Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat
I've got the new nut installed and everything went fairly well. I still need to do a little more filing on the nut and do some fine adjustment of the intonation. The intonation has definitely improved though not quite as dramatic as the charts show on the Earvana website; I'm not sure that is possible with an acoustic (I think you really need adjustable saddles to get it perfect). I notice the most difference when using the capo on the first three frets. The main drawback that I notice so far is that there is a slight dampening effect on the strings. Other people have mentioned this in their reviews on Harmony Central (mostly with acoustics). I don't know if this is due to the type of material used or if it is due to the longer width of the nut. I'm still trying to make up my mind whether it is worth the trade off. I will see after I fine tune the setup. Good thing I used white glue instead of superglue
*First, there is a boomerang shaped saddle piece for acoustics which probably further helps.
*Second, the mention on the website that the effect on acoustics isnt' as dramatic as electrics.
*Third, the two piece assembly might be responsible for the slight dampening. I definitely don't have that probably with my OEM nut.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
*First, there is a boomerang shaped saddle piece for acoustics which probably further helps.
*Second, the mention on the website that the effect on acoustics isnt' as dramatic as electrics.
*Third, the two piece assembly might be responsible for the slight dampening. I definitely don't have that probably with my OEM nut.
My guitar was actually sharp enough that I don't need the special saddle or a reslot. I've got the top piece adjusted all the way toward the body and its still a hair sharp in most places. But your right, they did say that the effect would not be as dramatic as it is on the electric (the harmony reviews say this as well). The tuning does show noticeable improvement though. I think I was able to take care of some of the dampening. The base was a hair lower than the fretboard on the high E side so I took some fine sandpaper to the edge of the fretboard and that helped. I'm thinking the top piece probably needs to make good contact with fretboard for good sustain. I did a little more filing on the nut and it is sounding better and better. I think it will probably be a keeper.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat
I think it will probably be a keeper.
Coolio.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote