Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Old School
Administrator

paid
'52 Telecaster Reissue

I've got a chance to buy THIS guitar from a friend. Opinions? Advice?

Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.

Hebrews 12:14-15 (NLT)

Listen to my sermons on:

Anchor.fm
Spotify
Radio Public
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #2

I must say it was my dream guitar until I saw it in person and the color just turned me off completely. I haven't played one so I'm really no help cause I don't know how it sounds but I couldn't get past the color - seemed very different from the pictures.
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Old School
Administrator

paid
Musiciansfriend has them brand new for around $1400. This particular one is about 25 years old and he wants $650 for it.
Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.

Listen to my sermons on:

Anchor.fm
Spotify
Radio Public
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
I think that if it's in good-mint condition, you'd be insane NOT to snag that one.
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Old School
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
I think that if it's in good-mint condition, you'd be insane NOT to snag that one.
Other than being 25 years old and in "played" condition, there's really nothing wrong with it. I put the photos showing the few dings it had in the paint.

If I do buy it would it be stupid to put new hardware and stuff on it? I was also considering putting in some of those "noiseless" pickups Fender makes.

Listen to my sermons on:

Anchor.fm
Spotify
Radio Public
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to stephenyi Send a message via Yahoo to stephenyi
Do you know if it's a US model? If it plays well and frets have minimal wear, I'd say it's a good deal. That's my favorite finish for a tele.
stephenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I'd have to play it first before making a decision.
I'm REALLY picky when it comes to Telecaster and no 2 play the same in my experience.

Also, if you were to pay $650 for it and then a couple hundred on upgrades then you're approaching new American Series prices which I'd personally prefer owning over a used reissue. I prefer the bridge, pickups, electronics, tuners and other features of the American Series over the crude vintage components...especially those slotted tuners...yuk.

But if you like how it plays and sounds and you think the price is fair, that's what matters.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Baby #2 is here!

Send a message via AIM to RipVanWinkle
I, personally, would be all over that like stink on poo (if I had 650 to spend on a guitar)
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #9

I zoomed in on one of the pics, looks like the pickups, bridge, and control cavity cover are starting to rust and the neck has a few chips in it at the base.
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #10

You would have to play it and decide how you like it. I'm not very picky when it comes to necks in general, but I don't like the small radius and small frets of "vintage" models. I hate small frets... At least that one does have the 6 individual saddles, and not the stupid 3 saddle arrangement used on the vintage teles. In general, I'm with Gtrdave, I prefer the modern Fenders....
Unread 02-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
The Math

I personally like the 3 saddle vintage bridge compared to the new six saddle bridge thats on my tele. Now i know your thinking i am crazy. I think when the bridge is set up properly on the vintage style you get more sustain, better twang, and just overall better sound. FOr some reason the new bridges just don't agree with me. I am thinking about putting a vintage one on my tele, though it will require drilling more holes.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
The Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
You would have to play it and decide how you like it. I'm not very picky when it comes to necks in general, but I don't like the small radius and small frets of "vintage" models. I hate small frets... At least that one does have the 6 individual saddles, and not the stupid 3 saddle arrangement used on the vintage teles. In general, I'm with Gtrdave, I prefer the modern Fenders....
Just looking at that again, that should have a three saddle bridge. The orginals had three saddles and the reisuesses have threes saddles. So either he has replace the bridge or fender changed the design for song reason that year. Just to let you know you can't put a new bridge on that guitar. You have to stick the vintage bridges that have 4 screws instead of the new ones with 3.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley7777
I personally like the 3 saddle vintage bridge compared to the new six saddle bridge thats on my tele. Now i know your thinking i am crazy. I think when the bridge is set up properly on the vintage style you get more sustain, better twang, and just overall better sound. FOr some reason the new bridges just don't agree with me. I am thinking about putting a vintage one on my tele, though it will require drilling more holes.
I have heard that about the 3 saddle version.... the thing is the intonation will be off, particularly the saddle with the g and the d string, as those 2 are so far apart intonation wise. There is a company that makes a replacement 3 saddle system - it looks just like the vintage type. They compensates for that intonation issue - the adjustment screw holes are angled, which angles the saddles to achieve good intonation.
Unread 02-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i've done a couple of tele projects. i really could not stand the vintage bridge. i have no comment on the sound of it, but the fact that the intonation was always off because of the limited adjustment really bothered me.
of course stewmac.com sells a 3 saddle version that you can actually adjust for intonation more individually by slanting the saddles as needed. so maybe you can have the best of both worlds if you believe the 3 saddle bridge really does make that much of a sound difference.
Unread 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
A dreamer of pictures

Send a message via AIM to Nathanael Send a message via MSN to Nathanael
Is this one of those "Relic" or "Closet Classic" style releases? Personaly I wouldn't buy a reissue from fender unlesss it was one of their NOS (New Old Stock), because factory induced wear is as retarded as predestroyed jeans.

Anyway if it is a Relic or Closet Classic you can rest assured knowing that the damage is fender's fault and not a lot of use.

Personaly I'd snatch it for that price, and if you wanted you could replace the bridge with a modern 6 saddle one like those on the MIM and newer stuff.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote