Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
titletitletitle

'72 Thinline reissue

I am seriously considering buying a Fender '72 Thinline reissue (I don't have 4k for an original). The only reason I hesitated to put one on layaway (for a week or two) today is because of the neck. I love the sound it gets with the dual-humbuckers and semi-hollow body. The neck is not uncomfortable, it's just not what I'm used to. I have an LTD as my main guitar right now, and before that I had an Ibanez.

It's a good time for me to pick up a quality guitar... I'm living with my parents (still in college) but working full time until august. And I'm about to start playing shows with a band (they're already established but in need of a guitarist).

So before I buy this guitar, are there any guitars out there I should try that sound very similar but have a different neck feel?

Other tele's I've tried and don't like as much include:

'72 deluxe (dual-HB, solid body, different neck). I like the look and the neck feel better. Don't like the sound nearly as much.

'90s dual cutaway thinline w/ P90s. It was really cool, but P90s have never seemed very versatile to me.

A unknown model solid body dual HB w/ no pickguard. To heavy sounding. I would just buy a Les Paul if that's what I wanted.

I'm not dead set on a tele, but I really like this particular model for several reasons:

It's a very simple guitar with a string through bridge. It has just the right amount of holowness to its sound. I like the humbuckers in it... they're sensitive to playing technique and can go from chimey to warm to twangy. It has a little more meat to when distorted than most strats, and cleans up 1000x better than most guitars with dual humbuckers. It seems to work well with effects.

So if anybody has any suggestions for other guitars I should try out first, I'd like to know. The only thing I really want to try that I haven't been able to find is a G&L Deluxe semi-hollow. But those are probably more expensive than I want to go anyway.

Sponsored Links
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #2

Dude seems like your already sold on this one. Seeing how the neck is your only issue, Why dont you look into sanding it down? Its not that difficult to do.
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm222
So if anybody has any suggestions for other guitars I should try out first, I'd like to know. The only thing I really want to try that I haven't been able to find is a G&L Deluxe semi-hollow. But those are probably more expensive than I want to go anyway.
Unless you get one used. What are you looking for in a neck? What shape? Might I suggest a James Burton Tele and put in EMG's? I know, three single coils, but the EMG's are quite nice! I bought one used for about $800, even though they go new for $1,400. This one has a U-shaped neck that I've grown to like. Just some food for thought.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:44 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
My friend has a Fender 72 Thinline Reissue. Those guitars are built in Mexico. I have the Standard Tele(also built in Mexico) and personally I couldn't tell the difference between his tele and my tele, except that his was a semi hollowbody.
Unread 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #5

I'm no expert, but chances are, that neck is just a standard Fender feel. You've grown accustomed to LTD and Ibanez, who IMO..have very different necks from the thinline. Compare it to other Fenders, and I think you'll find that the "feel" you describe is normal for Fenders in general. See if you can't get used to it, because I think the '72 RI's are one of the better additions to the standard series in a while.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
I'm no expert, but chances are, that neck is just a standard Fender feel. You've grown accustomed to LTD and Ibanez, who IMO..have very different necks from the thinline. Compare it to other Fenders, and I think you'll find that the "feel" you describe is normal for Fenders in general. See if you can't get used to it, because I think the '72 RI's are one of the better additions to the standard series in a while.
the '72 feel is going to probably be alot different than LTD and Ibanez, and even a bit different than modern Fenders. The '72 is a U shaped neck with a 7.25" radius. The Fender Standard models are the C-shape with a 9.5" radius.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 04-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Quote:
'90s dual cutaway thinline w/ P90s. It was really cool, but P90s have never seemed very versatile to me.
I own this guitar. It is amazing. The End.
Unread 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #8

I recently purchased a Fender Custom Telecaster FMT (the Korean made version) which I really love. The neck was much different feeling than the Hamer USA that I have and had been my primary guitar for 5 years. At first the neck felt strange but it didn't take long for me to get accustomed to it. All that to say unless you just can't play it because it doesn't fit your hand right than you should get the guitar and you will get used to the different feel... IMHO.
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
the '72 feel is going to probably be alot different than LTD and Ibanez, and even a bit different than modern Fenders. The '72 is a U shaped neck with a 7.25" radius. The Fender Standard models are the C-shape with a 9.5" radius.
Yep and for someone that is used to an Ibanez neck that is going to feel and play MUCH diferently. You may want to try a Carvin AE 185. Similar look but with a neck closer to what you are used to . That plus with the LR Baggs system in the bridge makes this a rather versitile guitar. I just sold my flame Koa and shipped it yesterday.

I did own an origional 72 Thinline with the buckers back in the mid 70's they are cool guitars but the tight board radus and thick profile neck is not for me .
Washburn USA Customs

1994 One off handbuilt prototype for the MG 122,
1995 MG102,MG 120
1996 USA A-30
2007 PRS Custom 24
Washburn LTD 94 accoustic
Amps
2501 MK III Marshall JCM 900 Dual Master
Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt combo
Jet City JCA22H
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #10

alot of good suggestions here. I still think the best one for you is to just sand the one you wants neck down to a feel you enjoy. Most fenders have alot of neck wood they can part with comfortably. If you dont feel comfortable with it discuss it with your local luthier. He probably might even do it for you for a reasonable fee.
Unread 04-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
titletitletitle

I played it some more yesterday & went ahead and put the down payment on it. I'll pick it up sometime after my next paycheck.

Unread 04-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Saweet. My friend's dad has one of those and I played it for a bit and I like that guitar alot. I might just have to barrow it sometimes
Closed Thread