Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #76

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickStar4491
Nevermind, I changed the rendering mode and it works good.
Ah, under Prefs -> Fonts. Didn't even realize that existed.

Unread 06-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #77
Why am I still here?

Firefox has crashed on me twice tonight. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, Firefox often shows fonts wrong. Specifically, my xanga site is all serif instead of sans serif. Specifically, it should be Verdana and Arial, and it all looks Time New Roman.

And another, system buttons will show up a lot weird. Instead of white, they'll be solid red until I hover over them, in which they suddenly turn normal. I think it's mostly just a problem with the default Human theme. Anyone else have a problem with this?

EDIT: Nevermind the fonts. I installed truetype fonts and that fixed my problem.

Last edited by ApparentlyNothing; 06-05-2006 at 01:41 AM.
ApparentlyNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Firefox has crashed on me twice tonight. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, Firefox often shows fonts wrong. Specifically, my xanga site is all serif instead of sans serif. Specifically, it should be Verdana and Arial, and it all looks Time New Roman.

And another, system buttons will show up a lot weird. Instead of white, they'll be solid red until I hover over them, in which they suddenly turn normal. I think it's mostly just a problem with the default Human theme. Anyone else have a problem with this?

EDIT: Nevermind the fonts. I installed truetype fonts and that fixed my problem.
Can you get a screenshot of the buttons?

What happens when Firefox crashes?

I had this too, a while back, and it would just instantly close every instance. Upgrading to 1.5.0.4 fixed it (I had 1.5.0.2 or 3 from the beta).
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #79
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht00
Can you get a screenshot of the buttons?

What happens when Firefox crashes?

I had this too, a while back, and it would just instantly close every instance. Upgrading to 1.5.0.4 fixed it (I had 1.5.0.2 or 3 from the beta).
Well, I haven't gotten the buttons to do the same thing anymore. But if I see it happen again, I'll get a screenshot

I'm running 1.5.0.3 right now of Firefox. I'll try upgrading. But one of the times when it crashed was when I was uploading a screenshot to the screenshot thread.
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Well, I haven't gotten the buttons to do the same thing anymore. But if I see it happen again, I'll get a screenshot

I'm running 1.5.0.3 right now of Firefox. I'll try upgrading. But one of the times when it crashed was when I was uploading a screenshot to the screenshot thread.
Hmm... that's strange.

Anyways, it seems I had the problem with 1.5.0.2 and updated to 3 and haven't had a problem since.

Anyways, you might look into Swiftfox ( http://www.getswiftfox.com/ ). It's an optimized Linux build for different processors. It's quite a bit faster and snappier than the normal x86 build for me (I'm running an AMD64 processor). They have both Intel and AMD builds. You'll have to tweak it to get the plugins to work in Swiftfox (I haven't done it to mine yet), and you can only have Firefox or Swiftfox running (for example, if you have Swiftfox up and try to open Firefox, another instance of Swiftfox comes up).

They have the 1.5.0.4 build in Swiftfox and is pretty easy to get running. If this build of Swiftfox doesn't crash like the FF one, you may look at updating your FF too (though, you'll probably have to do it outside the repositories ).
Unread 06-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #81
likes pleasant suprises

So my friend and i just installed ubuntu on our laptops. Mine a Dell 700m and his a Toshiba (forgot the model). Only problem is mine is not able to run a 1280x800 widescreen resolution but his is. We have the same graphics card, Intel Exteme Intergrated.

I looked online for ways to fix it but nothing worked. Help?
smhatahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #82
Why am I still here?

I have a problem with fonts in Firefox. If you look at the screenshots, you'll notice that the font is really small compared to other fonts. The only sites I noticed this discrepancy is on xanga blogs and google, so I included screenshots of those two. Any idea how to make Firefox display fonts correctly?
Unread 06-14-2006, 02:42 AM   #83
Why am I still here?

Ok, another issue came up that is more important. I also posted this on the Ubuntu forums, but maybe I'll get help here too.

I was trying to get xgl/compiz working on my laptop, and somehow, I screwed everything up. I honestly am not sure what to tell you guys to let you know how I screwed it up, but all I know is that when I boot in to Ubuntu, the login screen is just a plain white screen. I can type my username and password blind and it'll act like it's going to log me in, but then there's only the blank background before the wallpaper loads and the top and bottom toolbars completely blank. I can move the mouse around, but that's it. Nothing else does anything. I don't know if anyone can help me out with such a vague amount of information on how I got here, but all I know is that I was trying to get compiz to work with one of the tutorials, and it seemed to work great. I logged in, and it seemed like normal except none of the windows had any borders and they couldn't be moved at all. So after a little bit of trying to figure stuff out, I logged out and back in the default session, tried to figure stuff out more, logged out, and here I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #84
Why am I still here?

So, disregard my last post. It seems it was a temporary thing. I got Compiz/XGL working, and it's pretty amazing. I didn't even think my Dell was capable of this kind of eye candy. It gives OSX a run for it's money, definitly. Anyone else try using it?

If you're unfamiliar with what it can do, check this out. Make sure you watch the videos to get a real idea of what it can do.
Unread 06-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #85
likes pleasant suprises

Quote:
So, disregard my last post. It seems it was a temporary thing. I got Compiz/XGL working, and it's pretty amazing. I didn't even think my Dell was capable of this kind of eye candy. It gives OSX a run for it's money, definitly. Anyone else try using it?

If you're unfamiliar with what it can do, check this out. Make sure you watch the videos to get a real idea of what it can do.
I can't get it to work. But i have 3ddesktop which is pretty cool.
smhatahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #86
We is dumb.

Send a message via AIM to fudrudler Send a message via MSN to fudrudler Send a message via Yahoo to fudrudler
So I just backed up my documents and pictures and am ready to reformat my computer. I have a disc for Ubuntu 6, but a friend of mine (who I very much so trust), said that I should DL Fedora 4 and use that instead. I was just wondering what you guys think. One way or another, I'm saying screw you to windows very soon.
Maxtor Maxline III 250G
1G Corsair Value Select
Monitor 1- Viewsonic G90F
Monitor 2 -Gateway EV700 (free from a Helpdesk Giveaway)
Logisys Dracula Case

DeviantArt

fudrudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #87
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudrudler View Post
So I just backed up my documents and pictures and am ready to reformat my computer. I have a disc for Ubuntu 6, but a friend of mine (who I very much so trust), said that I should DL Fedora 4 and use that instead. I was just wondering what you guys think. One way or another, I'm saying screw you to windows very soon.
As far as I can tell from my own experience with FC4 and from reading others experience with Ubuntu on here, Ubuntu is far more user-friendly (easier installation of programs, for example), but a little bit less powerful.

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #88
We is dumb.

Send a message via AIM to fudrudler Send a message via MSN to fudrudler Send a message via Yahoo to fudrudler
I think my friends biggest gripe was Ubuntu's power. He is the opitomy of the word super user, so he must have power. I am aspiring to be as he is, so I'm not sure if I should just use Ubuntu for now and try out Fedora later on. I have Fedora DLing right now (yay 13 hour downloads, good thing my ten hour DL lasted 3. Hopefully this does similar) Maybe I'll install FC4 and see how it goes. If it's too hard I'll just go get my nice Ubuntu disc and install that. I'm rooming with my amazing friend next year, so I can just go back to Fedora once I get there if need be.

I feel stupid. I had my DL going for about 3 or 4 hours and I accidently stopped it...Now my DL is going slower. Goo...I feel dumb.
Maxtor Maxline III 250G
1G Corsair Value Select
Logisys Dracula Case

DeviantArt

Last edited by fudrudler; 06-15-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Unread 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #89
We is dumb.

I installed Fedora Core 4...Then I spent a half hour crying cause I was confused. It might be partially due to the fact that I didn't sleep last night. My brain is just barely working right now.

I have the NDis wrapper, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I think I'll try doing it again, once I sleep and my brain regains function.
Maxtor Maxline III 250G
1G Corsair Value Select
Logisys Dracula Case

DeviantArt

Unread 06-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #90
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudrudler View Post
I installed Fedora Core 4...Then I spent a half hour crying cause I was confused. It might be partially due to the fact that I didn't sleep last night. My brain is just barely working right now.

I have the NDis wrapper, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I think I'll try doing it again, once I sleep and my brain regains function.
Haha. That ndiswrapper is the biggest pain in the you-know-what.

It would probably help if you could describe where you're having a problem first.

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote