Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #1

Any advice for me?

I'm looking into maybe getting an acoustic guitar. I prefer acoustic-electric over plain acoustic, since it is more versatile with the possibility of plugging it in, in the future. However, I was given advice that I basically could get a better deal quality-wise...by going with a plain acoustic (and having a pickup installed), than getting an acoustic electric. Plain and simple...I'd rather just get an acoustic-electric and get it done with in the same purchase...that just sounds like too much trouble to me. I do realize...that it might sacrifice on the quality some. I'm not looking to spend over about $300-350...with a max of about $400. I'd like to get myself a decent guitar (that would also still be decent when I got better at playing)...but that won't "break the bank" so to speak.

Umm...one more issue. I have trouble playing with the big dreadnaughts (I've owned a really nice acoustic-electric cutaway and got irritated because it was just awkward to play). Just too big and bulky...and the other body styles like "NEX", small jumbo, etc. are just...strange to me. They still seem to be bulky in my opinion...it's just that they push the "bulk" part down to the bottom of the guitar, away from the neck. Same with the small jumbos...and that seems like it would be even more awkward. I think I might be better off with a thinline/thinbody guitar of some type, but I'm concerned about sacrificing sound and tone for that. I've tried to do my research over the time, and I've found that it is hard to find a decent thinline (in the lower ends, apart from the ones that costs over $1,000 and such). Any suggestions on that...and do any of you own a thinline that you like and play? If so, is the sound volume-wise (without being amplified) loud enough?

AcousticPraise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Rather than type out a long-drawn-out response about my various opinions on acoustics and prices and size and electronics and the various sacrifices and compromises related to all of those things, I'll just share this link with you and tell you that it's what I think you want.
It might cost over your budget but you'll not need another acoustic guitar, ever. Imho, naturally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Seagull-S6-F...QQcmdZViewItem

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #3

Thats a nice guitar that GTRdave put up but a little pricy. Heres a link to some sleek acoustics made by kramer that are cheap because theyre direct sellers. These are made to have a sleek ergonomic almost electric feel with comfortable slim necks. http://www.musicyo.com/brandpos.asp?...s=Dreadnoughts
seventoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Can I suggest using a stick pickup? You simply tighten them to the soundhole, and they come with their own cords, which, while they can be annoying as they're hanging down, they are, in my opinion, the best at picking up acoustic guitars.

This way, you could buy a good quality acoustic then get the pickup, without having to pay to get one installed.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer413
Can I suggest using a stick pickup? You simply tighten them to the soundhole, and they come with their own cords, which, while they can be annoying as they're hanging down, they are, in my opinion, the best at picking up acoustic guitars.

This way, you could buy a good quality acoustic then get the pickup, without having to pay to get one installed.
eh...soundhole pickups are ok...but for the most part they're basically low-output single coil pickups. I've got a Fishman Neo-D for my Mitchell. It gets me by, but it's nowhere near the quality of a decent onboard active pickup, at least not in my experience

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #6

I almost bought this one b/c of the body size. I have the 12 string version which rocks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=510216
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #7

Well, I've looked at various body styles. I'd rather have the pickup in it already, though. Sounds like too many cords for me.

A search for thinline guitars on Ebay, doesn't usually bring up very much. Some really cheap guitars..and one or two that may be okay. There is a Takamine EG568C on Ebay. I've had Takamine before and really like it...just was too big of a body style. But...the a/e that I had, had a solid spruce top if I remember correctly. So...that probably added to why I liked it and why it sounded so good.

Maybe I'm pushing it...but is there a thinline/smaller body style with a solid top of some type...that isn't like $1,000?

I looked at your suggestion, gtrdave. I like it...I'm just kind of trying to stay away from the "classical" look. Though...even that Takamine that I listed above has that 'rounded' cutaway with a "classical" type look. Anyone ever played one of those?
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticPraise7
Well, I've looked at various body styles. I'd rather have the pickup in it already, though. Sounds like too many cords for me.

A search for thinline guitars on Ebay, doesn't usually bring up very much. Some really cheap guitars..and one or two that may be okay. There is a Takamine EG568C on Ebay. I've had Takamine before and really like it...just was too big of a body style. But...the a/e that I had, had a solid spruce top if I remember correctly. So...that probably added to why I liked it and why it sounded so good.

Maybe I'm pushing it...but is there a thinline/smaller body style with a solid top of some type...that isn't like $1,000?

