my opinion.

But as of right now, I'd take a Schecter C-1 Classic over most Epiphones and Gibsons with the exception of the SG I described earlier.

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoTHAizzosh View Post
Neither is better, play Schecters.

Well... that would be the case if my dream guitar wasn't a cherry red Gibson SG with a slightly worn look. And no I don't mean like the SG Special.

Ok time for a real answer. Epiphone provides Gibsonesque guitars at a not so Gibsonesque price. In my opinion, the Epiphone Elitist guitars are every bit as good as their Gibson Standard counterparts. I know somebody out there could probably debate that, but that's my opinion.

But as of right now, I'd take a Schecter C-1 Classic over most Epiphones and Gibsons with the exception of the SG I described earlier.
Epi Elitists use poly finishes as opposed to Gibson's nitrocelulouse.
They also use an African mahogany as opposed to a South American mahogany.
And the pickups are not quite Classic '57 or Burstbucker spec but they are good MIA Gibson pickups.
So the Elitists are not every bit as good as their Gibson counterparts though they are much better than their Korean-made Epi counterparts as they use all solid woods and not laminates or pancakes or 7 to 11 pieces/body.

Schecter, while being a decent brand, is on-par with ESP's Korean-made LTD brand and not quite to high quality MIJ or MIA spec.
BTW: ESP owns Schecter.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #26
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
Ok, if you like Gibson raise your hand!

If you like Epi raise your hand!

Hoorah! We all have opionions!!! There will never be an answer to the questions and arguements in this thread b/c its all subjective.

BTW, Paul Reed Smith pwns you all.

lol
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #27
An ingrowing Whale

Send a message via AIM to dnl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude9375 View Post
Comparing these brands/guitars are like comparing apples and oranges. It is all up to personal taste and what you need. End of story.
I wouldn't say that's the case here!! The truth is the gibson version of a serie is practically always better and feels and looks more pro!

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Unread 07-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #28
haha... whatever dude

Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Epi Elitists use poly finishes as opposed to Gibson's nitrocelulouse.
They also use an African mahogany as opposed to a South American mahogany.
And the pickups are not quite Classic '57 or Burstbucker spec but they are good MIA Gibson pickups.
So the Elitists are not every bit as good as their Gibson counterparts though they are much better than their Korean-made Epi counterparts as they use all solid woods and not laminates or pancakes or 7 to 11 pieces/body.

Schecter, while being a decent brand, is on-par with ESP's Korean-made LTD brand and not quite to high quality MIJ or MIA spec.
BTW: ESP owns Schecter.
This, my friend, is why opinions are wonderful. Yay opinions!

Some may like Gibson, other's may like Fender. Personally, I like Schecter... even though my dream guitar is a Gibson and I own a Fender. Go figure that one out.

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Unread 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoTHAizzosh View Post
This, my friend, is why opinions are wonderful. Yay opinions!

Some may like Gibson, other's may like Fender. Personally, I like Schecter... even though my dream guitar is a Gibson and I own a Fender. Go figure that one out.
What was an opinion?

Everything I posted was fact. You can like Schecter...they make a fine guitar...but they are equal to ESP's LTD brand and they may even be made in the same factory in Korea.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to xevan
:/ hmm well I've played some bad@$$ epi's ... like most older epi's I've played kill the gibsons I have played but idk its all a matter of opinion I guess.
Closed Thread