Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #1

My Upgrade Thread

Okay, this will be the Pacifica Upgrade thread. I have some updates on the Pacifica project. I took the pickguard apart today, took out the pickups, selector switch, but am having trouble getting the pots out. The knobs will not come off. Suggestions?

One question: On the tone pot there is a capacitor hooked on the bottom of the pot and on one of the little external metal pieces. On the capacitor, it has the number: 2A473J. Any ideas what it's for?

Uploading pics in a second.

Unread 02-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #2

Here are two more. I'm ordering all parts this week. Any suggestions on where to get them? I'm needing the following:

Shielding/Wire
Pots/Knobs
Pickguard (done)
Pickups (done)
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Sarcasm? What's that?

getting the nobs off depends on the nobs, some have set screws that need to be loosed to take them off, others are friction fit, wrap a couple layers of masking tape around a straightslot screwdriver and GENTLY try prying them off, doing you best to pry straight, i find using 2 screwdrivers, on on either side of the post, works best.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #4

Hey, thanks. The screwdriver method worked.
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Sarcasm? What's that?

i know carvin sells the parts you're looking for, but i'm sure there probably a better place out there.

Unread 02-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #6

I don't need to spend $40 on a pickguard... I can make one myself!

#1: Getting ready to trace the pickguard on heavy duty cardboard.
#2: Traced!
#3: On the guitar.
#4: One pickup cut out.
#5: The screw holes fit!

Last edited by Ryan Freeland; 02-25-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Ryan Freeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com
that's who i like to buy supplies from.

wait, you're using a piece of heavy duty cardboard for the pickguard? or that's just the model you're using to begin with and then will transfer it to plastic?
you can get plain white sheets of plastic for pickguards from stewmac.com for about $10 i think. it's more for the fancier materials.
what are you using to cut? it looks like you're doing a good job with it so far.
Unread 02-26-2006, 12:30 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob...(this is the part where someone else explains why)

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob...(this is the part where someone else explains why)
it makes it a simple low-pass filter, it's wired in parrelel with the resistor. if someone wants i can go into greater detail, including formulas, but you basically pass high or lows based of of whether you take the voltage from across the cap or the resistor. (in this can a variable pot.)

Unread 02-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
http://www.guitarelectronics.com
that's who i like to buy supplies from.

wait, you're using a piece of heavy duty cardboard for the pickguard? or that's just the model you're using to begin with and then will transfer it to plastic?
you can get plain white sheets of plastic for pickguards from stewmac.com for about $10 i think. it's more for the fancier materials.
what are you using to cut? it looks like you're doing a good job with it so far.
I was really thinking of doing it but i realized it would only hold up for about a week. A have a dremel tool with a good amount of attachments. Would that possibly work? I was either thinking of making a wood one or the plastic that's in normal pickguards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob
Okay that's what I thought. If it wasn't there it's pretty much be a volume control.
Unread 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #11

Okay I did a bunch of measuring and found that the pickups can be 2.275cm apart from each other with a HSH setup. I've decided to keep one of my single coils to use in the new setup, because they are pretty good IMO. I'm in the process of making a final cardboard template with correct measurements and pencil lines on it as needed. Pics are coming.
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
gg7

yes, a dremel tool will work. in fact that is exactly what i used to modify the pickguard that is on my custom guitar, as well as route the hole for the pickup. now i'll admit, the hole i routed for the pickup isn't perfect, but it's definitely close enough. i found it best to take it slow. i rough cut it out being sure to make the hole smaller than needed and then just gradually brought it up. towards the very end i just used sandpaper by hand (same thing on the other pickguard cuts).

i used the cutting bit that basically looks like a drill bit to do the major cutting. some of the sanding drums also work great for some shaping. although the coarse ones can take off a lot of material if you're not careful. that's what i use to round and soften edges when needed.
also, try and practice some before you do the real thing. i was fortunate enough to have around some spare material to do some practicing on, that helps.

i am convinced the dremel rotary tool is one of the greatest inventions ever.
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
yes, a dremel tool will work. in fact that is exactly what i used to modify the pickguard that is on my custom guitar, as well as route the hole for the pickup. now i'll admit, the hole i routed for the pickup isn't perfect, but it's definitely close enough. i found it best to take it slow. i rough cut it out being sure to make the hole smaller than needed and then just gradually brought it up. towards the very end i just used sandpaper by hand (same thing on the other pickguard cuts).

i used the cutting bit that basically looks like a drill bit to do the major cutting. some of the sanding drums also work great for some shaping. although the coarse ones can take off a lot of material if you're not careful. that's what i use to round and soften edges when needed.
also, try and practice some before you do the real thing. i was fortunate enough to have around some spare material to do some practicing on, that helps.

Did you try to bevel the edges? On my Dremel, I have a router attachment which might be a help. I also thought that sanding would be good for smoothing it out. I sent an email to my Grandfather, who is the ultimate hobbiest/woodworker/painter/builder if the Dremel would be a good idea. I may even possibly send the material to him so that he can cut it with his table router, but we'll see. In the meantime, I have a few more pics.

Last edited by Ryan Freeland; 02-26-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Ryan Freeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
gg7

my custom pickguard started out as a strat guard. so, i only had to cut it in a couple of spots to get it to it's current shape. the biggest cut was for the lower bout.
i did bevel it. i used one of the small round sanding drums on the dremel and then finished up by hand with sandpaper.
if i were just using a plain white all the way through piece of material (which you can get) i don't think i'd bother with bevelling at all.
the only reason i did it is purely cosmetic. my pickguard material is white/black/white so the bevel shows off the different shades.

cool, maybe your grandfather will have some good ideas for you.

just to be clear, i'm in no way saying my way of doing these things is the best way. it's just the best way for me with what resources i have. it works.

as an edit: i want to really emphasize something. if you do end up using the little sanding drums and especially at a high speed be very careful. if you've seen my truss rod cover i cut out for my guitar, the curves in that cover were done with one of the sanding drums on and on a high speed and it didn't take long. so, practicing on some scrap material is ideal. that and plenty of patience. i didn't actually bother with bevelling my truss cover or jack holder that i cut out though.

Last edited by gg7; 02-26-2006 at 05:05 PM.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
it is. with the right bits you can do almost anything.