Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #1

Help please! I cant get any falsetto.

I have started singing lessons about 2 months ago and am 16. I am a tenor and can get high notes in chest voice up to about G sharp over middle C but anything above E above middle C, I cannot hit. I can barely squeak them out. I really would like to be able to scream in falsetto, really hit falsetto notes, but my voice is so weak above that E. Can anyone give tips. I dont know much about singing so could you tell me if you think this is a permanent thing?

Jimnightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnightshade
I have started singing lessons about 2 months ago and am 16. I am a tenor and can get high notes in chest voice up to about G sharp over middle C but anything above E above middle C, I cannot hit. I can barely squeak them out. I really would like to be able to scream in falsetto, really hit falsetto notes, but my voice is so weak above that E. Can anyone give tips. I dont know much about singing so could you tell me if you think this is a permanent thing?
I don't understand because an E is below G# which you say you can get. Have you talked to your voice teacher about it? Are you sure you are a tenor? You should be able to sing above an E in full voice. How low can you sing? Maybe you are a baritone. Perhaps your teacher can teach you how to do falsetto. Don't try to scream though; it is possible to get more volume without screaming.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Middle C? Thats tenor?

Most music for vocals Ive seen are written well above middle C, and those are tenor parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
Middle C? Thats tenor?

Most music for vocals Ive seen are written well above middle C, and those are tenor parts.
Middle C is about the middle of a tenor's range. It is confusing though that most tenor parts are written in tenor clef which is written an octave above a normal treble clef. I am a tenor and can comfortably reach to about an Ab (G#) above middle C (treble clef) without screaming. I can reach to about a high E in falsetto. A really well trained tenor can usually reach to a high C above middle C in full voice.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #5

Sorry for the misundertanding, its not that E, its the E an octave above that E which I cant hit in falsetto. I can hit every note between middle c and an octave above middle c In chest, but then when it gets to falsetto Im incredibly weak! Its terrible!
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Yes

Send a message via AIM to Only Alive
Really, that doesn't sound like tenor range, it sounds a bit more like baritone or something. The basses (myself included) in the whatcom college choir climb up over middle C to around E fairly requently.
Anyway, back to the question at hand... I've heard that basses often have better falsetto than tenors. Meaning, you just might not have a great falsetto. Keep working on it, and practicing up there. Right now, sing a falsetto note. You'll probably find there's one you can hit quite easy, most people have a small comfortable falsetto range. Controlling and expanding it can be hard though.

-Nick
Only Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Banned

Yeah bro I'm a heavy bass and I can go that high on a good day; you sound like a baritone.

Alright this may not be your problem but it's good to know: if your voice is dammaged at all your falsetto is the first thing to go. After I'm sick, there are a few days while I'm recovering during which I can sing fine in chest voice but my falsetto doesn't work. If you ever scream or strain your voice, this will affect your falsetto, and the rest of your voice may seem fine. If you're hitting a note that feels too high to be comfortable, you're straining. Just wanted to let you know that, as that may be the case. If it is, take it easy on your voice for a while and your falsetto should come back fairly quickly.

Some people don't even have a useable falsetto. Falsettos are nice to have and can add an octave or more, but if you don't have one you may have to learn how to live without.

You said you could get into your falsetto, but it was weak. Try doing warm ups, and just using your falsetto a lot. That will build strength in it.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #8

Only Alive, read the post directly above you.

So you mean some people just cant falsetto at all? Darnit!!!
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
Yes

Send a message via AIM to Only Alive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnightshade
Only Alive, read the post directly above you.

So you mean some people just cant falsetto at all? Darnit!!!
Whoops, didn't see that.
But yeah, some people just don't have a great falsetto. I'm sure you can improve it to some degree, though, with practice.

-Nick
Only Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Banned

Most people have the ability to have a falsetto, but a lot of guys just don't sing. They have the potential, but they don't use it. Some people sing and train their voice and just can't use their falsettos (I've only talked to a couple of people like this). I'm not sure why this is.

Oh and also, you're only 16. I wasn't able to develop my falsetto until I was almost 16 (actually that was when I got voice lessons and stopped straining), and that was even before most of my friends. The thing is, my voice changed when I was 13, and it took 2Ĺ years for it to completely be done transitioning and smooth out a bit. It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 years for a guy's voice to smooth out after it changes, and it does so even more between the ages of 19 and 22. Chances are, your voice is still transitioning and within a year you'll be able to use and develop your falsetto. So just take it easy on your voice for a while and one day you might try your falsetto and it'll work just fine.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #11

thanks fallinguprawks, that made me feel a little better. Im going crazy over here.