Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #1

buying guitar online

the guitar I'm interested in buying is $250 less on musicians friend, compared to the local store price.
Is it worth it to buy a guitar online,that you can't try in person?
what about getting it "set up " for playing - what is involved there and how much would that cost? Will a guitar store do that for something not purchased there?
thanks,
Amy

AmyKinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
Well..many local music stores do not have guitars set up either.

My local guy charges around 30 - 50 for a complete setup (Intonation, string height, new strings)

If its the same guitar, and you save around 200 in the long run, Id say go with the fiend.

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Living the Good Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKinWI
the guitar I'm interested in buying is $250 less on musicians friend, compared to the local store price.
what about getting it "set up " for playing - what is involved there and how much would that cost? Will a guitar store do that for something not purchased there?
thanks,
Amy
Do you want to pay shiping for a large, fragile item? The guitar will be the same as it is in the store as long as it is a mass production model and not a custom guitar, set up? Maybe you mean given strings and something else?
The guitar store will do it for a fee but sometimes they will do it for free. What guitar are you wanting to buy? Please post soon

Woohoo it is my blog
I don't need an Arcade, CPF is my Arcade
doulos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Pearl plays her guitar

In the last five years, I've bought seven electrics and two basses on line from eBay, Music123, Musicyo, Junior's Music and Rahan Guitars - about $5,000 worth in guitars alone. I have never had a problem except for one bass taking a long time getting to me because it got lost in transit. I've bought three amps, guitar processors, a whole bunch of effects and accessories and never had a problem with quality that'll probably add another $5,000. If the sellers are respected and reputable sellers on eBay or otherwise and if you know what you're looking for, I think you can trust them. Others will say you have to play the guitar before you buy it. There are two sides to the argument. I haven't been burned yet, so that's why my trust level is high.

One on line seller I might start doing business in the future is Sweetwater Music. They seem to have the best website and they seem to have more of a personal interest in me - I have an actual contact there, even though I haven't bought anything yet from them. Plus, they also have a low price guarantee (like most mass online sellers) that will beat the Musician's Friend price if they have the same item. I use this all the time in negotiating the best price. Never pay what they are asking for initially - there's always a way to get them to come down on their price.

In fact, you should never pay the sticker price even if you go into a local music store - you should ALWAYS negotiate, either for a lower price of see if they will throw in extras, like a case, straps, no tax, etc. Or maybe, even a free setup.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #5

Another thing you can try is to take the Musicians Friend Price in and see if they will match the price plus what it would cost to ship. Alot of stores will match... Or locate a Guitar Center. Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are sister companies. GC will match the price if not beat it.
Amps - Tech21 PE60
Leviathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
They really do!

I believe that musicians friend ships for free on orders over $99.
Third_Day_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Baby #2 is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third_Day_Rocks
I believe that musicians friend ships for free on orders over $99.

yes.

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

Unread 05-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #8

In that price range, there is absolutely NO consistency in the guitars, every one of them will play differently. I love my Dean, which is not a high end guitar, and in the store, I had to play 4 of them until I found one (all set up) that I liked. They all sounded differently.

Go to the store, most local shops are savvy enough to match online pricing nowadays, at least mine is.

If you're buying a $3000 guitar, online is fine, but not in this range, IMO.
Sigma Martin (my first way back when, gathering dust now)
My Ministry:
Check Out a Great Christian Teen Site!

</td>
youth4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Baby #2 is here!

So your saying for this person to purchace a guitar in the store instead of online.

Lets say the guitar costs 400 on musicians friend. Locally it costs 650. Now, even an expensive setup will be 60 dollars and free shipping.

Id rather pay 460 than 650...but thats just me.

Unread 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #10

Not really, if there is a $200 price difference, then go for it. Here locally, my shop uses MF and others to gauge pricing in store, so you won't usually find that kind of difference. As an example, the Dean was $25 more in the store, and I had them check MF to see that price, which they matched.

My Schecter was used, so of course, I bought it sight-unseen.

It's a case-by-case basis, and local shops can really over price stuff. I was assuming he could find a local shop similar to what we have here, and they would work with the pricing.

My point was that the difference in the guitars in this low price range goes way beyond setup. The plywood, glue, etc. might be drastically different between 2 guitars, and the build consistency isn't the same across a set of instruments. I don't think you're going to be able to fix that with a good setup. HOWEVER, if you just get one sent to you, and you don't play another one, it might not really make any difference anyway.
Sigma Martin (my first way back when, gathering dust now)
My Ministry:
Check Out a Great Christian Teen Site!

</td>
youth4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKinWI
thanks,
Amy
You can try a guitar on Ebay out. Go to GC or a local music store that sells it and try it . It's easy to set up a guitar. I did mine myself.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by youth4him
In that price range, there is absolutely NO consistency in the guitars, every one of them will play differently. I love my Dean, which is not a high end guitar, and in the store, I had to play 4 of them until I found one (all set up) that I liked. They all sounded differently.

Go to the store, most local shops are savvy enough to match online pricing nowadays, at least mine is.

If you're buying a $3000 guitar, online is fine, but not in this range, IMO.
Actually, she didn't state her price range, only that the guitar she was looking at was $250 less at MF which could be 10% on a $2,500 guitar - that's pretty good. My bet is that her local store will be willing to match it, but will charge sales tax. That could be quite substantial on an expensive guitar. The online sellers will charge sales tax only if you live in the state they are located in. Since they're all over the map, this can be avoided in most cases. Most online dealers that have been mentioned offer free shipping over $99, but make sure you check the fine print.

And thomas gives a couple good tips - I do that all the time as part of my research in buying.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #13

who can't setup thier one guitar? I have been able to set mine up after like less than a year of playing.
Fender Showmaster
Martin Hd-28
Thd Bivalve
Orange Tiny Terror
Boss DD-20
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Xotic RC Boost
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Empress Tremolo
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Tech 21 Liverpool
spyrotheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspg70
You can try a guitar on Ebay out. Go to GC or a local music store that sells it and try it . It's easy to set up a guitar. I did mine myself.
What is GC?? What is involved in a set up? I have changed strings before -that's about it.
Amy
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Actually, she didn't state her price range, only that the guitar she was looking at was $250 less at MF which could be 10% on a $2,500 guitar - that's pretty good. .
No - the guitar I am looking at is not that expensive. It's $600 or so at the music store, $350 on MF- it's an Ibanez AE - I have an Ibanez acoustic now I'm happy with - so I stuck with that brand... my budget is pretty limited right now.