Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Booya Jim

Send a message via AIM to SenorPapaCabasa
A little help with a new pickup

I just picked up a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 to drop in the neck on my epi explorer. I think I have a decent grasp on installing it, but i'm not completely confident

SD has a great schematic here:
http://seymourduncan.com/support/sch...ne-w-3way.html

For that red/white wire, what do i need to do to "insulate" it?? Everything else on that diagram is pretty clear. However, in the video i watched on their site, it looked to me like they only soldered one or two wires. Do i need to solder the mesh wire to ground as well, along with the green and bare wire??

The stock pickup just has two wires, ground and lead. It would be nice if i just had to solder in two wires for the new pup, but im guessing i cant do that.

Unread 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Booya Jim

Also, which way do i install it?? The adjustable side facing the neck or bridge?
Unread 05-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #3

Insulating - The best way is to use the appropriate size heat shrink tubing slip it over and shrink it on there. If you don't have any, electrical tape is ok, as is duct tape. You could also use silicone adhesive. Anything to keep it from making electrical contact if it were to touch another conductor in the cavity.

The bare wire is the "drain", the electrical connection for the shielding - you don't need to solder the mesh, just the green and drain/bare wire. Its not really a mesh per se, its an aluminum foil, which is not solderable, hence the drain wire.

The conventional way to install it is with the screw poles closest to the neck, but there's no major reason to do it that way, reverse it if you want. If it has a nickel cover, you may hear a slight difference in tone if reversed - a little brighter/more focused, if its an open coil I don't think you'll hear any difference.

If it has the stock pickup in the bridge - sometimes different brand pickups will be out of phase with each other when wired to mfr's directions. If the middle switch position (both pickups on) has a huge drop in volume, and it sounds really nasally, thin, and ugly, the 2 pickups are out of phase. Simply reverse the black and green on the SD - black to ground, green as the "hot", or reverse the wires on the other pickup.
Unread 05-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Booya Jim

Thanks Tom. Sooo i hadnt actually looked at the SD until now, when i strip back the mesh, i only see one bare wire, wound together?? Do i need to strip it back more?
Unread 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #5

The ground for the pickup is the mesh. The inside wire is the "hot" wire that goes to the pickup selector. Yes, you can peal as much back as needed.

By the way, good choice on the pickup. I have the same config in my guitar.
Unread 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Booya Jim

So is the wire already grounded, or do I need to solder something to the back of the pot? Sorry for the noob questions, i guess its the nerves.

And thanks, i hope i like it, i got a killer deal on it.
Unread 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

Solder the outside (the mesh) of the wire to the back of the common ground, the volume pot.
Unread 05-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #8

I'm not sure I understand your question... The bare wire is for the shield, which gets connected to ground - the back of the pot. Solder that bare wire and the green one to the back of the pot casing. If it has braided shielding, solder that to the back of the pot.

I'm a little fuzzy on SD's ve. DiMarzios vs. whatever brand as far as what brand has what type of shielding in the cable. Some use aluminum shield with drain (the bare wire), some use braided shielding. If it has the type of shielding shown in the link pic, it is aluminum foil, the bare wire is so you can connect to it since the aluminum won't accept solder. The bare wire is in contact with the aluminum foil throughout the length of the cable. The other type of shielding used is the old fashioned "braided" shield - strands of fine wire woven around the outside of the conductors, that type does not have a bare wire...at least not any that I remember seeing. With that type, you un-braid an inch or so, and solder that directly to the back of a pot casing.
Unread 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I'm not sure I understand your question... The bare wire is for the shield, which gets connected to ground - the back of the pot. Solder that bare wire and the green one to the back of the pot casing. If it has braided shielding, solder that to the back of the pot.

I'm a little fuzzy on SD's ve. DiMarzios vs. whatever brand as far as what brand has what type of shielding in the cable. Some use aluminum shield with drain (the bare wire), some use braided shielding. If it has the type of shielding shown in the link pic, it is aluminum foil, the bare wire is so you can connect to it since the aluminum won't accept solder. The bare wire is in contact with the aluminum foil throughout the length of the cable. The other type of shielding used is the old fashioned "braided" shield - strands of fine wire woven around the outside of the conductors, that type does not have a bare wire...at least not any that I remember seeing. With that type, you un-braid an inch or so, and solder that directly to the back of a pot casing.
It's the latter. There is a woven metal mesh, and underneath that is insulation for the hot wire.
Unread 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #10

OK, I just looked at the cable end of an SD '59 in the control cavity of one of my guits (at least I'm pretty sure that's what's in there ). It is the aluminum foil type, there is no braided shield, just like the pic in the link. Make sure you get rid of the excess aluminum foil, just pull it off, otherwise, it can short out against something and cause problems.
Unread 05-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
It's the latter. There is a woven metal mesh, and underneath that is insulation for the hot wire.
Hmmm....not on the one I have (see above post), but SD may have changed the type of cable they use. I do have another '59 in another ax, I'll have to check that one...
Unread 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #12

I have a pic of mine... Here: (it's the neck pickup)

Unread 05-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #13

Yes, that certainly is the braided shielding. The bridge SD has the aluminum foil shielding cable like mine. Interesting. Is one of those older than the other?
Unread 05-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #14

One thing I just remembered, both of my SD's are "bridge" pickups. The JB (bridge) was bought almost new, so it is a recent one. The neck is the '59, which I bought from RubberChipmunk. I don't think it's more than a year or 2 old.
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #15

Aha, I did a little checking. They apparently come both ways; with the "vintage" single conductor/braided shield cable and also a 4 conductor.