Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
I so hate consequences.

Send a message via AIM to Guitar_Freak14 Send a message via MSN to Guitar_Freak14
Am I Good?

I recorded this about a month ago and there are some mess ups but thats just because we didn't have very much time to recorded so we were in a little rush. there are two songs one is the Enter the Worship Circle Song "I will not Forget you" the other one is "Boulavard a of broken dreams" by Greenday. Just tell me what you think and be honest please.

but right now I just don't like you

By Relient k

I so hate consequences!
Running from you is what my best defense is.
I hate these consequences!
cause I know that I let you down
And I don't want to deal with that.

By Relient k
Guitar_Freak14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to JBanana Send a message via Yahoo to JBanana
The link won't work for me .
Unread 10-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
...distant but devoted

Not bad, not bad. But, you might keep a little closer track of your pitch on both of 'em, especially when you go high or low. Also, it doesn't sound like you're putting much behind your voice. Not saying that you should really push it, but sometimes it just seems kinda...dull. Ya know what I mean?

Anyways, you are pretty good overall. Like I said, watch your pitch. Your voice could use just a little polishing, but you're definitely not a bad singer. So, practice, practice, practice.

-Sazzy
Unread 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBanana
The link won't work for me .
It should be working. Are you right clicking and "saving as"?

You have good tonal quality. I agree with Jason- the only thing I'd work on would be pitch. You can sing on key, but by concentrating a little harder on staying perfectly on key, you will soon get used to being perfectly on key without even thinking about it. Good job, and keep practicing

Edit: oh yeah, in agreement with Jason again, try making your voice fuller, and with more energy.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Derek Ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinguprawks
It should be working. Are you right clicking and "saving as"?

You have good tonal quality. I agree with Jason- the only thing I'd work on would be pitch. You can sing on key, but by concentrating a little harder on staying perfectly on key, you will soon get used to being perfectly on key without even thinking about it. Good job, and keep practicing

Edit: oh yeah, in agreement with Jason again, try making your voice fuller, and with more energy.

hey fallingup. i think i have this same exact problem. however, when i try to make it fuller and more energy-filled, i just get a little louder and it still sounds monotone and boring. what exactly do you do?
robOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
I so hate consequences.

Send a message via AIM to Guitar_Freak14 Send a message via MSN to Guitar_Freak14
Yea, I've noticed that I've been working harder on that. I should have some new tracks up soon. but thanks for the feedback.

By Relient k

I so hate consequences!

By Relient k
Unread 10-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Israeli Dude

I agree with what was said above. You need to work on your pitch. Try to concentrate on it while singing. Every time you don't hit the desired pitch, mentally note it for yourself, and try to avoid it next time. If you keep doing this, you'll have perfect pitch on your singing in just about no time.
Also, recording yourself, even on the cheapest computer microphone, helps. This way you can hear yourself as if you're a listener, and know where you should improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robOy
hey fallingup. i think i have this same exact problem. however, when i try to make it fuller and more energy-filled, i just get a little louder and it still sounds monotone and boring. what exactly do you do?

Singing, just like anything else, comes with practice. Sing everywhere and try to do daily warm ups. Also consider some little things that help.
First of all, sing with emotion. Try not just to sing, but to try and deliver a message through your volume and tone of voice.
Know when to sing softly and airy, but also know when to sing with a deep, full and loud voice. Control the dynamics of the song.
And remember to always feel comfortable while singing. Don't be ashamed to sing the song in a lower key, and never hesitate to sing it higher, if it makes it fit your range better.
Xakep_INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robOy
I'd say to use better diction and make your voice "brighter", if you know what I mean. Try singing along with someone with a bright voice, like Jessy Rigbordy (Falling Up) or Matt Theisen (Relient K). Also, singing diaphragmatically helps. Be sure to use your throat only to control tone; don't push air out by forcing your throat. Practice laying on the floor, become completely relaxed, and breathe deeply as though there were an inner tube around you that you were filling with air. Your shoulders should not rise, except right at the end when your diaphragm is completely full. Then slowly exhale, not pushing, but just letting the air come out at a comfortable speed. Once you have learned to breathe like this, take a deep breath as I instructed above, then hit a note that is in a comfortable part of your range. Make sure it is full and has power behind it, yet is also soft. The better you are at breating diaphragmatically, the longer you will be able to hold the note. It takes a lot of practice and getting used to, but if you practice it like that a lot and try to sing like that while normally singing, it will become a good habit and you won't even have to think about it.

-Jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #9

you sound pretty good but a bit flat sometimes...

but just wondering what equipment and software are you using?
hitormiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
I so hate consequences.

I used my friends and he did everything so I don't really know what equitment it was.

By Relient k

I so hate consequences!

By Relient k
Unread 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #11

Hey there,

I just downloaded both of them and listened to them and they are great, fair enough as raw as they could get but sweet as. Am listening to them again, you have a certain style be careful not to loose who you are and become so called main stream, your diction is you only you can decide if it needs to change to suit the purists, I say "this" like "Vis" in bob marleys "Is this love" but thats me. Also song choice is key, and christian music is so full of joy and life and artists like Guy Penrod have captured it and made it possible to covey to us all, you too have this gift. Another thing is you can make any song your own feel it, project it, if the song doesent make you feel good then chances are its not going to do anything for us either. Also if you put up another song which I hope you do try have all the vocal elements init from soft to hard high to low, expression, warmth, excitement, there is so much more to sweet vocals then words and good breathing. mix it up re do broken dreams again but feel it add your own flare toit right now it stock as but I know you can do so much more with it as I am sure you could with any song. Remixes are all about other people interpretation Stand By Me done by 4 the cause is perfect example. Has feel and this being a christian channel feel and touching people with your voice is a gift that needs to be shared.
Please continue to develop and find your sweet spot and then excel.

Take care and thankyou for the two songs much appreciated.

Regards,
Gary Str8up
GaryStr8up is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Bethany_D_Rocks Send a message via MSN to Bethany_D_Rocks
HEy its Guitar_Freak14 I had to get a new login long story. Well thank you to everyone for the advice and good jobs here are some new songs that I wrote and and sang a few days ago I recorded in my room and I was a little sick so bare with me. It's not working on this compter so later today I will go to the otherone and upload them.
Bethany_D_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
The songs sound pretty decent; it's great that you can synchronize your playing and your guitar. Now, I'm going to be a bit critical, but trust me; your voice is good, but you're just not using it the best way that you could be!

One thing you need is a bit more breath support. You've got nice volume, but sometimes your tone is a little thin. Try to sing from your diaphragm; as for just what this means, let's take an excerpt from this website (http://voicestudio.kristinaseleshank...rQuestions.htm)

Quote:
What does "support" mean and how can I do it? When someone says you're singing "with support," they mean you're using your diaphragm properly. Singing with support is the most natural thing in the world. Watch a newborn baby cry loudly; you'll see their diaphragm visibly move. Babies can cry loudly without hurting their voices because they do so without undue tension and with good support.

There's really no such thing as a "weak" diaphragm. If you weren't using your diaphragm, you'd be dead, because you wouldn't be breathing. However, sometimes singers have what I call a "lazy" diaphragm; that is, they tend to be lazy about their support. Your singing teacher can you give tips and exercises for a "lazy" diagraph, but here are a few to get you started.

Shout "Ha!" as if you had to be heard across a football field. You should feel your diaphragm move, and will probably be able to see if move, if you watch yourself in a mirror. Do staccato singing exercises, being sure that you're not singing with undue tension in your throat, but are truly using your diaphragm to create that short, staccato sound. Place a fist against your diaphragm and push in a little.

Lie down on your back and put a heavy object on your diaphragm. A large, fat dictionary works well, as does a small toddler. Sing this way, and you should notice your diaphragm moving.

Sing while lifting a fairly heavy object. A piano bench with music books in it works well.

Do not push your diaphragm in and out methodically; this will not create "support."
^The singing exercises are highly suggested above. In fact, any choir exercises are suggested (except for things like shaping vowels, which doesn't have the same place in popular music as it does in choir). I know that diaphragm isn't necessarily the only thing that controls tone, but once you've got good support things like tone are going to come soon after.

One additional thing: you tend to be a little flat, especially when you're doing trills or ornaments (like at the end of a phrase, you lilt your voice and change the pitch back and forth, up down and around) or when you come to the top of a phrase (ok not sure this is going to make much sense, giving it my best shot). If you can, play through the song note by note with either piano (if you've got a friend) or guitar, just to make sure you're staying on pitch.

Other than that, best of luck And really, this is actually a fairly decent recording. I can't stand listening to myself on computer, but I've got a strong feeling this is just because of the crappy Legocam I'm recording out of

~Jen

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to jengoesup
Oh one more thing...on boulevard of broken dreams, try not to push that opening low note too much. Actually, what do you do in this situation? Does anyone have any suggestions? Because personally I've run into this problem (not very often though, since I'm an alto). I guess just PM me if you have an idea, if you don't want to distract the purpose of this thread.

jengoesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Bethany_D_Rocks Send a message via MSN to Bethany_D_Rocks
Here's somthing that I jsut recorded. It's Perfectly Done by Shawn Mcdoanld.
Bethany_D_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote