Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Is it such a crime?

Send a message via AIM to Paradigm_Shift
From Acoustic, to Electric (Seeking purchasing tips/brands)

So I took a look at the guidelines posted above, and decided to ask a question or two of my own. I am looking to purchase an electric.

-Experience. I have been playing Acoustic for 3 years.
-Guitar # 2
-Why you want a new guitar, if this is not your first. I am very interested in trying out an electric.
-Price range. $100 - $350ish
-Guitars you've looked at. Haven't looked at any. I own a Takamine Acoustic G-series.
-Amps you've looked at. Haven't looked at any. Advice wanted.
-Musical style. A wide variety of sounds. I want to be able to play some good, loud music - but be able to tone it down for a church setting.
-If you're willing to buy used gear. Yes, to an extent I suppose. It's not the most appealing concept, however.
-Where you plan to buy (guitar shop/local sellers/eBay/online store/etc.). All of the above. Doesn't matter, really.
-Situations you play in... Church, Home, Garage Band
-Any timelines. None - preferrably by mid-summer, however.
-Any other information that is relevant. I have been playing Acoustic for about 3-4 years, and have used only one guitar for the entire time... my Takamine G-series. Electric guitars have always appealed to me, and I am now seriously considering purchasing one.

Paradigm_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #2

Does 1-350$ include the amp? Or is that separate? Do you want single coils, or HBs? Alot of what you're asking pertains to the amp, and not so much the guitar. Be sure that when you are seriously considering an instrument purchase, that you do all of your homework, leave no doubt in your mind that you're decision is the right one. Specifics are your friend.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Hey, I can change this!!!

play a LOAD!!!!!

get out there and see what fits in your hands.

a decent music store will let you work along the rack of used gear if you explain what you're looking for

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Banned

Send a message via AIM to electrikkdreamz Send a message via MSN to electrikkdreamz
I've been playing less time than you. Acoustic for a year and 6 months, but I just recently bought a Washburn Idol W114 and I love it. I've been playing that for about 2 months, but I went to my local music store they provide a buttload of guitars, and I just sat there one day and asked the store manager (it wasnt busy that day) and tryed out all the guitars within my price range (since im still 15 and non working around $150-$160). It was not only fun but it helped my learn what was best for me.
Definatly ask questions and if they dont know research it. Better to get a good guitar over a crappy one.

Electrics seriously rock though...I'm the only one in my band with one
electrikkdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
Does 1-350$ include the amp? Or is that separate?
Most important question in the thread. Until this question is answered, I can't make any recommendations.
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Is it such a crime?

Ahh, I should have mentioned that.

I also have little experience with amps.

That price range does not include an amp... though I would not like to spend an exorbitant amount on an amp.

And electrikkdreamz, we are very much alike. I am 16 and getting a job this summer. Your suggestions are great - I'll have to run down to the local guitar place this weekend.
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I would definitely buy used. Used gear can be found for as low as 40% of the store price (sometimes even lower!). I still don't have a solid suggestion yet...I'm thinking, and waiting to see how others respond.

the reason amps have been mentioned is because the amp is (according to a few of us) the critical tonal center. Most people here are going to recommend that you spend at least $250 (at the lowest) but aiming for a range of $350-$500. I am not always one of those people, but I definitely know where some of the others are coming from.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Is it such a crime?

oof, $250 for an amp? Well, I guess I can see where they are coming from. The amp is what gives the guitar it's sound... the better the amp, the better the sound? I guess.

Used, you say? Well, that still doesn't appeal well to me, but if they can be that low, then I may be interested.
Is buying a used guitar like buying a used car, in the sense that it is essentially the same as a new item, with just a little bit of time under it's belt?
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm_Shift
oof, $250 for an amp? Well, I guess I can see where they are coming from. The amp is what gives the guitar it's sound... the better the amp, the better the sound? I guess.

Used, you say? Well, that still doesn't appeal well to me, but if they can be that low, then I may be interested.
Is buying a used guitar like buying a used car, in the sense that it is essentially the same as a new item, with just a little bit of time under it's belt?
buying a used guitar is better than buying a used car. cars are complicated, guitars are simple. I have a 1985 or so Fender Strat that plays great. I don't know too many cars from 1985 that I can say the same for.

as far as saving money goes, I'm talking about getting a $350 guitar for $250 or less. That's a savings of 25% that you won't be able to find for a new instrument, but might be able to get on a "like-new" one. that's money you can use for better things, like taking me to dinner or buying an amp

but yeah, as far as amps go, you basically have the idea right.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Is it such a crime?

Cool, makes sense.

And yeah... with the money saved with buying a used guitar I could essentially afford an amp. That makes it quite a bit more appealing.
Thanks for the advice so far, this is a great community
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #11

I think the best question to help us out is what electrified guitar players have tones you would want to use as a basis for how you would want your electric sound to be like. Answer this and I think we can more easily steer you in the right direction.
seventoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
Is it such a crime?

I don't think I quite understand what you are asking, sorry. Are you asking me what kind of sound or tone I am seeking in a guitar?
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
I don't think I quite understand what you are asking, sorry. Are you asking me what kind of sound or tone I am seeking in a guitar?
Yes, in order to suggest a guitar, one has to know what you want it to do and sound like. Since you dont know electrics to well it would be better to inform us of an electric player whose tone you admire. With that information we can look at his gear and suggest something in your price range that would get you close to his type of tone.
seventoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Be happy

Quote:
Basically, yeah. I would say that your amp most greatly affects your rig's tone and your guitar most greatly affects your rig's playability. Obviously, both are important. I think the reason you see so much talk about amps is because we're so used to people who think the amp is just a side thing of only minor importance.

As for tone, I think guitarists tend to make far too big of deal out of the differences between guitars. Aim for getting a good guitar, not one that is marketted to people who play the style of music you want to play.
Unread 04-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Is it such a crime?

Ahh, I gotcha now.
I have always enjoyed listening to Eric Johnson. Don't know if you or anyone here has heard of him... I may be able to find some clips floating around somewhere. Let me look.

Hopefully from his clips/music you can get an idea of what I like/am looking for.

EDIT - This was in reply to seventoglory.

Thanks for the tips, bob. That's something to consider as well.