Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #1

Question New at singing, a little critique please

Hi! New here!

I'd like to ask you a very delicate question, and I ask it here simply because you seem like really genuine and, in short, great people.

So, here it goes:

What do you think of my singing? In my opinion it is not that great, it's both pitchy and the tone is sort of nasal at times, but first of all I can't judge with an "objective" perspective since it's hard to judge oneself, and secondly I don't know exactly how to improve.

After doing this little recording in my bedroom today I don't feel quite satisfied with the vocals, so I'm considering getting a coach, might be fun! But still, I'd like to know some specifics on what is good and what is bad with my voice.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering why I want to sing it's because of the same reason I started to play guitar. Not because I want to express myself or anything, but simply because I want to create beautiful sounds that I can listen to and really enjoy myself.

Oh, and the relevant facts of course:
Male, 16, Sweden (hence the hurly burly pronounciation )

EDIT: Something is "plopping" on the track, donnu why but it came after the upload. Seems like it is one of the drums going crazy, but the singing comes through anyway, so please ignore it

Last edited by ImAmonkey; 02-25-2006 at 05:50 AM.
ImAmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Banned

Hello, and welcome to CGR

I think your voice sounds great. What aspect of your voice is it that you are unhappy with? You're on key the whole time, your vibrato sounds good; I honestly don't hear anything I would want to change.

See you around
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Yeah, your voice sounds fine, there might've been ONCE you went slightly flat. But really, this track is very good. Perhaps if you want to change your vocal style, pick a vocalist you really like and would like to emulate and listen to them on end. This may sound weird, but right now I'm changing my technique a little just listening to Chris Cornell (the softer songs of course, where he has all those soulful vocals) and I feel like I've changed, even improved myself a little bit.

Honestly though, you're quite decent Not much to change at all.

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Banned

I'd try only to sound like myself if I were you. Actually, if I were anyone. The fact of the matter is, if you try to copy someone else's voice, that takes away the originality of your own voice. You don't want people to hear you and say "Hey- he sounds like "so-and-so". You want people to hear your voice and recognize it.
Unread 02-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #5

Hmm, it's great to hear what you're saying because maybe I'm just a little bit too hard on myself.

There's one specific I can think of that is really bugging though, and that's that there's a specific note during the verse that I make sound really nasal, even though I try to sing with support and everything. Could this mean that it is just out of my range? And if so should I be able to make it sound better simply by singing it over and over?

I suppose I personally would enjoy my voice more if it sounded like someone else's, but that ain't gonna happen other than through some really expensive laboratory in the future.
ImAmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Banned

If you have to strain to hit a note, you should know because your voice will be uncomfortable and it will be difficult to sustain. If your voice is comfortable hitting the note and you just don't like the sound you are producing, try doing warm ups, and focus on making that part of your voice sound like the rest. The more you use it (if you're not straining) the more it will sound like the rest of your voice.
Unread 02-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinguprawks
I'd try only to sound like myself if I were you. Actually, if I were anyone. The fact of the matter is, if you try to copy someone else's voice, that takes away the originality of your own voice. You don't want people to hear you and say "Hey- he sounds like "so-and-so". You want people to hear your voice and recognize it.
Well, I didn't really mean sound like someone else...I meant that I incorporate other vocal styles into my own to enhance and develop new technique, in the same way that guitarists have different influences from other musicians which combine to create their technique.

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Banned

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I've said it myself, but now I only partially agree with it. It's good to like your own voice, and a good way to make sure that you do is to blend other qualities of other vocalists into your voice. But doing this too much destroys originality. So, to a certain extent, I agree.