Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
.
 
elijah77jc's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2002
Location: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 2,733
Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude9375 View Post
Comparing these brands/guitars are like comparing apples and oranges. It is all up to personal taste and what you need. End of story.
I wouldn't agree with this at all. It's more like comparing a cheaper orange, to a higher quality orange straight from the orchard.

__________________
Read my blog!
elijah77jc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #17
Registered User
 
akaukal's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,207
I use an Epiphone SG rather than a Gibson SG because I just don't have $1,100. If I could have a Gibson of course I would take it. Gibsons are better guitars but Epiphones are cheaper and they still have most of the good quality of Gibsons. The difference? Like some people have already said, materials.
__________________
Check out my band's music: http://facebook.com/mirrorsandtides
akaukal is offline  
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc View Post
I wouldn't agree with this at all. It's more like comparing a cheaper orange, to a higher quality orange straight from the orchard.
Very good analogy.

And Epi Elite/Elitist guitars are not "the exact same" as Gibson although they are Epi Japan and not Epi Korea or Indonesia and therefore their overall quality of materials, build specs and quality control is much higher than the average Epiphone.

Using the above analogy:
Epi Les Paul Standard - your average orange
Epi Elitist Les Paul Standard - your better than average orange
Gibson Les Paul Standard - you wonder why this orange costs so much until you taste it
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline  
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
Your car crash eyes...
 
Mattlock's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Detroit...
Posts: 10,446
Just a side note: The work ethic in Japan is much higher than that in the U.S. (usually). Japanese students are taught to work the hardest at everything they do. Based off of this, I'd assume that the Japanese made Elitist Les Pauls probably aren't poorly made.
__________________
Nobody (not even the rain) has such small hands.
Mattlock is offline  
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
Registered User
 
shreadhead's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc View Post
I wouldn't agree with this at all. It's more like comparing a cheaper orange, to a higher quality orange straight from the orchard.
IMO that is not allways true. I have seen Epiphones that were IMO better in fit and finish than some Gibsons. Gibson went through several owners in the 80's as did Fender. I would take a good new higher end Epi Paul over most Norlan era POS Gibsons anyday. One point in particular Gibson still uses the old style Nitro finishs on most if not all of there guitars the poly on the Epi will hold up to the road MUCH better!!
Back in the late 80's when I was working in a local shop the Squire Jap strats IMO were MUCH better in fit finish and workmanship than the real Fenders. That line is now the real Fender MIJ line. Bottom line on the higher end Epie's and Jap Squires the QC is a little sloppy but if you look hard and find a good one they can be VERY nice!
__________________
My "stuff"
Guitars -
Carvin1990 X220C,
Washburn USA Customs

1994 One off handbuilt prototype for the MG 122,
1995 MG102,MG 120
1996 USA A-30
2007 PRS Custom 24
Washburn LTD 94 accoustic
Amps
2501 MK III Marshall JCM 900 Dual Master
Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt combo
Jet City JCA22H
shreadhead is offline  
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #21
A dreamer of pictures
 
Nathanael's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Aways west of Sugar Mountain
Posts: 3,595
Send a message via AIM to Nathanael Send a message via MSN to Nathanael
I thought this was a parody of the Fender vs Squier thread...
Nathanael is offline  
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #22
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreadhead View Post
Back in the late 80's when I was working in a local shop the Squire Jap strats IMO were MUCH better in fit finish and workmanship than the real Fenders. That line is now the real Fender MIJ line. Bottom line on the higher end Epie's and Jap Squires the QC is a little sloppy but if you look hard and find a good one they can be VERY nice!
the difference between then and now is that back then the Squier line wasn't necessarily there to be a budget brand as much as it was there to be the import brand.

Also, the "real" Fender MIJ line has been slapping Fender on the headstock for at least 25 years (I believe 1981 or so was when the Fender Japan factory opened). Of course, now the guitars made in Japan for Japanese consumption aren't MIJ, they're CIJ (Crafted in Japan)
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 07-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #23
Registered User
 
CheshireCat's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
I thought this was a parody of the Fender vs Squier thread...
In many ways, it is.
__________________
Thought for the day . . . . Is the philosophical proof "pics or it didn't happen" a valid proof? Inquiring minds want to know.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
haha... whatever dude
 

Joined: Jun 2005
Location: under the third rock from the left
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Neither is better, play Schecters.

Well... that would be the case if my dream guitar wasn't a cherry red Gibson SG with a slightly worn look. And no I don't mean like the SG Special.

Ok time for a real answer. Epiphone provides Gibsonesque guitars at a not so Gibsonesque price. In my opinion, the Epiphone Elitist guitars are every bit as good as their Gibson Standard counterparts. I know somebody out there could probably debate that, but that's my opinion.

But as of right now, I'd take a Schecter C-1 Classic over most Epiphones and Gibsons with the exception of the SG I described earlier.
__________________
*My Gear*

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
JtoTHAizzosh is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #25
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoTHAizzosh View Post
Neither is better, play Schecters.

Well... that would be the case if my dream guitar wasn't a cherry red Gibson SG with a slightly worn look. And no I don't mean like the SG Special.

Ok time for a real answer. Epiphone provides Gibsonesque guitars at a not so Gibsonesque price. In my opinion, the Epiphone Elitist guitars are every bit as good as their Gibson Standard counterparts. I know somebody out there could probably debate that, but that's my opinion.

But as of right now, I'd take a Schecter C-1 Classic over most Epiphones and Gibsons with the exception of the SG I described earlier.
Epi Elitists use poly finishes as opposed to Gibson's nitrocelulouse.
They also use an African mahogany as opposed to a South American mahogany.
And the pickups are not quite Classic '57 or Burstbucker spec but they are good MIA Gibson pickups.
So the Elitists are not every bit as good as their Gibson counterparts though they are much better than their Korean-made Epi counterparts as they use all solid woods and not laminates or pancakes or 7 to 11 pieces/body.

Schecter, while being a decent brand, is on-par with ESP's Korean-made LTD brand and not quite to high quality MIJ or MIA spec.
BTW: ESP owns Schecter.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #26
Resigned.
 
Soap's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,878
Send a message via AIM to Soap
Ok, if you like Gibson raise your hand!

If you like Epi raise your hand!

Hoorah! We all have opionions!!! There will never be an answer to the questions and arguements in this thread b/c its all subjective.

BTW, Paul Reed Smith pwns you all.

lol
__________________
Soap is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #27
An ingrowing Whale
 
dnl88's Avatar
 

Joined: Jun 2003
Location: England New Ash Green!!!!
Posts: 567
Send a message via AIM to dnl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude9375 View Post
Comparing these brands/guitars are like comparing apples and oranges. It is all up to personal taste and what you need. End of story.
I wouldn't say that's the case here!! The truth is the gibson version of a serie is practically always better and feels and looks more pro!
__________________

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

dnl88 is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #28
haha... whatever dude
 

Joined: Jun 2005
Location: under the third rock from the left
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Epi Elitists use poly finishes as opposed to Gibson's nitrocelulouse.
They also use an African mahogany as opposed to a South American mahogany.
And the pickups are not quite Classic '57 or Burstbucker spec but they are good MIA Gibson pickups.
So the Elitists are not every bit as good as their Gibson counterparts though they are much better than their Korean-made Epi counterparts as they use all solid woods and not laminates or pancakes or 7 to 11 pieces/body.

Schecter, while being a decent brand, is on-par with ESP's Korean-made LTD brand and not quite to high quality MIJ or MIA spec.
BTW: ESP owns Schecter.
This, my friend, is why opinions are wonderful. Yay opinions!

Some may like Gibson, other's may like Fender. Personally, I like Schecter... even though my dream guitar is a Gibson and I own a Fender. Go figure that one out.
__________________
*My Gear*

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
JtoTHAizzosh is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #29
Heaven isn't too far away
 
gtrdave's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2004
Location: The First State
Posts: 6,730
Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoTHAizzosh View Post
This, my friend, is why opinions are wonderful. Yay opinions!

Some may like Gibson, other's may like Fender. Personally, I like Schecter... even though my dream guitar is a Gibson and I own a Fender. Go figure that one out.
What was an opinion?

Everything I posted was fact. You can like Schecter...they make a fine guitar...but they are equal to ESP's LTD brand and they may even be made in the same factory in Korea.
__________________
Lead, follow and get out of the way.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline  
Unread 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #30
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 321
Send a message via AIM to xevan
:/ hmm well I've played some bad@$$ epi's ... like most older epi's I've played kill the gibsons I have played but idk its all a matter of opinion I guess.
xevan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2