Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #61
Godin/Seagull Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapbarII
presby is right. And I dont really like my magic stomp and dont use it in my setup because it screws with my volume WAY TOO MUCH.
I use a digitech RP100 which was a lot less money than the Magic Stomp. I also have the same problem with the volume levels on different amp models but I have been able to compensate by tweaking them so they are all at the same level. I can get some good sounds out of my pedal but I have spent a lot of hours to get the patches just right (the presets are just for demo purposes and to be used as templates). I run my pedal straight into a 60 watt PA combo amp. It works for me; I don't know if it would work for your style of music. If you are running your guitar straight into a PA without any amp modeling it is no wonder that you are getting a very thin, sterile sound. No matter what kind of guitar you get you will never get the warmth you are looking for with that kind of setup. If you can't get the sound you want with the Magic Stomp, I would go with a good 30 watt amp with a 12 inch speaker. I think you would be surprised at the difference. I don't think you need a stack to get what you are looking for. Why don't you take your guitar down to a music store and try out some amps?

presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #62
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
I'd love to have a new amp, I'd really like it to be a halfstack and the marshall "standard" w/e the model is is what I'd want. But that just isnt practical until I start playing shows and stuff...which really probably isnt that far away but I'm not going to go buy one and then not be able to use it.
Use a small amp. I think it'll do a lot more good in the long run.

Quote:
So...new idea...again. I know theres still a lot of eqipment i need to do the things I want to do...and a big thing is recording. So if I choose to spend my money on recording now, would something like the TonePort UX1 be a good buy? I'll be getting a new computer soon, so thats not a problem.
And again, I reccomend a good amp. Great recorded tone starts with the guitar rig you're playing through, the recording will just reproduce what you record, so record a good base tone. Recording direct can't reproduce a good miced amp yet.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Use a small amp. I think it'll do a lot more good in the long run.

And again, I reccomend a good amp. Great recorded tone starts with the guitar rig you're playing through, the recording will just reproduce what you record, so record a good base tone. Recording direct can't reproduce a good miced amp yet.
of course a good recording suite ala amplitube can do some pretty good work. A friend of mine records through his toneport, and the quality is pretty good...not professional, but better than i had expected.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #64
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
That said, it's easier to build a quality recording rig off of good guitar gear, rather than get a TonePort, and find less and less use for it as you get good mics, software, etc. Depends on your plans.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #65
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
Going back to the guitar situation, I found something interesting on Seymour Duncans website about P-90's...

It says that Series wiring is better for rock than Parallel...how do I know which I have? And if mine is Parallel, how do I rewire into a Series?
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #66

Quote:
Going back to the guitar situation, I found something interesting on Seymour Duncans website about P-90's...

It says that Series wiring is better for rock than Parallel...how do I know which I have? And if mine is Parallel, how do I rewire into a Series?
open it up and see if the wiring in your guitar matches the wiring on the SD schematic.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #67

Quote:

I would say your SE is parallel with the switch in the middle position. You can find schemos on the net for converting it to run the two in series in that middle position. You can try it and see, it will be louder than either one by itself, probably with more low end and less highs. It may be pretty muddy sounding, at least when yer rig is eq'd for the individual pickups. It might be awesome... Only one way to find out. I think you may be able to use the existing switch, just a matter of changing the wires around. My Dan'O U2 reissue was wired that way stock - it sounded muddy to me, so I converted it to the more conventional parallel. As I remember it just had a regular 3-way type switch....
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #68

MT, a question for you (as another guitarist with P90s...) do you lose the humbucker capabilities of the middle position on a two P90 guitar when you switch from serial to parallel switching or vice versa.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
MT, a question for you (as another guitarist with P90s...) do you lose the humbucker capabilities of the middle position on a two P90 guitar when you switch from serial to parallel switching or vice versa.
If one or the other is RW/RP like most single coil guitars come with these days, it will be humbucking in either series or parallel. When you run two such single coil pickups in series, it is the same as a conventional humbucker pickup - only that the two coils are not right next to each other sharing the same casing. The series option for 2 singles is a fairly common mod for Tele's and strats. I've never tried it, but I'm going to do it on my tele very soon.
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #70
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
So when you run it in series its like having a humbucker in the "middle" position between the neck and bridge? Thats just what i'm picturing right now...if so, I think that would sound awesome. I'm going to attempt to find some diagrams and then rewire it to see if its what i want. Thanks MT and Steve.
Unread 02-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #71

Quote:
So when you run it in series its like having a humbucker in the "middle" position between the neck and bridge? Thats just what i'm picturing right now...if so, I think that would sound awesome. I'm going to attempt to find some diagrams and then rewire it to see if its what i want. Thanks MT and Steve.
Report back on how it sounds!

Speaking of Santana (in another thread) early in his career, like the first couple albums, he used a Gibby SG Special with P90's. Those early albums of his are my favorite tones of his - less gainy, more raw sounding.