Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
i'm really glad Squier went with the MIA style saddles instead of the MIM type. i seriously used to cut myself pretty bad on them when I was borrowing an MIM.

of course my playing style has changed so it's not as much a problem with my MIJ

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #32
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
It's these kind of broad-brushed and highly-assumptive statements that I find so interesting.

How do you KNOW that an upgraded MIM will sound "just as good or better" than a stock MIA? Has there been laboratory research done to show this?
Have 4 out of 5 players agreed? Was Consumer Reports involved?
You and I might have differing opinions on the topic (obviously)...whom is "right"?
Need either of us be "right"? They're just opinions, after all...

So why is there always a contest to seemingly dethrone the MIA guitar? And why do some put up such unwillingness to buy the MIA guitar? Oh, because 60% of the price is the "name", I forgot...and because it's the same guitar but this one's made by greedy unionized Americans and the other is made by the struggling underpaid people of Mexico...
Tell the truth Dave - they're not "interesting", they get you frustrated! Just like they get me worked up. Four out of five dentists would agree that Jimi playing with his teeth on a FENDER Strat might not be a good thing for your teeth - that's probably the only consensus you'll get! But, it's ingrained in our minds 'cause it's history.

Face it folks, like it or not, the Fender Strat is an American guitar icon - the epitome of rock guitar (also used in country, jazz, jazz-fusion, metal, pop, disco, oldies, surf, big band, southern rock, reggae, punk, grunge), the most imitated electric guitar in modern history, the one that even non-guitarists recognize, the one that has garnered the highest price in an open auction, the one played by a dizzying list of guitar legends, the guitar that started this thing called rock n' roll. It is history in your hands. Is it the best? Some may argue so, but I say history will be the judge.

Is it versatile? You bet. You can get it with or without a tremolo; single coils or humbuckers or a combination; with locking or non-locking tuners; maple, rosewood or ebony fretboards; vintage, noiseless or modern pickups; ash, mahogany, alder, basswood, agathis, epoxy, aluminum bodies; 12 string models; lefty?; wanna play what Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, SRV, Mark Knopfler, etc. plays? Did you break your neck? No problem, you can get a replacement from a multitude of places and just bolt it on in most cases. Want to replace your body? Same thing. Want to swap out pickups and electronics? The choices in the after market are amazing.

Is it expensive and over priced? Maybe, but attribute that to its popularity and the market. You have the option to buy an American, custom shop, artist model, CIJ, MIM, Squier - new or used, so anyone can buy one. To me, it's overpriced only if you can't afford it. But that would be a limitation for any guitar brand you get.

Having said all that, I'm not trying to build a "golden calf" to bow down to. Are there better guitars around? I'm sure Tom Anderson, Don Grosh, Suhr, Gerard Melancon, Zion and others might build a better one, but it's going to cost a bit more. I'm saying, the Fender American is a pretty good guitar and it would get my money.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #33
DoubleK_KrN

What's wrong with the Tremelo on the MIM's? I just went down to Gilbert Guitars today and i tried a MIM strat...I guess it sounded okay? lol. But, I didn't get around to playing the US made, so...I can't really compare...

and about not getting the same feeling of a MIA with a MIM could be changed by buying a new neck and installing it, right?

Equipement
-Epiphone LP
-40W Traynor Amp
-Crybaby Wah Pedal (I don't own)

Wishlist --> PRS
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
Quality mostly. USA strats have alder wood. Mexican strats have poplar wood. I don't really know about the Korean and Chinese copies. The pickups are different, hardware, and pretty much everything. The build quality is also another important thing.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #35
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK
What's wrong with the Tremelo on the MIM's? I just went down to Gilbert Guitars today and i tried a MIM strat...I guess it sounded okay? lol. But, I didn't get around to playing the US made, so...I can't really compare...

and about not getting the same feeling of a MIA with a MIM could be changed by buying a new neck and installing it, right?
Nothing's wrong with the MIM tremolo. It's a good effective design. Overall, though, the MIA 2-point synch trems are a lot smoother and have a lot better "floating" action, IMO. I personally like the MIA trems better.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #36
DoubleK_KrN

But...Doesn't MIM's have floating bridges aswell? , I asked the guy working at the store if it was a floating bridge, and he said that it wasn't because they'd have to tune it each time the floating bridge was used.

What about those headlocks? or stocklocks, or whatever they're called. Cause I'm into doing like, crazy whammy bar stunts and if i don't have that lock...well....my guitar would need tuning every few minutes

Hmmm...I read the specs of an MIM and it seems as though it has Alder wood as the wood for the body

Equipement
-Epiphone LP
-40W Traynor Amp
-Crybaby Wah Pedal (I don't own)

Wishlist --> PRS
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #37
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
MIMs do have floating bridges. My comment referrred to how I think that MIAs can have more "floatiness", meaning that more or less, the bridge can go higher off the body. If an MIM trem detunes whenver used, it's probably just not a well set-up guitar, that is within reason, of course it'll detune if you're trying too much insanity on the trem.

The locking nuts are on Floyd Rose trem guitars, classic Fender trems aren't good for crazy whammy stunts. FRs are much better for such action, as the string is locked at both the bridge and nut, so tuning is locked and stablilized.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #38
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK

In my experience, "trying out" a guitar is far from the experience of "owning" a guitar and getting to know it. As for the neck, how much do you think a MIA neck will cost? And, what about the differences in parts mentioned by Steve and myself. The guitar is also the sum of its parts. Oh, and don't forget the cost of the case.

Check this guy out:
Unread 03-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspg70
Quality mostly. USA strats have alder wood. Mexican strats have poplar wood. I don't really know about the Korean and Chinese copies. The pickups are different, hardware, and pretty much everything. The build quality is also another important thing.
MIM's are now made with Alder...they haven't been made from poplar for a couple years now.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #40
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Okay... Strat help time... So a MIM with some Duncans is as good as a MIA? I'm confused now... People were telling me a while back that MIA is the best choice, but then you say that MIM with Duncans is better? I'm very confused

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #41
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek
Okay... Strat help time... So a MIM with some Duncans is as good as a MIA? I'm confused now... People were telling me a while back that MIA is the best choice, but then you say that MIM with Duncans is better? I'm very confused
Better...better...what is "better"?

For me and in my experience, a MIA Fender Stratocaster is "better" than any other that I've ever played. The resonance of the body wood, the cut and feel of the neck, the fret wire and fret work, the electronics, the tuners, the bridge/vibrato, the tilt-adjust neck pocket...shall I go on?

So for me you can't just slap some Duncan's in a MIM and make me think it's "better" because in my experience of doing that very thing on several guitars, it has NOT been better.
It has made a "better" MIM than it was stock but that's it.

Also, something that I don't think has been mentioned yet but that could make a difference in the long haul is value retention and return of investment over time.
I don't mean from the position of selling the guitar in the future and getting more or less for it because of where it was made (although that could be a viable issue to consider) but from the position of spending a bit more at the time of purchase with the knowledge that you're going to get a higher quality instrument overall that may (and in my experience WILL) require less maintenance, upgrades and parts replacement and will be an instrument that you can grow into and still appreciate 20+ years from now...and possibly it will be appreciated more.

Such is the case with my Gibson Les Paul Standard. Even after 24 years it feels, sounds and plays like a well-built solid axe and I do appreciate it more now than when I got it new in '82.

Not that a MIM Fender won't still be a good guitar in 20 years. Time hasn't yet shown that because they have not been made for 20 years. We'll have to wait another 10 or so to see...and maybe more since the earliest examples of MIM Fenders that I played were downright awful guitars...I've played low-end Squiers that were "better"...those MIM Fenders benefit HIGHLY from a neck change.
'nuff said on that.

All this talk about Fenders and such and I have to interject my opinion on what's "better": go find a used ESP Vintage Plus strat-copy. They are, imho, the "BEST" strat-style guitar for the money...ain't no "better" about it.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #42
Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
If everything was subjective opinion, this forum wouldn't exist.
You've got that totally backwards. Since there is so much subjective opinion this forum exists. If everything was proven, factual, objective, measureable, and undisputable, THEN this forum wouldn't exist.
Unread 03-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #43
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
I think what some folks were trying to say is that a MIM with Duncans would probably sound better than a standard MIA with stock pickups. For that matter, a $99 strat copy with Duncans might sound better than a standard MIA with stock pickups. Put duncans on the MIA and it will probably sound better than the MIM. Sound isn't everything though. The MIA is of a distinct higher quality build than the MIM and is the better player over all.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #44
Banned

Having owned American Deluxes (current), American Standards (current), MIM's, MIJ's and Squiers, I'm going to have to go with the opinion that an American Standard is definitely worth the money over a modded MIM.

Now, that being said, I would be very inclined to buy an MIM and hotrod it for a gigging guitar because getting an American Deluxe banged around at a club would be be bad.
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #45
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Don't be confused. "Better" is always subjective, including whether or not Duncans are "better". The MIA would be my choice, based on my ownership experience, whereas, the MIM with Duncans might be the choice of those who don't have a MIA or can't afford one. It's your perspective. With due respect to everyone, my 50th Anniversary Strat IS my player. I'll repeat, I just love the neck on that Strat and the overall sum of its parts. You can't just say Duncans are the solution for any guitar - it's a lot more than that, including the skill of the player.

Check this guy out: