Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #61
Pearl plays her guitar

There's hardly a day that goes by where I don't find someone I've never heard before who just blows my mind. So many of the ones mentioned previously are good, but very one dimensional. That's why I agree with Shred that the best player is probably some guy sweating in the studio laying down the licks that are the most memorable licks in music history. Here's another thing to think about too. All the guys today have their inspirations from the past. I've yet to hear anybody today play as varied a palette of music as the late, great Chet Atkins.

Check this guy out:
http://www.dougdoppler.com/
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
All the guys today have their inspirations from the past. I've yet to hear anybody today play as varied a palette of music as the late, great Chet Atkins.
I said this the last time the "greatest guitarist" thread came up.

A few years ago, a guitar magazine ran a "greatest" list. Instead of naming an individual greatest, or a top 10/20/40/100, they divided guitarists into periods and styles. They had one called "the proto-guitarists" or "the progenitors" or something like that and included Merle Travis, Les Paul and Chet Atikins. They had "classical" for guys like Montoya and Segovia...this way, there isn't really a "best" or a "greatest"...all of the big players were put into there style or period and described, but not enumerated.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #63

mAtThEw tHiSsen iS lIkE tEh BesTest GuitArist iN teh WeRlD11111111!!!!!!!!!111111!!!1!11!
Unread 04-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #64
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatdirt
mAtThEw tHiSsen iS lIkE tEh BesTest GuitArist iN teh WeRlD11111111!!!!!!!!!111111!!!1!11!
Not for us older folks. I have not heard anything done by RK that would make me believe he is more than one dimensional, unlike some of those mentioned in the previous posts. He knows how to make records, that's for sure.

Check this guy out:
Unread 04-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Not for us older folks. I have not heard anything done by RK that would make me believe he is more than one dimensional, unlike some of those mentioned in the previous posts. He knows how to make records, that's for sure.
I actually think I am better than him.. Haha, they're music is strictly just powerchords.. Pretty boring.
Unread 04-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
I actually think I am better than him.. Haha, they're music is strictly just powerchords.. Pretty boring.
yeah, I have thought that too. Yet I have never heard him just do a jam session to just hear his stuff, not one of their songs, just him soloing over some random chord progression, so I can't say that for sure. At first, I didn't think Steven curtis chapman was so great untill I heard him do a real, improved solo. That changed my mind real fast.

Edit: But the way matt uses his thumb to pick desearves some respect
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #67

That last post was just a joke.
Unread 04-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #68
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatdirt
That last post was just a joke.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Not to flame you...because I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but how often do we as guitarists claim stuff like this? How often do we go to a show and say "Wow, I could do that so much better than he can."? I'd be interested to see if any of that holds up. Could you truly do what he does? Thiessen is a rythym player. Almost exclusively. And since when is the greatness of a player measured by his soloing abilities? I have a friend who plays in a typical "Rock Band," but holds a degree in Jazz Guitar. He plays both quite well. You would never know that just from listening to what he's put out on record. As for personal ability, you very well may exceed MT in talent. My point is that there is alot of factors involving such claims, and those claims alone carry a tall order. I don't doubt your abilities, I'm just throwing out possibilities.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
Not to flame you...because I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but how often do we as guitarists claim stuff like this? How often do we go to a show and say "Wow, I could do that so much better than he can."? I'd be interested to see if any of that holds up. Could you truly do what he does? Thiessen is a rythym player. Almost exclusively. And since when is the greatness of a player measured by his soloing abilities? I have a friend who plays in a typical "Rock Band," but holds a degree in Jazz Guitar. He plays both quite well. You would never know that just from listening to what he's put out on record. As for personal ability, you very well may exceed MT in talent. My point is that there is alot of factors involving such claims, and those claims alone carry a tall order. I don't doubt your abilities, I'm just throwing out possibilities.
Well, as I see him, I don't think of him as a "great guitarist". I probably haven't seen him in all his skill, but only relying on his music.

The comment was kind of a joke: taking a shot at Relientk's boring music.

I hate it when people say they're better than me or try to compare me to themselves or someone else. I don't think guitar "skill" can be truly calculated that way.

It's all good.
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #71
The Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by omensixaxe
I can't agree more with you one this.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #72
Pearl plays her guitar

So why do these threads keep popping up? Like the Eveready Bunny, they keep going and going and going!

Check this guy out:
Unread 04-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #73

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
So why do these threads keep popping up? Like the Eveready Bunny, they keep going and going and going!
because we keep getting more new people whodon't read past the first page, or haven't yet learned that there isn't a best guitarist.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #74

Stryper

Oz Fox from Stryper is the most awesome guitarist, the Christian Eddie Van Halen
DirkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #75
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Because some people just don't know any better.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote