Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2001, 09:42 AM   #1
Mr. Pie

Send a message via AIM to The Flying Fish Send a message via MSN to The Flying Fish Send a message via Yahoo to The Flying Fish
Lightbulb Starting Out

I want to learn how to sing(if you truly can learn, or if it's just a talent God gives you)... I've taken a few singing lessons when I was younger, but now it seems like I've completely forgotten how to sing. Actually, I'm not sure if it's I can't remember how to sing, or if I don't have a good voice or not(although that's probably just me being self-conscious). I don't really know where to start from now though; I've heard it's good to just start by singing along with a favorite, slower song, and I think I'd probably need to take lessons again(which I can get that from worship band practice, I'm in the middle school worship band at church and we have weekly choir-type lessons for the singers).

Oh, and if it would help, I'd like to learn how to sing any kind of music, but I want to focus on the rock genre, everything from slow rock ballads to faster, more upbeat rock. I'd also like to be able to sing at church, probably not leading vocals but backing vocals, and that would also be a bit of rock music too, since the worship music we sing and play at church is modern praise and worship like artists like Passion, Delirious and Sonicflood sing. Thanks in advance for any help, everyone.

The Flying Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-02-2001, 06:04 PM   #2
Frail

Send a message via AIM to IAmCrossEyed
Well, for some people, it comes easy. A huge God given talent you might say.

For people like us, we have to work at it. I have an average to pretty good voice, but it is coming along. I have to work at it.

Some things that you need to focus on before anything else will come is: Breathing (you need to learn when to take breaths, or if not to at all), Solid notes (don't try to throw in the funky stuff until you can sing a note solid for a period of time).

That is my two cents.
<i>Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up.</i><b>John 3:14</b>

<i>I've got to decide, If I'm going to fly, Or let gravity keep me grounded.
And You, You're like the air, so free from gravity's snare.
When I'm afraid to move, You spring the Truth.
Now it's no secret, gravity can't hold me.
<b>Riley Armstrong</b></i></font></p>
IAmCrossEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2001, 06:14 PM   #3
Nosed Reindeer

take big breaths; use lots of air when you sing a note, keep your mouth open wide while singing
Unread 12-03-2001, 06:48 PM   #4

Man it's awesome that you want to learn to sing! Most people just think they already can without making any effort !! God has blessed me with some pretty useable musical talent, but everyone has to work to develop the talents God gives us (or we waste the gifts He has blessed us with!)

The absolute best thing you can do to be a better singer is to sing whenever you get a chance (with the radio, in church, wherever) AND sing loud enough to hear yourself . THE KEY IS listening to how you sound CAREFULLY and adjusting what you hear to sound like what you want to. 90% of good singing is good listening
Unread 12-07-2001, 11:29 AM   #5
Mr. Pie

Send a message via AIM to The Flying Fish Send a message via MSN to The Flying Fish Send a message via Yahoo to The Flying Fish
Smile

Cool, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to talk to my worship leader at church about the choir-type lessons I was talking about, and after a while maybe even try out for a background singing role.
The Flying Fish is offline   Reply With Quote