Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > Entertainment > Visual & Performing Arts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #226
no longer has long hair.

Send a message via AIM to guitarfan01 Send a message via MSN to guitarfan01 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarfan01
Have you ever considered doing comic-book style illustration?

Thing with that is, you have to know how to tell entire stories with pictures. If you want to look into it, I would recommend reading Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, and probably anything by Jack Kirby as well. His run on Fantastic Four with Stan Lee is one of the best things there is when it comes to action-oriented comic art. Bryan Hitch's work on The Ultimates exemplifies extremely-detailed "widescreen" mythmaking. Art Spigelman's comic Maus, is highly iconic with little drawn detail, but is a story you'll never forget. Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes and of course, Charles M. Schulz's Peanuts have fantastic comic timing, especially when you consider that the format for newspaper strips is/was extremely restrictive on space (the preceding paragraph is entirely my opinion).

And if you want to learn about the nuts and bolts of comics, the theory behind them, you can't go wrong with Scott McCloud's series, Understading Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics or the books by the legendary Will Eisner, Comics and Sequential Art and Graphic Storytelling.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of stories you want to tell through your art (whichever medium you choose): what do you want to do with it? Do you want to explore the interplay of light or push your art to the technical extreme? What moves you that you would like to move others? I guess that's the essential question any artist has to answer if he or she wants to do more than just play around. Which is not knocking playing around at all. That's what I do with music, but it won't suffice for me when it comes to film.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

Last edited by guitarfan01; 10-25-2007 at 01:47 AM.
guitarfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #227
impecunious

Send a message via MSN to Meggie moo moo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen
Have you ever considered doing comic-book style illustration?

Thing with that is, you have to know how to tell entire stories with pictures. If you want to look into it, I would recommend reading Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, and probably anything by Jack Kirby as well. His run on Fantastic Four with Stan Lee is one of the best things there is when it comes to action-oriented comic art. Bryan Hitch's work on The Ultimates exemplifies extremely-detailed "widescreen" mythmaking. Art Spigelman's comic Maus, is highly iconic with little drawn detail, but is a story you'll never forget. Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes and of course, Charles M. Schulz's Peanuts have fantastic comic timing, especially when you consider that the format for newspaper strips is/was extremely restrictive on space (the preceding paragraph is entirely my opinion).

And if you want to learn about the nuts and bolts of comics, the theory behind them, you can't go wrong with Scott McCloud's series, Understading Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics or the books by the legendary Will Eisner, Comics and Sequential Art and Graphic Storytelling.
I have considered it, but I think I need to perfect my skills with drawing from imagination before I attack anything too serious in this genre. As you can see, I have been experimenting with drawing completely imaginary things lately but have not yet produced anything that is of a quality I am satisfied with.

I must get my hand on some comics.

Quote:
I suppose it all depends on what kind of stories you want to tell through your art (whichever medium you choose): what do you want to do with it? Do you want to explore the interplay of light or push your art to the technical extreme? What moves you that you would like to move others? I guess that's the essential question any artist has to answer if he or she wants to do more than just play around. Which is not knocking playing around at all. That's what I do with music, but it won't suffice for me when it comes to film.
I have no idea, to be honest. For now I am focused on technical excellence (although that's been set back a bit this year with how busy I've been, but it's my last day of high school ever today, so I hope now I'll have a lot of time to do stuff soon), and have no idea what direction I'd like to go with my art. I seem to have fallen into doing caricature stuff at school- the Year 12 classroom is plastered with drawings of weird monsters and manipulations of real people I've done when bored in class. I've just been enlisted to draw a caricature of each person in my class for the yearbook. I enjoy doing light-hearted, fantastic sort of stuff- it not only makes me happy but others as well.

One thing's for sure: I am not just playing around.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #228
no longer has long hair.

Send a message via AIM to guitarfan01 Send a message via MSN to guitarfan01 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarfan01
Sweet. The artists and books I mentioned above are especially recommended.

Also, the art in Batman: Year One by penciller David Mazzuchelli, for me, sets the standard for realistic yet expressive comic art. And Tony Harris' work on Ex Machina practically defines the right way to use photoreference (here is a link to the first issue in .pdf format, completely legal from DC Comics' website). Mike Mignola is a master of light and shadow and using it to be creepy (as seen in his Hellboy works). Tim Sale also is good with the use of dramatic shadowing (terrible sentence structure, there).

All of these artists also are good at getting the eye to flow across the page in an understandable way and using the visual language of comics (which I imagine is related to other visual languages, but obviously will differ in places).

I have found some of these at the library, and depending on the size of a library near you, you might be able to as well (others, I purchased).

There are also a lot of different scans up on the LJ community scans_daily, which was invaluable to me when I started to read comics. Lemme see if I can get some examples of the ones I was talking about...

I'll go ahead and post this, which is what I have, and add more as time keeps slipping by.

Galen

Last edited by guitarfan01; 10-26-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: adding more info.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #229
impecunious

Quote:
Sweet. The artists and books I mentioned above are especially recommended.

Also, the art in Batman: Year One by penciller David Mazzuchelli, for me, sets the standard for realistic yet expressive comic art. And Tony Harris' work on Ex Machina practically defines the right way to use photoreference (here is a link to the first issue in .pdf format, completely legal from DC Comics' website). Mike Mignola is a master of light and shadow and using it to be creepy (as seen in his Hellboy works). Tim Sale also is good with the use of dramatic shadowing (terrible sentence structure, there).

All of these artists also are good at getting the eye to flow across the page in an understandable way and using the visual language of comics (which I imagine is related to other visual languages, but obviously will differ in places).

I have found some of these at the library, and depending on the size of a library near you, you might be able to as well (others, I purchased).

There are also a lot of different scans up on the LJ community scans_daily, which was invaluable to me when I started to read comics. Lemme see if I can get some examples of the ones I was talking about...

I'll go ahead and post this, which is what I have, and add more as time keeps slipping by.

Galen
Awesome. I'm going to look into it.

I found a picture of some semi-famous person and decided to draw it.
Attached Thumbnails
stonersmall.jpg  
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #230
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
I find that I repeat myself quite a bit in this thread, but that is really amazing!

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #231
impecunious

Quote:
I find that I repeat myself quite a bit in this thread, but that is really amazing!
Thanks, again.

Aussie comedian Mikey Robbins in a clown get up:

I must avoid chequered items of clothing in the future.

I am now going to focus on the many things that people have requested from me, which I have agreed to do, and have not yet gotten around to doing.
Attached Thumbnails
mikey-robbins.jpg  
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #232

Wish I could see.lol
Joe Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #233
impecunious

Another sketch:

Attached Thumbnails
scaryface.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #234
Hidin' from Sasquatch!

Nice. Anyone in particular?
kchenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #235
impecunious

Yes, it is someone. I've forgotten where I got the reference though. I have an inkling that it is an infamous doctor of sorts- a psychologist, perhaps.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #236
yea, it's me...

Send a message via AIM to chicka_218
rtncxsjgi djenmek vhemrignd
(your drawing has left me speechless. really though, you are amazing )

The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. -Vincent van Gogh

"There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do. "

Click HERE for the thrill of my life...
chicka_218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #237
no longer has long hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie moo moo View Post
Yes, it is someone. I've forgotten where I got the reference though. I have an inkling that it is an infamous doctor of sorts- a psychologist, perhaps.
The eyes (and nose and mouth) remind me somewhat of Rene Auberjonois.

Galen

Last edited by guitarfan01; 12-30-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #238
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka_218
rtncxsjgi djenmek vhemrignd
(your drawing has left me speechless. really though, you are amazing )
Thankyou dearly! I still fancy that I have a ways to go, although.

Quote:
The eyes (and nose and mouth) remind me somewhat of Rene Auberjonois.

Galen
The resemblance is quite obviously there, but I am sure it is not him.

So anyway, here's a quick little thing I created when experimenting with digital painting:
Attached Thumbnails
thing.jpg  
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #239
impecunious

And you all have probably seen this before, but I finally got around to takin a better photo of one of my school artworks I did this year:
Attached Thumbnails
solideogloriasmall.jpg  
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #240
..can you hear the rain..

You are really good.. you put me to shame. Honestly, I know it takes practice, but for me, I can never draw something unless I am told what to draw. Weird, huh? ...