Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Super Mom

paid
Costco Frozen Chicken

Answering a challenge from my good friend Mrs. D!

12 things to fix for dinner with Costco frozen chicken breasts

Disclaimer: This is not the gourmet section of this forum. These are real dinner ideas for everyday cooks.

Basic cupboard/fridge staples:

Spaghetti sauce – I like Classico’s Tomato Garlic
Cream of Mushroom soup
Cream of Celery soup
Chicken broth
Barbeque sauce (I like KC’s Masterpiece)
Teriyaki glaze
Salsa
Crushed pineapple
Egg noodles
Rice

fresh or frozen veggies

*clears throat*

In the oven..

1. Spray a baking dish with spray oil or add a little bit of oil to the pan
Add desired number of frozen chicken pieces
Cover with spaghetti sauce – about ˝ cup per breast
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour covered with foil
Add more sauce to the tops pf the chicken breasts, uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. Call it Chicken Cacciatore.

2. Cook as above, but cover with barbecue sauce instead of spaghetti sauce. Oven Barbecued Chicken!

3. Cook as above, but cover with teriyaki glaze. At the one hour point, add canned pineapple and cook for the last 15 minutes uncovered. Let’s call it Hawaiian Chicken.

4. Cook as above, but use Cream of Mushroom soup, diluted with one can of water. Cook egg noodles according to package. Cut chicken in strips and serve chicken and sauce over noodles. Call it …Chicken Stroganoff?

5. Cook as above, but add salsa. Top with a little cheese when it comes out of the oven.
Fiesta Chicken!

Now, to the crock pot...

6. Cook the chicken in chicken broth on high for 3 hours, then on low for another 3 or so hours until it is falling apart. You can add veggies if you like. Serve this over noodles and call it – um, chicken noodles *weak smile *

7. Cut the chicken into 1” chunks. Cut up potatoes, carrots and onion and put everything in the crockpot with a couple cans of chicken broth. Add minced onion, salt, pepper, dried basil. Crock on high for about 3 hours. Chicken stew.

8. Follow “recipe” #7, but cut the chicken smaller, add one more can of chicken broth, a small (6 oz.) can of tomato sauce and about a quarter of a head of cabbage. Chicken soup.

(Actually, 1-5 would probably work great in the crockpot as well.)

Stove top...

9. Stir fry the chicken with veggies, add a little soy sauce and serve it over rice. Asian chicken!

10. Saute the chicken and veggies, add cream of celery soup and serve over noodles, top with cheese. Chicken continental.

11. Saute the chicken and veggies, add salsa and wrap it up in a tortilla. It’s a fajita, silly

12. Pat the chicken dry. Put ˝ cup of flour on a plate and add salt and pepper to the flour. Cover the chicken with flour, then shake it off. Beat an egg and add about a teaspoon of water to it. Put the chicken in the egg mixture. Put the eggy chicken back in the flour. Heat Ľ inch of oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add chicken to hot oil. Don’t burn yourself. Reduce heat to medium and cook for – oh, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat if it’s getting too brown. Turn it over and cook on the other side for 8 minutes. When it is thoroughly browned and the juice no longer runs red, serve your fried chicken.

Unread 06-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Be happy

You rock in so many ways.
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
intentionally left blank.

Send a message via AIM to hapa_angel Send a message via MSN to hapa_angel Send a message via Yahoo to hapa_angel
*bookmarks thread*
where every step i took in faith betrayed me
and led me from my home
Oh yeah, I had an account on imood.com
hapa_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
There. That's better.

Yay!!!!

Yes, she does, Bob. *grin*

I wanna play, I wanna play!

To #1: Before baking, roll chicken breasts in mixture of equal parts Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes then cover with sauce before baking last 15 and call it Chicken Parmesan.

To #2: Shred chicken after cooked, moisten with more BBQ sauce if needed and serve over crumbled corn muffins and call it Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Janes.

