Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #76

Alright, I've "routed" one of those little things. It obvisouly isn't as clean as it would be with a router. I drilled holes to a certain depth, then dremeled the rest out. Pics forthcoming.

Unread 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #77
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Alright, I've "routed" one of those little things. It obvisouly isn't as clean as it would be with a router. I drilled holes to a certain depth, then dremeled the rest out. Pics forthcoming.
Just make sure the pickup mounting ring or pickguard covers it and all should be good.

My guitar has some of the most heinous pickup cavities ever. Then again, it doesn't matter when its all covered up.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
Just make sure the pickup mounting ring or pickguard covers it and all should be good.

My guitar has some of the most heinous pickup cavities ever. Then again, it doesn't matter when its all covered up.
Yep, pickguard covers it all. I'm almost done with the second one.
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #79

Done! Picture time!

1. Neck joint. Kinda rough.
2. All done!
3. Halfway through.
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #80
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Done! Picture time!

1. Neck joint. Kinda rough.
2. All done!
3. Halfway through.
Are you going to fill in the chip in the neck joint?

My Life.
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #81

I thought about it. Not today, but possibly before the project is done. What material would I use to fill it with?
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #82
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I thought about it. Not today, but possibly before the project is done. What material would I use to fill it with?
That I am not perfectly sure about, but here is what I do know. Neck joints are related to the sustain, so more contact between neck and body will equal more sustain. On my neck pocket on the guitar I built, the neck pocket is filled from a router incident with baked glue and wood chips. I can't reccomend anyone else using that looney of a method, but it actually worked fine... But whatever you use needs to not compress and dry quite hard for maximum sustain.

My Life.
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
That I am not perfectly sure about, but here is what I do know. Neck joints are related to the sustain, so more contact between neck and body will equal more sustain. On my neck pocket on the guitar I built, the neck pocket is filled from a router incident with baked glue and wood chips. I can't reccomend anyone else using that looney of a method, but it actually worked fine... But whatever you use needs to not compress and dry quite hard for maximum sustain.
I'll look into it. As far as I know, the neck joint is pretty tight already. I can't fit a piece of paper into any parts of the joint with the neck on.
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #84
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'll look into it. As far as I know, the neck joint is pretty tight already. I can't fit a piece of paper into any parts of the joint with the neck on.
the chip from the picture does not look like it would make contact... (A picture might not be totally accurate, but having all of the joint touching will improve sustain. Oh well, my next guitar I make will not have this issue. I am going neckthrough.

My Life.
Unread 04-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #85
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

it ain't pretty but it'll work

i'm with bill, it just doesn't matter to me either when it's covered up. although, i have ran across guitarists who want what is under the pickguard to be all clean and pretty too.
Unread 04-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
it ain't pretty but it'll work

i'm with bill, it just doesn't matter to me either when it's covered up. although, i have ran across guitarists who want what is under the pickguard to be all clean and pretty too.
I tried. As you can see, one the right hole, I drilled to far (leaving that mark). I also had to deal with another problem.

See on that one picture, on the upper left rim of the cavity? I accidently cut into that because of the Dremel's chuck (the piece that holds the bit) was grinding against the edge. So, I had to come into the edge at an angle which made it un-pretty. Also, it was totally unguided - free hand.

gg7, maybe Mr. would like to stop by my house.
Unread 04-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #87
gg7

Quote:
I tried. As you can see, one the right hole, I drilled to far (leaving that mark). I also had to deal with another problem.

See on that one picture, on the upper left rim of the cavity? I accidently cut into that because of the Dremel's chuck (the piece that holds the bit) was grinding against the edge. So, I had to come into the edge at an angle which made it un-pretty. Also, it was totally unguided - free hand.

gg7, maybe Mr. would like to stop by my house.
no one will know about all that except the people reading this though. free hand dremel is a little scary yet exciting, heh. that's the only way i've ever used the dremel. i have had the chuck make a mark or three too. nothing that could be seen or couldn't be fixed though.

ha, i'm sure he would. there is one thing about that i'm not sure if you've thought of. you will need to refinish the part you modify if you go through with it. so you'd need to buy some kind of finish. hopefully something that would blend in with the old finish alright.
Unread 04-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
no one will know about all that except the people reading this though. free hand dremel is a little scary yet exciting, heh. that's the only way i've ever used the dremel. i have had the chuck make a mark or three too. nothing that could be seen or couldn't be fixed though.

ha, i'm sure he would. there is one thing about that i'm not sure if you've thought of. you will need to refinish the part you modify if you go through with it. so you'd need to buy some kind of finish. hopefully something that would blend in with the old finish alright.
I'm thinking it's just a clear, non-gloss finish.
Unread 04-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #89

Stewmac stuff has been ordered!

1 Strat Style Single Coil Pickup Cover - Black $2.09
2 Dome Knob - Chrome, 6mm shaft $7.04
1 Black Pickguard Material - 0.090" x 12" x 20" $12.65
1 Humbucker Pickup Height Springs - 13/16" length, package of 8 $3.52
1 Self-adhesive Shielding Kit $13.75
1 Switchcraft Output Jack - Mono $2.99
2 Standard Control Pots - 500K-ohm $5.46

Shipping $8.25

Your order total $55.75

I'm getting a JB on ebay in the next day or so.
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #90
gg7

cool. stewmac is fast so you should be able to get going on all of this really soon. i see you finally decided on black for your pickguard.