I looked at your suggestion, gtrdave. I like it...I'm just kind of trying to stay away from the "classical" look. Though...even that Takamine that I listed above has that 'rounded' cutaway with a "classical" type look. Anyone ever played one of those?
Any slim/thin acoustic will have a seriously compromised acoustic sound.
My Godin A6 is about a slim as an acoustic gets (sort of like a Gibson Chet Atkins) and sounds like a muted banjo when not plugged in.
Plugged in it sounds beautiful thanks to the on-board L.R. Baggs electronics. But using it without an amp is next to pointless. It's got a chambered body and has a solid cedar top but it's not the same league as my Seagull.

The depth of the body of an acoustic (and it's overall construction) is what gives it it's volume and tone. The more cubic area you remove from inside the guitar, the more the volume goes down and tone goes away.

Example: Fender's Stratocoustic and Telecoustic guitars are thin bodies and sound like they're made of plastic. to me. Plugged in they're a little better but nothing to brag about. But their price (sub $300) can make them attractive.
There's other guitars like them but they'll all have a compromised sound.

Beyer413, while soundhole pickups are convenient and cheap, they're hardly the "best" at being an acoustic guitar pickup. To the contrary they're probably the worst of the available options.
An internal (or external) mic is the "best", a transducer is a close second and a soundhole pickup is a very distant third.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
repatch

Me and my dad both have Yamaha FG-335II. They're pretty old but really cheap if you can find 'em on ebay. Great guitar too.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
Any slim/thin acoustic will have a seriously compromised acoustic sound.

The depth of the body of an acoustic (and it's overall construction) is what gives it it's volume and tone. The more cubic area you remove from inside the guitar, the more the volume goes down and tone goes away.
+1. The guitar's depth is the key to the bass/volume. I would just train yourself to become accustomed to the size of an acoustic guitar.You are truly compromising in so many ways by buying a thinline.

Many companies, have OM or OOO model guitars which are designed for the smaller player. They excess especially in fingerstyle to light strumming, but can really be used anywhere. Try these, see if the different body sizes help.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
Many companies, have OM or OOO model guitars which are designed for the smaller player. They excess especially in fingerstyle to light strumming. Try these, see if the different body sizes help.
This is what i was thinking as well. a smaller bodied acoustic like a Taylor Big Baby sacrifices a bit of low end and volume but still has decent tone. When you start talking thinline acoustics, you tend to lose alot more low end and alot more volume.

I don't know how much of the "bigness" is due to the physical size. Have you tried any grand concert or grand auditorium sized acoustics? I've always really liked the size of Taylor x14 acoustics. They're smaller than a full dreadnaught, but don't really sacrifice tone.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #12

I would check out Alvarez guitars. I have an Alvarez accoustic that was around $400-500. It's a decent guitar, it works well for church and the few accoustic sets my band does.
Adam_8287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #13

Okay...

Well, I've decided to give up on the "thinline" thing. I've done enough searching and research now...and logic tells me that if I want a decent sounding guitar (unplugged), then I'd better just learn to get used to a regular guitar thickness-wise.

Okay, I've been looking at various guitars. For instance, I've looked at this Seagull. It's nice...just isn't cutaway. I think I would like it more if it was.

Seems to be a pretty good deal (From what I know, Baggs is apparently an awesome pickup)...I just don't like the case. I'd rather have a thickly padded gig bag (which I'm planning on buying separately)...simply because I've had a hard case and it was too big, heavy and bulky. I'm not planning on taking it out away from home right now, anyway.

I've looked at the Big Baby Taylor (the baby Taylor just looks too small in general...and I'd imagine the sound would be equally smaller). Umm...does the big baby come in a cutaway, by any chance? I'm thinking that it doesn't, but it doesn't hurt anything to ask, either.

My max is $500. I know that I do want an a/e cutaway, for sure. I've been looking at Taylor, Takamine and Seagull. I know that Taylor makes some really nice guitars...and I've had Takamine before, as well. I haven't played a Seagull...but I've read a lot of good stuff about them over the years.

Is there any place where I can learn more about all of the various body styles that these guitars come in? I know there is a regular dreadnought and a cutaway. There is a "parlor" which...seems huge. A small jumbo and a mini jumbo...are these the same thing with two different name references, or are they truly two different body styles? I tried to search for a website that would maybe show some pictures of the different body styles...but didn't find any. Anyone know of one?

Last edited by AcousticPraise7; 04-04-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

no, the parlor is generally the smallest full scale guitar size you can get without going into travel guitars.
names can be tricky. that varies from company to company. so don't think it's a set standard.
takamine's site has descriptions and pictures of their various body names (look under "takamine artistry" then "body styles" at takamine.com), i think seagull has info on that too.
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #15

you could try checking out a washburn d10sce. i just got one, seems nice enough for my untrained ears.
jch3n is offline   Reply With Quote