To #4 add right before serving: 1 cup sour cream and sprinkle with 1/2 cup buttered cracker crumbs and call it Sour Cream Chicken Breasts

To #4 add: 1-2 cups diced ham and call it Chicken Cordon Bleuish

To #5 add: Cube the chicken, add full jar of salsa, 1 can rinsed black beans and 1 can drained corn and call it Fiesta Rainbow Chicken.

Combine chicken and 1-2 cups of your favorite Italian dressing and several cloves of garlic in the crockpot until it is falling apart. Shred, toss with some chopped roma tomato, black olives and some pasta. Call it Better Than Your Mama's Italian Chicken. I am not good at naming things.

In the morning, pour about 1/3 c. olive oil over four chicken breasts. Add several cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and 1 T. crushed basil or Italian seasoning. Give it a stir and then refrigerate covered all day. Saute in 1 T. butter until golden on both sides and no longer pink. Slice and serve over garlic mashed potatoes. Call it Fancier Than What We Normally Eat Italian Chicken.

Boil chicken breasts until cooked through. Refrigerate, dice and toss with mayo, celery and s&p to taste. Serve in pita bread and call it Chicken Salad.

Do the same as above except add to it wild rice, halved red grapes and some slivered almonds being sure to moisten and season with enough mayo and s&p and call it Fancier Than What We Normally Eat Chicken Salad.

Cube chicken breasts and put in crockpot with 1 can Campbells's Golden Mushroom soup, 1/2 c. white wine and 1 c. sliced mushrooms. Cook until tender and then stir in 1. sour cream. Serve over egg noodles and call it Dang.

Wheeeeee!
Unread 06-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Be happy

Ok, you rock too.
Unread 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Super Mom

paid
*claps hands and runs in circles*
Dang! I like that one.
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
Crushy McSternum

Thaw and shred some chicken. Put it in a sauce pan with a can of crushed pineapple on medium heat until the chicken is done. Add spaghetti sauce if you like. Failing that, pop a large onion, two tomatoes, four cloves of garlic and two peppers of your choosing (one half, if bell pepper) and make your own salsa. Then thicken with ketchup for a poor man's spaghetti sauce. Add herbs to taste. Serve with, say, some salad and some bread toasted with olive oil until it's nice and crisp. Put the sauce on some egg noodles, spaghetti, or whatever pasta you have around. I call it Some Hawaiians Capped the Godfather.

If you feel like having a sandwich night, just thaw the chicken, cut it into thin strips and stir fry the chicken in olive oil (I have gotten to where I use olive oil for everything but dessert foods- and I am about ready to start using it there, too) with some cracked- not ground!- pepper and other spices of your choice. It's very important, when working with chicken in stir frying or grilling, that you let the surface of the chicken begin to caramelize.
Serve it up on a sub roll or on bread- a cibatta roll works best, though- with some cheese, some lettuce, pickles, onions, sandwich sprinkle- give it the works. I call it Pretty Nice.

Cube chicken and put it in your favorite pot used for soup with, again, the crushed pineapple. Throw in a can (or two) of pineapple juice if you are feeling crazy. Add frozen vegetables if you like. Be sure to add them in this order, though: sweet (onions count, as they are best for this when saute'd in pineapple juice and end up very sweet), neutral (potatoes, mushrooms, etc.), spicy (peppers). Eat it as a soup, thicken it to a stew, or serve it in a big bowl over some bruschetta. If you feel particularly savvy, riesling works well with it. [/sly]
I call it Some Hawaiians Capped Ma Kettle.

Now thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
-Woman's Constancy (John Donne)
H.M. Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to hapa_angel Send a message via MSN to hapa_angel Send a message via Yahoo to hapa_angel
Can I request recipies customized more to what we have on hand? Art and I have neither crock pot nor many of these ingredients at the moment. *smile* The only thing I can make outright, right this minute, of everything listed, is Jason's last recipie. Thus, that will be our dinner.

I could make do without the crock and still manage to create the chicken noodles/stew, but it wouldn't be nearly as nice without the longer simmering time. We've neither spaghetti sauce nor tomatoes, no cream soups, and are lacking teriyaki and barbecue sauces.

What can we still make? We currently have: brocolli, garlic, onion, half a bell pepper, mushrooms, cucumber... *thinks* canned olives, two sorts of brothy soups, eggs, canned corn and baby corn, imitation crab, and some pasta (not to mention ramen galore). Shopping is limited to about once a week, and the tiny fridge space is limited due to two other guys sharing it. It's quite challenging, trying to shop for us with almost nowhere to put anything. *smile*
and led me from my home
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Super Mom

paid
Sounds like delicious seafood omelets to me!

Rachel, what spices do you have on hand?
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom View Post
Sounds like delicious seafood omelets to me!

Rachel, what spices do you have on hand?
Eggs. Meh.

Hmmm.... From what I recall, we have pizza spice, basil, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg.. I think there's one more but I can't recall what it is. And fresh garlic and onion.

Off to make Hawaiians Capped My Kettle... [/blog-ish]
and led me from my home
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapa_angel View Post
Can I request recipies customized more to what we have on hand?
I sense a thread...
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Crushy McSternum

*Ma Kettle

Rachel: Try a soup/bread combo. Blanch some broccoli, chopped fairly fine, for about six seconds. Put that, bell pepper and onions on some bread- two or three slices per person. Top that with a lot of cheese and stick it in the oven on. Bake at, say, 350. Take it out and serve a nice, messy soup on top of that in a big bowl. The bread itself should be nice and crisp, almost hard.
You can put the soup together pretty cheaply. I am the king of cheap meals. I added up one of my better meals- based on the soup above- complete with homemade bread ingredients and a bottle of wine, all of which cost me less than $25 for five people. Snap a roma tomato. An onion here. Some squash there. A baking potato here. Add it all together and simmer it forever. Tweak it however you like! Only being able to cook off of a recipe card spells "DEATH" for anyone with a stove.

Or say that now
Unread 06-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Primordial Demon

Sauteed chicken breasts with roast garlic sauce:

Ingredients:
• 4 chicken breasts, thawed
• 1/3 cup flour
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/2 cup vermouth or dry white wine
• 2 heads garlic
• Fresh parsley and thyme, minced (for sauce garnish)
• salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice off top 1/4 of garlic heads so that most of the cloves are exposed. Drizzle garlic with a little bit of olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, until cloves are golden brown and spreadable.

2. Generously salt and pepper chicken breasts. Spread flour on plate and dredge chicken breasts in flour. In a 12-inch metal (not nonstick) skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons each of butter and olive oil on medium high until butter melts and foaming stops. Add chicken breasts and saute, about 5 minutes per side (more or less depending on thickness) until fully cooked and golden brown. Set chicken aside.

3. Pour vermouth/wine and chicken broth into skillet and deglaze. Set skillet over high heat and scrape up the carmelized bits clinging to the skillet. Reduce to about 1/2 cup. Off heat.

4. Press one head of garlic through a mesh strainer, into the skillet, pushing the roasted garlic through the strainer. (reserve other head to spread on bread or something) Whisk to combine with the sauce, and then whisk in 2-3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces. Add minced parsley and thyme and serve, pouring sauce over the chicken.

Note: If you don't have vermouth or wine, use 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth but squeeze a little bit of fresh lemon juice after you reduce it. If you only have a nonstick skillet, the sauce isn't going to be as good because you won't have as much fond (carmelized bits).
Qingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Crushy McSternum

I am thinking cast iron would be a good choice for that recipe, yes?

Or say that now
Unread 06-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Primordial Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Murdock View Post
I am thinking cast iron would be a good choice for that recipe, yes?
No sir. Cast iron's strength is in heat retention, not in developing a nice fond. Also, the acid in the wine or lemon might react with the cast iron. You'd probably be better off with a nonstick than cast iron, actually.

(I think cast iron is overrated.)
Qingu is offline   Reply With Quote