Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #1

Looking for Acoustic/Electric =D

I'm looking for an acoustic/electric guitar nothing too cheap nor expensive. Range is around $700 preferably with a hardcase. Looking for nice tone unplugged/plugged, low-action, pickup that perserves acoustic feel/sound, and perferably with a hardcase.

Experience: 1-2 Years
Style: Praise/Contemporary - David Crowder, Matt Redmen, Hillsong, Tim Hughes, Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster, Shane & Shane, Koo Chung
Price Range: $700 (preferably w/hardcase)
New/Used: New or Good Condition
Situation: Hobby/Praise
Been Looking at:
Martin DCX1E
Taylor 110E

Any suggestions/personal reviews/comparisons?
Please mention guitar's
-Average Price
-Tone Unplugged/Plugged
-Action
-Pickup
-Rating (1-10)

THanks everyone =D

Last edited by bostykid; 02-02-2006 at 07:59 PM.
bostykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Carvin.com
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #3

i highly reccommend the breedlove atlas series, especially the solid backs. they come pretty close to pro-like sound/feel. i got my ac25sr for around 620$, used ebay. and in all honesty, its one of the better purchases ive made. shane barnard is also a serious fan of breedlove guitars(custom shop, however.) and i truly worship his tone. carvin also can get you pretty close too. just keep in mind that ive been a breedlove fan for a while, so im a bit biased.
I've never been this cold, The fire's gravity compels,Like planets cling to Sol, I feel my orbit start to fail,Like moths to flame I come, Too close and all my oaths are burned. As stars begin to run, All my accusers take their turn,And calling curses down.From my lips lies like poison spill,And then that awful sound, The sound of prophesy fulfilled,And then I met your eyes, And I remember everything,And something in me dies, The night that I betrayed my king...
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #4

hey i was in a pretty similar situation as yourself, and when i myself played some acoustics (i couldn't try the taylor or martin that you mention though i did research them a bit too), almost all of the takamine acoustic electric guitars i played were fantastic sounding when plugged in, while having good (in my opinion) tone, yet sort of quiet when unplugged. I think you should try just spending a day just going to a music shop/guitar centre if you're in United States and just play all the acoustic electrics you can find, and get a feel for them yourself. You seem to have some guitar knowledge, and i think first hand experience of the different action and sound quality (bright or mellow/warm) each guitar produces (on average, as consistency can be a factor). I also suggest buying off of either music123 or musiciansfriend as they advertise free hardshell cases with the purchase of a guitar. have fun..-token
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Also check out Seagull. They're modest looking, but they sound and play great. I haven't played the Seagull A/E's so I can't vouch for the electronics, but as acoustics, they're great, and there are plenty of aftermarket pickups.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i've played and owned guitars from all of the above makers mentioned and would recommend any of them. you have to decide what is best for you though. also keep in mind that even 2 guitars of the exact same model are not exactly alike. they can and often do still sound different. even if it is just subtle.
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #7

I just bought the Taylor 110-E today!
Of course I can't tell you how happy I'm with it after years of playing it, but I can tell you how I chose it.

First of all it's replacing a $100 carlos guitar, that i bought in like 1987, that i played off and on, but never regularly until about 1.5 years ago. Playing PW music.

I first fell in love with the Ibanez aef37e
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tic?sku=512481
the quilted maple, the inlaid fret board...and it was so bright and alive sounding. I was also playing various takamine.

This week I got the means for the go-ahead purchase and started going in and playing them again, and thats when I saw the Taylor 110e. After researching it, i was initially disapointed to find out that the back and sides are laminate, but I ended up choosing the taylor for two major reasons.

1. the sound is much richer, is more dynamic, and the tone and volume was good from low E to high e. The ibanez was bright, but it lacked depth to play low notes, especially unplugged. (the ibanez GC had at the time was also abit "twangier" than the one i initially played)

2. the "belief" that the taylor, for the price, would last me longer - skill wise- as i grew as a player than the ibanez would.

The taylor sounds great plugged or unplugged, the action is a little different than my old junk acoustic, but adaptation is to be expected.

good luck to ya.

edit...btw $629 plus case
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #8

Check out The Blueridges. They are quality guitars and some are around $550-$600. I personally have a Blueridge 160 and I got it off of music123.com it took a while to get to me, but it was worth the wait. The one I have has solid sicka spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. A herring bone nut and saddle as well as a solid rosewood (I think it's rosewood) neck and fretboard. Everything is real. you can't get a better deal. And you can order a hardcase. the only downfall is that some don't come with pickups so you have to put one in yourself. That's not hard. Fishman has some really good ones and you or your local luthier can put it in.
guitarduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
hope is the bravest thing

Send a message via AIM to aiwahead Send a message via Yahoo to aiwahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Also check out Seagull. They're modest looking, but they sound and play great. I haven't played the Seagull A/E's so I can't vouch for the electronics, but as acoustics, they're great, and there are plenty of aftermarket pickups.
Sorry man, but I gotta say, having played the Seagull s6 and the Taylor 110E, the S6 is VERY nice, but the 110E wins IMO.

Having sat down with them both, I found that the taylor played overall better, sounded brighter (Well that's a duh, factor.) and had more overall volume, while the Seagull had a slightly faster neck, a much more bassy sound (Which, if thats what you're looking for, go for it), but it defiantely beat the 110E on electronics. Not because they SOUND better, but because the S6 that I had tried out actually had a volume control. The 110E dosent. But it honestly shouldnt be all that difficult to install such a thing, I am going to be looking into this soon. (IE: If you get a 110e, look into buying a cheap volume pedal or something such as.)
Unread 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
Carvin.com
For under $700 you can get a Carvin C750. It is has electronics and construction on par with Taylors and others costing upwards of $1000. You also get the hard case for $44 which is a steal for an SKB.
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Godin/Seagull Man

I got the chance to try out the Taylor 110 today and it sounded awesome. It had great sound projection in both bass and treble ranges. It was very comfortable to play as well. I wouldn't worry about the laminated sides and back. I've been told that laminate will actually hold up better because they are less prone to warping and cracking. I've also have heard that most of the sound comes from the top and bracing anyway. If I had one of these, I would want to play it through a mike so I wouldn't lose the richness of that sound.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote