Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #31
DANGER ZONE!

Send a message via AIM to Reno Rattler Send a message via MSN to Reno Rattler
I have an '02 Epi LP custom that I got brand new and an early 90's mim fat strat that I rescued from a pawn shop. Both good guitars. No tuning issues whatsoever with my strat and it has seen a lot of abuse. My LP had some tuning issues when I first got it, but after a few months it settled in and now stays very well. I like both of them. Stock for stock I liked the sound of my lp better, but once my strat got some Fender custom shop and SD pickups in, iit sounded way better.

Unread 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #32
iGuitar

Send a message via AIM to guitarjockey111 Send a message via MSN to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Skype™ to guitarjockey111
I've had my epi les paul classic since april,2,05 so over a year and I havent had a problem with it sounded decent and now it sounds terrific with new pickups in em. I havnt had a single problem with it at all so there great guitars just make sure you go and try it out first to make sure you get a god quality one and one that was manafactured bad at the company. Oh yeah Ive had my guitar for a year but its acutally on 2004 model so its 2 years old.

"A man without a vision is a man without a future. A man without a future will always return to his past. ~ Cleddie Keith"
guitarjockey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #33

The big advantage that the Paul has over the strat is sustain. Of course there are tons of ways to make a strat sustain more...but out of the box a LP has more sustain.

To some people it's not a big deal(or at least they'd never tell a LP guy it is ), but for some styles it's almost a neccesity(spelling?).

They're both great guitars though, and in fact I plan to purchase a mim soon myself, and assuming this isn't your first electric I'd say that you'd be fine either way....or you could just buy both of em'

http://www.smoothstoneguitars.com

....In case you were wondering, I am not dale
BlessedNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #34

I had a G-400 several years ago and it was really a nice guitar for the money. I gigged with it for 3 or 4 years and the only thing that I HAD to replace was the selector switch. I swapped out the tuners too, but only because the stock ones weren't as smooth and precise as I like them to be.

I also had a MIM Strat for a little while. Nice guitar, but I didn't like the trem (I haven't found any that I really do like) so I traded it for a MIJ hardtail.

Tom
Unread 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #35
Your car crash eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedNinja

The big advantage that the Paul has over the strat is sustain. Of course there are tons of ways to make a strat sustain more...but out of the box a LP has more sustain.

To some people it's not a big deal(or at least they'd never tell a LP guy it is ), but for some styles it's almost a neccesity(spelling?).

They're both great guitars though, and in fact I plan to purchase a mim soon myself, and assuming this isn't your first electric I'd say that you'd be fine either way....or you could just buy both of em'
Nah, actually, this would be my third electric. My first one crapped out on my, and my current has mediocre tone, is downscale, doesn't play very well, terrible intonation, and can't stay in tune. I definately need a gig/recording worthy guitar, and this just ain't giving it to me.

And I'm not gonna start a Les Paul/Strat debate. Both are good guitars for different styles.

Actually, tonight I'm gonna be playing someone's Epi at church... I'll definately be trying to get a good feel for it.
Unread 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlock
For those of you who own Epiphone guitars, such as the G-400 and Standard Les Paul, how well do they stand the test of time? After about a couple years of good use, do they start falling apart, does the finish start to chip or fade, do they still sound good, ect.?

I'm looking to buy a new guitar that I'd use for recording and gigging, and since we're recording this summer, I'd like to save up around 400-450 dollars. I've been looking at MIM Fenders, too. So for those who own an MIM Fender, could you answer the same questions as above?

Thank you.
After of couple of years of good use wouldn't a Gibson Les Paul fall apart of an American tele or strat fall apart? Of couse they would! In fact I see more neck cracks on Gibsons than any Epi I've ever seen. I think if i wanted a les paul sound i would just buy an epiphone(used) and it would last just as long as any top of the line Gibson. Now if you want a Fender just buy a MIM. I love mine. I think if you put aftermarket pups in a epi or Fender MIM them they would sound amazing, or even better than any American one.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspg70
After of couple of years of good use wouldn't a Gibson Les Paul fall apart of an American tele or strat fall apart? Of couse they would!
what? I have a very well used 1980s MIJ Strat and it plays just fine...it's just got some major wear and tear in it. I don't see why newer stuff wouldn't be different.
Quote:
In fact I see more neck cracks on Gibsons than any Epi I've ever seen.
i'd guess that part of this is because neck-repaired Gibsons can still fish a little bit of money. A neck repaired Epiphone would fetch less.
Quote:
I think if i wanted a les paul sound i would just buy an epiphone(used) and it would last just as long as any top of the line Gibson.
eh...i can't really argue with that
Quote:
Now if you want a Fender just buy a MIM. I love mine. I think if you put aftermarket pups in a epi or Fender MIM them they would sound amazing, or even better than any American one.
it might sound great, but there'd still be designed differences that may or may not be critical

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #38
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
After of couple of years of good use wouldn't a Gibson Les Paul fall apart of an American tele or strat fall apart? Of couse they would! In fact I see more neck cracks on Gibsons than any Epi I've ever seen. I think if i wanted a les paul sound i would just buy an epiphone(used) and it would last just as long as any top of the line Gibson. Now if you want a Fender just buy a MIM. I love mine. I think if you put aftermarket pups in a epi or Fender MIM them they would sound amazing, or even better than any American one.
Why would they have to fall apart, especially after only a couple of years? Like Steve, I have an '86 MIJ Fender Strat and I changed out the pickups and switching because they were starting to age - 20 year guitar- and I added Schallers. The neck, body, frets, tuners, bridge, cable input jack and nut were all fine. My 10 year old '96 Tele has EMG's put in, but everything else is stock and in fine condition. In fact, an old, broken in guitar may even play better than a brand new one! With respect to Gibson and Epiphone, I would never try to compare my son's Epiphone Dot to a Gibson 335 - again, nice but not even close!

I have nothing against MIM Fenders, but I think a common misconception with many is that all you have to do is swap out the pickups and your MIM is as good as or better than a MIA. Please get that notion out of your head or you might actually start believing it! With a MIA, you get a waaaaaay better neck (the most important difference), a larger choice of pickups, a hard case, better tuners, better fret finishing, a greater variety of neck radius, more finishes and color, more case candy (straps, cables, polish and polish cloth in many models), more models to choose from, etc. Think of a MIM as a good start to an even better guitar when you move up.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Why would they have to fall apart, especially after only a couple of years? Like Steve, I have an '86 MIJ Fender Strat and I changed out the pickups and switching because they were starting to age - 20 year guitar- and I added Schallers. The neck, body, frets, tuners, bridge, cable input jack and nut were all fine. My 10 year old '96 Tele has EMG's put in, but everything else is stock and in fine condition. In fact, an old, broken in guitar may even play better than a brand new one! With respect to Gibson and Epiphone, I would never try to compare my son's Epiphone Dot to a Gibson 335 - again, nice but not even close!

I have nothing against MIM Fenders, but I think a common misconception with many is that all you have to do is swap out the pickups and your MIM is as good as or better than a MIA. Please get that notion out of your head or you might actually start believing it! With a MIA, you get a waaaaaay better neck (the most important difference), a larger choice of pickups, a hard case, better tuners, better fret finishing, a greater variety of neck radius, more finishes and color, more case candy (straps, cables, polish and polish cloth in many models), more models to choose from, etc. Think of a MIM as a good start to an even better guitar when you move up.
Oops I'm sorry for saying it would break down in a few years. I meant that a Gibson would not last any longer than an Epi les paul. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know MIA Fenders have better parts, but with pickup upgrades it's hard to tell the diiference if even possible soundwise.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #40
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
I know MIA Fenders have better parts, but with pickup upgrades it's hard to tell the diiference if even possible soundwise.
Not that I totally agree that there is no difference soundwise, but for the sake of discussion, wouldn't you want a better playing guitar if the sound was the same? I know I would, that's why I put a lot of weight in how the neck plays. To me, it's the "tone is in the fingers" thing again.

Check this guy out:
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Not that I totally agree that there is no difference soundwise, but for the sake of discussion, wouldn't you want a better playing guitar if the sound was the same? I know I would, that's why I put a lot of weight in how the neck plays. To me, it's the "tone is in the fingers" thing again.
agreed. My MIJ Strat is honestly beat up to look at. the bridge is not original, rusted and missing some springs, the pickups magnets are also rusty, the nut is some cheap plasticlooking stuff...since the bridge isn't the original, it's got two huge exposed holes where the trem-shafts should be but aren't.

all that being said, the neck is a dream (25.5" scale with a 12" radius and 22 frets), and the body is light-weight and a very comfortable contour (much moreso than the MIM Strats I've played).

Honestly (and I know I've said this to you before Hopeful), my experience thus far has changed my mind on the Fender Strat. My previous experience with them was on MIM Strats. I never really could get into them, especially since I didn't want to think about having to do a pickup swap right out of the box to replace the tones I didn't like. With my Strat, I pretty much got everything I wanted for $100.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #42
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
agreed. My MIJ Strat is honestly beat up to look at. the bridge is not original, rusted and missing some springs, the pickups magnets are also rusty, the nut is some cheap plasticlooking stuff...since the bridge isn't the original, it's got two huge exposed holes where the trem-shafts should be but aren't.

all that being said, the neck is a dream (25.5" scale with a 12" radius and 22 frets), and the body is light-weight and a very comfortable contour (much moreso than the MIM Strats I've played).

Honestly (and I know I've said this to you before Hopeful), my experience thus far has changed my mind on the Fender Strat. My previous experience with them was on MIM Strats. I never really could get into them, especially since I didn't want to think about having to do a pickup swap right out of the box to replace the tones I didn't like. With my Strat, I pretty much got everything I wanted for $100.
Yes, that is why I keep saying how important the neck is and I know it's important to you and to others here. And that is why, no matter how much I love my MIJ, my MIA is the one to beat (for me). Again, I see nothing wrong with MIM's, but if you can get a good MIJ or MIA, you're better off.

Check this guy out:
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #43
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Yeah, I have been discovering how importent neck feel to me is, which is why I love my lp, since I love its neck . Whats weird is my friend has a gibson SG and I could compare than neck to an epiphone les paul junior, if not worse. No lie.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #44

I bought a used Epiphone SG that is apparently over 8 years old. It hasn't died yet and I haven't replaced any parts on it. I'm very happy with it.
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #45
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
After of couple of years of good use wouldn't a Gibson Les Paul fall apart of an American tele or strat fall apart? Of couse they would!
What are you talking about?
If that were the case then the neck of my '82 Standard would have "fall apart" many years ago. But here we are 24 years later and, I checked just Wednesday night, the neck is still on the guitar.
I've played '56 and '57 Les Paul's that were in perfect, non-"fall apart" condition 4 decades later.

Please, stop.

Just stop.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote