Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Hardware > Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #31
The Great griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach View Post
2. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER buy ANY effect unless you know EXACTLY what it does and why you want it. Seriously. Just don't do it. If you don't know what it does, DON'T BUY IT. It would be best to read this site before buying any effects: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec...explained.html
As soon as he turns the effect on he'll know what it does. It takes a total of three seconds to figure out what a delay does, or flanger or chorus. (compressors might be a little harder to figure out.). If everyone avoided everything they didn't completely understand, we wouldn't have rock and roll.

To the original poster, you're not stupid, listen to some soundclips at some effects manufacturers websites, run down to guitar center (or another local store) and play around a bit, and take the plunge. Generally in a worship band you'd want some overdrive and delay, and maybe some reverb as well, maybe even a wah pedal. If I were you I'd start with delay, then a wah, then an OD.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #32
Be happy
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
As soon as he turns the effect on he'll know what it does. It takes a total of three seconds to figure out what a delay does, or flanger or chorus. (compressors might be a little harder to figure out.). If everyone avoided everything they didn't completely understand, we wouldn't have rock and roll.
Perhaps I need to be more clear. He may know what it sounds like, but he will not know what it does. If you could describe what a flanger, phaser, or chorus actually DOES upon first hearing, then you know a great deal more about how effects (and sound waves for that matter) than most people.

Of course, even knowing what an effect "does" will not necessary tell you what you can do with it. I knew someone who'd had a wah pedal for a year and couldn't play a decent solo or lead part with a wah. Using pedals well requires knowledge.

The problem with the approach of just buying something and then seeing what it does is that you may get stuck with something you don't want. I mean, if your only experience with chorus was Nirvana, you probably wouldn't suspect it was so useful on clean tones, and you'd probably think it was something of a novelty sound that wasn't useful in a range of fields. It could take years before realizing that you can use a delay pedal to do what The Edge does with his. If you just buy one and play with it, you aren't liable to come up with stuff like that. As far as compressors go, most people that own them don't understand them. Someone who buys a compressor thinking it's going to "increase sustain" and "tighten up their sound" is liable to be confused upon realizing that the thing does absolutely nothing but balance volume.

In sum, effects (like almost everything else in life) require knowledge to operate well. There's a difference between plugging in an effect and making your guitar sound strange and utilizing an effect to obtain a certain sound that fits with your style of playing.

Considering most good effects are around $75-150 per pedal, I think it's worth the extra consideration.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #33

I use a Wah, Overdirve, Delay and a smidgen of chorus occasionally. With those, you should able to cover most of the bases for modern worship. I think the absolute must-haves are a decent overdrive and delay IMHO.
SelahVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelahVie View Post
I use a Wah, Overdirve, Delay and a smidgen of chorus occasionally. With those, you should able to cover most of the bases for modern worship. I think the absolute must-haves are a decent overdrive and delay IMHO.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... and a volume pedal - I think these are crucial for worship music, because sometimes your really need to be subtle and blend. Well placed swells can add a lot...
SelahVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
Rock on
Administrator

paid
volume pedal, ebow, delay, and amp distortion here. Oh and a piezo pickup in the schechter for good measure.

My Life.

POW!
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #36

For worship I like to have a compressor, a light overdrive, a lead volume (with a little extra overdrive), a volume pedal and a delay. Everything else is extra. Of course a tuner is mandatory and I have a fuzz, flanger, phaser, distortion (mainly just used for an extra push for volume swells) and wah just to play with. There are a lot of options as to how you get the different overdrives and therefore its something you can build over time by using your amp or various pedals.

A compressor isnít typically used with the style of music I like (modern rock) but when dealing with all of the extra instruments on a Sunday morning (mainly just keyboard and church soundmen) it helps to keep things balanced without over powering the elderly. Itís a bit of a pet peeve of mine when the guitar disappears in the middle of a lick.

I keep my overdrive very light. If I play soft itís clean and when I play harder itís a nice overdrive. I say that to bring a point, another guitar player at our church uses almost no effects. The worship leader has to talk him into using distortion. That being said while he is a good player, everything sounds sterile. His sound just doesnít fit with the music.
Fret22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #37

Going back to the initial question-which effects to use. Well, I think anything and everything. You can do well with just guitar and amp. Or you can use effects galore-which is my preference. I think having different overdrive options is a good thing. And since so much for todays worship is using that U2rhythmic delay sound, a good delay will add a lot. I sometimes think that modulation should be purchased last because, at least to me, its the only effect that I can keep off and pretty much always have the song still being recognizable. For example, if a song uses chorus or phase, you usually can just play the part without it and it would still sound like the part just without that effect. However, you can't play 'Where the Streets have no name' without delay, period. Anyway, my thoughts.
james_richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #38

I use overdrive and delay. I will soon use my amps distortion when I get my tube amp. I would recoment researching and saving up for some nice effects. It really stinks to have to upgrade. And I agree with the guy who said to make sure you know what the effect does before buying it.
Fender Showmaster
Martin Hd-28
Thd Bivalve
Orange Tiny Terror
Boss DD-20
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Xotic RC Boost
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Empress Tremolo
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Tech 21 Liverpool
spyrotheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #39
Pearl plays her guitar

I use a Digitech GNX3000 all the time now. All I need are good amp models, mostly the Fender Twin for clean, Fender Tweed, Bassman and a Plexi 100. I use the overdrive mode to add dirt to any of these. The only other effects I've used are chorus (often) and delay (rarely). For individual effects, I'd say chorus and overdrive.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to bread man Send a message via MSN to bread man
I use distortion, delay and e-bow. I use tremolo very occasionally.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to akaukal Send a message via MSN to akaukal
I use distortion, chorus, I used a phaser a couple times, wah, and delay.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #42

I use overdrive, delay, trem, and an ebow. I have a volume pedal that I use quite a bit but thats not really an effect.
edriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #43
Blarg Honk!

Send a message via AIM to thrashmetal15 Send a message via MSN to thrashmetal15 Send a message via Yahoo to thrashmetal15
Quote:
All that said, there are no effects, guitars and/or amps that will make-up for poor technique, unpreparedness, and a heart that's not properly focused completely on worship.I say that to be sure that the priorities are straight, that's all.
+1

You can be an excellent singer, a stellar guitarist, run a great guitar through a tube amp in a great room, and still sound like crap if you're not prepared, or focused on WHY you're ACTUALLY there. If you can't be there solely for the glory of God perhaps you shouldn't be involved in Praise music. I've heard one (not stellar) singer with one acoustic guitar sound better than complete praise bands with multiple guitarists, excellent singers, piano, bass and drums. I really believe it was his attitude toward worship, and his knowledge of the songs that made the difference.

(this is not meant to sound like I'm saying you're not properly focused on worship, but it is something that I'm sure we all struggle with on the stage.)

That said, have a look at my sig. I'm supposed to be leading worship for my youth group's retreat in september. I intend to use the SZ (Single coils for clean, and buckers for dist) -> ts-7 -> cs-9 -> Blues Junior. I don't really see any use for wah or metal dist, heheh.
Ibanez WD-7 Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Boss Metal Zone MT-2 -> Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Pro Modded by Analog Man -> Ibanez CS-9 Stereo Chorus -> Digitech RP-150
Amps:
Ibanez TB100R, Ibanez TB25R

Check out my band!
thrashmetal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #44

OR you might sound awsome playing when your not focused on God but sound totally crappy to yourself lol and too self contouse about playing(this happens to me alot)
Fender Showmaster
Martin Hd-28
Thd Bivalve
Orange Tiny Terror
Boss DD-20
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Xotic RC Boost
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Empress Tremolo
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Tech 21 Liverpool
spyrotheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
The main things I use on the worship team is light OD, clean and chorus. Thats it.
If I could only hook one effect into my tube amp, it would be my chorus box. I use an ME-50 to create different sounds for different songs, but I can do most of it with my Boss CH-1 and Sparkle Drive.
wwjdnow is offline   Reply With Quote