Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
used to like punk a lot.

into your heart through a pinhole...

COOL. so i've decide that this photography forum is pretty much rad. and so i'm gonna make a photo blog thing. you can check out some of my photos at my website (www.davidkumler.com) if you'd like. anyway, hope you enjoy. and feel free to CRITIQUE my work, i appreciate criticism.

i'll start it off with this one...

PunkRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
used to like punk a lot.

this one's a self-portrait...

Unread 04-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
used to like punk a lot.

i guess i'll post a couple more today...

i took this one last night:

Unread 04-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
used to like punk a lot.

this one is pretty old, but i really like it...

Unread 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #5

You've really got some creativity showing here, as well as a bit of surrealism. The only suggestion I have is that the examples you have aren't completely convincing. Especially the first one. Try going light on the photoshop next time, with out killing your style, and just see what you can come up with. You're definitely on the right track, and I really dig that last one. Keep up the good work.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
And here I was hoping someone was taking shots with a pinhole camera from your subject line...
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
used to like punk a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
You've really got some creativity showing here, as well as a bit of surrealism. The only suggestion I have is that the examples you have aren't completely convincing. Especially the first one. Try going light on the photoshop next time, with out killing your style, and just see what you can come up with. You're definitely on the right track, and I really dig that last one. Keep up the good work.
thanks for the comment. i've had people tell me that i tend to overprocess a little too much on some pictures. i try to limit my processing to dodging/burning, brightness/contrast, saturation and the like. i dont ever use multiple pictures and i only use cloning as a tool to clean up flaws.

someone posted a comment about "red(on)green" on another site, saying it was too photoshopped. actually, it is probably the least post-processed of them all. i've posted the original shot (resized, for better web viewing) here.

i've also posted an unprocessed image of "the ghost pianist" here, if anyone is interested in seeing it. i liked the eerie feeling that the processing gave it, although the original is more realistic.

anyway, thanks again for the comments!

Last edited by PunkRocker; 04-27-2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: incorrect hyperlink
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
used to like punk a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
And here I was hoping someone was taking shots with a pinhole camera from your subject line...
haha yeah... i wondered if that might decieve people. i haven't taken any pinhole pictures in a long time. i should do it again. that would be neat.

Unread 04-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
used to like punk a lot.

time for more pictures....

this one is new...i finished it yesterday...and i'll admit, it is VERY photoshopped...

Unread 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
used to like punk a lot.

this is my cousin...

Unread 04-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #11
used to like punk a lot.

and i guess i'll add one more for today...

Unread 04-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #12

I really like #3 and 4

I need male and female models in Central Ohio for a large project Check my MM portfolio for more information

MySpace Page
zekthedeadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #13

Here's the thing I've found with photoshop. The better your foundation is, the less photoshop(age?) you'll need. Thus, the idea is to use the lighting to compose the image in such a way that the photographer won't have to rely on photoshop as much. Professional photographers can wait months for the lighting, colors, and contrast to become perfect before taking the shot. My point? The better the original, the better the overall picture is going to be. Don't let photoshop become a crutch.

The football field shot is still IMO, one of your best. Why? Because it's a good example of contrast and perspective. This one didn't need a whole lot of "industrial" photoshopage. Those elements speak volumes alone. The shot conveys it's message well...the sheer dreariness (sp?) of the shot is spoken through the sky, the contrast, the color.[or lack there-of] And therefore, doesn't need to really be photoshopped.

Here's where I contradict myself...The bird picture is obviously overly modified. But in this case, it highly adds to the overall effect. The geometry of the shot becomes more prominent, and therefore, your framing of the subject is more apparent. The filters and such, do wonders for this example. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm sure the actual shot is not nearly as interesting without the modifications. It seems as though the colors become a bit more unified, and everything is just "tied together." What I'm trying to say is that photoshop can be a powerful tool. But it doesn't need to be used everywhere. Think of it as more of a part of the art, instead of a mandatory enhancement of each shot.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
used to like punk a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
Here's the thing I've found with photoshop. The better your foundation is, the less photoshop(age?) you'll need. Thus, the idea is to use the lighting to compose the image in such a way that the photographer won't have to rely on photoshop as much.
i agree, and that's what i tried to do with "red(on)green."

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm sure the actual shot is not nearly as interesting without the modifications.
you are absolutely right. the original image was really boring, but i was like "hey, how often do you get a shot of a bird that close up? i'm gonna photoshop it and make it cool."

anywho, i really appreciate the comments!

Unread 05-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
used to like punk a lot.

my friend and i went downtown yesterday to take some pictures. here are a few that i took...they're kinda creepy. we had fun taking them.