Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
if you read the description then why did you ask the question?
What I was pretty much asking is, "has anyone used this or had experience of it working well?"

Unread 02-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
What I was pretty much asking is, "has anyone used this or had experience of it working well?"
ah...this was a bit unclear
here's some instructions for shielding

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

basically that will also tell you everything you need

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Would this work? I don't really need a kit since I have wires and such.
Yes, but I'm sure you know that it has to have a good electrical connection to the guitar's ground to be effective as a shield. So if you wrap it around the coil of a single coil pickup, you have to solder a ground wire to it. You would also need to do the top and bottom of said pickup to be complete; it needs to be pretty well completely surrounded - not the magnet tops though.... You can solder a wire to the copper tape, that's why its used I guess, as opposed to aluminum. You can use heavy duty aluminum foil too, but you can't solder to it. Spray it with some spray adhesive to stick it on. I have used it for things like the inside of contol cavity covers and the underneath of strat type pickguards, where being physically held against a grounded device - pots, switches, other shielding...provides the electrical connection.
Unread 02-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #34
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i have used that very shielding from stewmac.com that you linked to. yes, it works very well. i like the simplicity since you just pull the back off and it sticks in place.
the only thing i didn't like was you can get some serious cuts on your fingers with that stuff. if you think a paper cut is bad you should feel what this stuff can do
Unread 02-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #35

Quote:
I would strongly, strongly recommend you read and thoroughly digest Johnny A's Quieting The Beast Mod from GuitarNuts.com.

Seriously, that's the key to shielding any guitar. Don't think that slapping some copper paint or tape in there is going to do it. There's a lot more to it than that. The cool thing is that John shows you how everything is done.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I would strongly, strongly recommend you read and thoroughly digest Johnny A's Quieting The Beast Mod from GuitarNuts.com.

Seriously, that's the key to shielding any guitar. Don't think that slapping some copper paint or tape in there is going to do it. There's a lot more to it than that. The cool thing is that John shows you how everything is done.

Chesh
i totally already posted that link...huzzah! when i open up my MIJ Strat i'll probably end up doing that little mod to it too.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
i totally already posted that link...huzzah! when i open up my MIJ Strat i'll probably end up doing that little mod to it too.
Oh yeah.

It's late and I'm tired.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #38
Sarcasm? What's that?

if aluminium tape will work instead of copper tape, just run out to the local hardware store and buy some! it's used to seal ductwork. (yes, duct tape is not used in duct work.)

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #39
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by What5647
if aluminium tape will work instead of copper tape, just run out to the local hardware store and buy some! it's used to seal ductwork. (yes, duct tape is not used in duct work.)
If you had read the link... you would know not do this.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #40
Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
If you had read the link... you would know not do this.
i haven't had a chance yet.

Unread 02-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #41
Sarcasm? What's that?

alright, now i've read the article. i might do that mod, i get terrible noise from my guitar, and i know it's not the amp, when i turn the guitar volume down the hum dies.

Unread 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #42

Update: I bid on a pair of pickups last night, not thinking anyone else would bid on them. So when I got home this afternoon, someone bid on them and the auction had closed. I'm mad at myself. Probably another week or more the electric gets put back together.... + I haven't worked out the pickguard issue either.

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #43

Ordering some pickguard material tomorrow. Either white or pearl. What do you guys think? (with black pickups)

Time to get the Dremel out too. What I'm planning on doing is drawing the design on the material, then cutting it out but leaving about 1/8in extra on the whole thing. Then I'll sand all the sides down with the Dremel, then hand sand it. Then make some countersink screw holes, and done. Sound like a plan? gg7?
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #44
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Ordering some pickguard material tomorrow. Either white or pearl. What do you guys think? (with black pickups)

Time to get the Dremel out too. What I'm planning on doing is drawing the design on the material, then cutting it out but leaving about 1/8in extra on the whole thing. Then I'll sand all the sides down with the Dremel, then hand sand it. Then make some countersink screw holes, and done. Sound like a plan? gg7?

pearl white will probably forever be my favorite. white is just fine though. you'll have to make that call.

sounds like a good plan to me. ..believe it or not, the countersinking is the most tricky thing for me out of all that you mentioned. unless you have access to a drill press or something else that will physically stop you from going too deep i'd recommend you do that part first before finishing up the sides. just think if you got it all cut out and just how you wanted around the sides, and then goofed up some of the countersinking. all i have for that is a hand drill and no really good way to set depth. i'll admit i don't always countersink. when i do i just turn the drill by hand very carefully.

i look forward to seeing your completed project!
Unread 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #45

Okay here's the bill of materials. If you know a place where they can be found for cheaper, please tell me before I order this evening. These prices and links are all to Stewmac.com:

StewMac
------------------------
2 Pots = $05.46
Pickguard Material = $13.35
Shielding Kit = $13.75
Knobs = $07.04
Pickup Cover = $02.09
------------------------

GFS/Ebay
------------------------
Pickups = $60.00
------------------------