Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #31
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
She would never ask me to (as confirmed above), but if we needed the money, yes, I absolutely would. And I would borrow hers. Anyhow, there are things I would start selling far before guitars. DVDs would probably be first to go (I have somewhere around 160), followed by computers (I have 3), followed by the TV, etc. Guitars are too important. Music is inspiring.
and I would jettison a few museum grade minerals first. Maybe the nickle iron meteor gracing my desk. Or some of my cut gems, or my crowning jewel of mineral and gem collecting. (it would bring in a pile of money)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #32
Art
Superfly.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
and I would jettison a few museum grade minerals first. Maybe the nickle iron meteor gracing my desk. Or some of my cut gems, or my crowning jewel of mineral and gem collecting. (it would bring in a pile of money)
Yes. Because you are awesome like that.
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #33
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Yes. Because you are awesome like that.
I have eccentric hobbies and expensive taste, and good luck with bargains.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #34
Art
Superfly.

paid
Quote:
I have eccentric hobbies and expensive taste, and good luck with bargains.
Which is awesome.

I have very expensive tastes, but no money to back them up. Which is why I do not have a guitar.
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Well Chesh, I live rather tightly right now. I can see needing to sell a guitar. In fact, my wife talked me out of selling my first guitar a few weeks back. She wouldn't do it. The thing is, if it were a tight enough situation to where she was asking that, I would bet my bottom dollar we would have jettisoned other valuables long before it came to the guitar. Heck, I inherited certain items specifically for such a time as that.

however, when it comes down to it, if times were rough enough, and it would have to be down to food or guitars, (I know my wife) then the guitars would go on ebay so fast it would make your head spin. I mean, the one I built would probably get some bids because there are the emg 81/85's I bought from MT in it.

The source of the question is weird, I will grant you, but I can see a time and place to ditch a guitar, but not one I built, heck, I might sell the emg zw's out of it long before that.

My wife likes my playing. She liks when I have softly written love songs to her on my electric... anyway, thats my more in depth take.
Well, with this and your subsequent posts, you kinda made my point. If we were dealing with a major financial crisis, then, yes, you get as creative as you can. In that case, I might even go so far as to sell a pickup out of my Utah, such as the EMG-89, or perhaps the Duncan Tele Antiquity. I could even sell some of the EMG circuits. Don't know what I'd get for them, but if I was reduced to that, then I'd do it.

However, the rest of my Utah I wouldn't, simply because, as spare parts, it wouldn't even be feasible to do it. I mean, come on, unless someone else wanted to build a Utah, what good would my body or neck be? What would be the heading? "Unique, Utah shaped guitar - great deal, NR"!?!

Otherwise, I suppose I could prune it a bit, if it meant putting bread on the table.

But that wasn't the main point I alluded to. Simply put, what is her motivation to have you sell it? Perhaps you can't quite wrap your brain around this one because, as it seems, you have an absolutely wonderful wife who would not only never put you thru that, but rather actually values your loves and interests and passions, and enjoys receiving the benefits of them. That is a wonderful thing to have, and you should thank her for it, if you don't already do so (and even if you do, thank her again).

So, yeah, in that regard, your points are valid, and I concur. My question was (apart from why did Yoda even ask in the first place) what if there wasn't a need to do so, and said sig other just wanted you to do so anyway . . . just because? It's not a question of whether you can imagine a time where you might need to unload some ballast. I concur, there are.

I'm just wondering about the scenario in which she had no expressed, practical, pressing need or reason, but, just for her own reasons, wanted you do give up your most prized guitar. I think that's kinda where Yoda might have been coming from, in fact.

So, to that end, the question still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
I don't think you can justify divorce over a guitar.
Whose justifying divorce? I must have missed that bit as well.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #36

Timely question. The opposite thing happened to me today.

On Saturday, my wife took a phone call from a guy at church saying he's trying to sell a "classic" guitar for his boss and he's going to bring it to church Sunday so I can take a look at it. When my wife told me about the call, she said I could buy the guitar if I want.

So anyway, the guy comes into church and shows me a customized Gibson SG that's in excellent condition. I try it out and it feels great. Then I plug into my amp and the guitar sounds thick and creamy. So I let him know I already have a Gibson electric and turn down the deal.

I like to think I have a good marriage.
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 03:28 AM   #37
Godin/Seagull Man

The best thing to do is never get yourself in such a financial crisis to begin with. There are occasions when financial crisis can be brought on by unforseeable events (such as maybe natural disaster or medical expenses) but most of the time they are avoidable with good stewardship. Judging from all the guitars in Pawnshops and being sold on Ebay to pay bills, guitar players seem to be noted for financial irresponsibility. My advice is to pay off your credit card at the end of every month, build an emergency fund of two months pay, put at least 10% toward a nest egg (a sound diversified investment, not a guitar collection), give 10% to God, and carry at least major medical insurance (no matter how young and healthy you think you are). My wife and I have always kept to this strategy from day one of our marriage and it is a source of peace. We are often tight in our budget but we have never lacked for anything we needed (and have never needed to sell any of our possessions to make ends meet). Financial problems can put tremendous strain on a relationship; being financially secure (not necessarily rich; there are a lot of rich people that are not financially secure) can go a long way towards a happy marriage and life.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #38
...more machine than man.

You have to decide whats more important to you. Your wife or your guitar. Even though its hard, I think we all know the correct answer. BTW, last year I sold a $1500 Les Paul(that was given to me by a mentor)l because my wife and I needed the money. It was tough, but I know I made the right decision. I still had my Pacifica, but its not the same. Still, my family is more important.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:02 AM   #39
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols
You have to decide whats more important to you. Your wife or your guitar. Even though its hard, I think we all know the correct answer. BTW, last year I sold a $1500 Les Paul(that was given to me by a mentor)l because my wife and I needed the money. It was tough, but I know I made the right decision. I still had my Pacifica, but its not the same. Still, my family is more important.
Takes a real man to do that.
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Whose justifying divorce? I must have missed that bit as well.
you had said,
Quote:
If she was a girlfriend, she'd be splitsville in a heartbeat, and if she was my wife, I'd seriously seek marriage counseling, but even then the prospects would be grim.
then you said
Quote:
So, if a gf or wife actually suggested that, and was for real about it, then that would either be a dealbreaker, or at least a major red flag would go up.
the implication of "i'd be splitsville from the girlfriend or i'd seek counseling for the wife but things would look grim" was that you'd leave the girlfriend and most likely counseling would fail for the wife. Her suggestion of selling a guitar would be a "dealbreaker"...the only "deal" I could think of is the marriage convenant. I'd really like to think that I'm misunderstanding you, but I really see no other way to interpret these two quotes.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #41

My first wife, and my current one, each asked me to sell my guitar. The first wife asked me to sell my electric and amp that had been sitting in the basement untouched for three years...I did.

My current widfe asked me to sell my acoustic when we needed food money, and we'd already sold just about everything of value (that we didn't use) to tide us over until the next paycheck. Of course, the consolation was she has a better guitar than I did!

Reading the responses to this question, I think that some folks have a pretty self-centered view when it comes to what's important...stuff or relationships.
WannaPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #42
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaPlay
Reading the responses to this question, I think that some folks have a pretty self-centered view when it comes to what's important...stuff or relationships.
I think you have to take into account the age of some folks here including the OP. A good reason not to marry young.
Unread 05-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #43
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by presbystrat
I think you have to take into account the age of some folks here including the OP. A good reason not to marry young.
I think that maturity, especially spiritually, plays the most important role in decision-making regardless of the age of the decision-maker.

I know plenty of folks 20 years my senior who are working on marriage #3 or 4 and not because they are a widow/widower but because they refuse to comprehend such words as "selflessness", "sacrifice", and "commitment".

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle
She would be farkusly mad
Unread 05-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
I planning on sticking with mine...haha. I agree with alot that has been said.

I mean...most of the time you can get away with just selling some other crap if you had to. I know my wife wouldnt expect me to sell a guitar, but we would go and see what else is around we could sell.

Gibson DC Std/Charvel TX Custom/MIK Fender Strat > Vol Pedal > Dano CC Drive > Dano CC Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby > Dano CC Tremolo > Boss DD-5 > Korg 301dl/XTLive > Blackstar HT-20; Yamaha FGX730SCA

Check out my new Youth Ministry blog, www.studentswilleatyou.blogspot.com , leave a comment if you're from CGR!

RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote