Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
do you understand what the Utah is?
peice of wooden crud with pickups perhaps?

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog
peice of wooden crud with pickups perhaps?
so basically you have no idea. you know, there's no shame in asking questions.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #48

Quote:
so basically you have no idea. you know, there's no shame in asking questions.
well i guess i have never played one, but they look kind of ugly, and even if they sounded better than anything i wouldn't get one.

Unread 02-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
here's the original Utah post (at least the earliest i could find)
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ead.php?t=8170

The thing you have to understand about the Utah is that it is Chesh's personal HAND BUILT guitar. Everything in the Utah is made to his personal specs...think of your favorite company's Custom shop building a guitar to your personal specs!

Basically, thing of your personal dream guitar...once that would be built to look and feel exactly like you want it...with the pickup configurations you want to get the tones you want...that's the definition of the Utah. Generally the Utah around here is thrown around to show the full potential of a hot-rodded guitar. Imagine doing a full electronics customization in a PRS, Schecter, Fender, Gibson...whatever...that is the entire point of the Utah...
Once you get past the design issues and realize the tonal potential of the hardware, then you see the true utility of the Utah.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #50

Quote:

The thing you have to understand about the Utah is that it is Chesh's personal HAND BUILT guitar. Everything in the Utah is made to his personal specs...think of your favorite company's Custom shop building a guitar to your personal specs!

Basically, thing of your personal dream guitar...once that would be built to look and feel exactly like you want it...with the pickup configurations you want to get the tones you want...that's the definition of the Utah. Generally the Utah around here is thrown around to show the full potential of a hot-rodded guitar. Imagine doing a full electronics customization in a PRS, Schecter, Fender, Gibson...whatever...that is the entire point of the Utah...
Once you get past the design issues and realize the tonal potential of the hardware, then you see the true utility of the Utah.
I guess you have a pretty good point. Besides the fact that my dream guitar is just and ordinary les paul or SG or mustang, you have a pretty good point.

Last edited by earlessdog; 02-10-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #51

Quote:

And it keeps changing, getting better. I guess a guitar is never really finished. I'd personally take tone and versatility over looks anyday.
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #52
I'm Rick James....

Send a message via MSN to guitarguy Send a message via Yahoo to guitarguy
Greatest moment??? For me it's a tie between the realease of Blizzard of Ozz or the Day Joe Satriani released Surfing With the Alien.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
And it keeps changing, getting better. I guess a guitar is never really finished. I'd personally take tone and versatility over looks anyday.
Well, I dig on looks as well as tone and versatility, and I like the way the Utah looks.

Actually, it will be finished eventually. I'm nearing the end of it's evolution.

BTW, in case it was missed, Steve is correct in that it was personally handbuilt for me . . . the part which may not be obvious was that it was personally handbuilt for me by me.

And thanks goes to earlessdog for his aesthetic appraisal of the Utah's looks. "Piece of wooden crud with pickups." That's original. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Of course, it speaks volumes about your erudition, but that's beside the point.

More later . . .

Incidentally, saying this with all modesty, I think it might end up being one of the most technologically advanced guitars in existance when I'm finished. I would probably say within the top ten perhaps, but I'm not 100% sure on how I would reckon that, since I don't know where all the oddities, curiosities, and experimentations of all the different manufacturers would figure into that accounting.

Three guitars that would outrank it, as it were, would be Lightwave Basses (that is, a bass outfitted with the lightwave optical pickup system), Parker Fly's, and Alembics, tho, mine probably is on equal footing with Alembics in terms of electronics and what not. They win hands down of course for their wood selection and the fabled "hippie sandwich".

Not that that was my intention when I first started, mind you, but that's just an observation in retrospect.

Ultimately I'm going for mechanical complexity :: conceptual simplicity . . . what engineers refer to as a black box design.

To that end, I think I've been successful.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Well, I dig on looks as well as tone and versatility, and I like the way the Utah looks.
Yeah, I personally think the Utah looks awesome. But *some* people don't think that... *cough*. Once you "finish" it, you must post soundclips and such.
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Yeah, I personally think the Utah looks awesome. But *some* people don't think that... *cough*. Once you "finish" it, you must post soundclips and such.
And, uh, who, *clears throat* might that be?

Unread 02-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #56
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Quote:

Actually, it will be finished eventually. I'm nearing the end of it's evolution.

BTW, in case it was missed, Steve is correct in that it was personally handbuilt for me . . . the part which may not be obvious was that it was personally handbuilt for me by me.

And thanks goes to earlessdog for his aesthetic appraisal of the Utah's looks. "Piece of wooden crud with pickups." That's original. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Of course, it speaks volumes about your erudition, but that's beside the point.

More later . . .

Incidentally, saying this with all modesty, I think it might end up being one of the most technologically advanced guitars in existance when I'm finished. I would probably say within the top ten perhaps, but I'm not 100% sure on how I would reckon that, since I don't know where all the oddities, curiosities, and experimentations of all the different manufacturers would figure into that accounting.

Three guitars that would outrank it, as it were, would be Lightwave Basses (that is, a bass outfitted with the lightwave optical pickup system), Parker Fly's, and Alembics, tho, mine probably is on equal footing with Alembics in terms of electronics and what not. They win hands down of course for their wood selection and the fabled "hippie sandwich".

Not that that was my intention when I first started, mind you, but that's just an observation in retrospect.

Ultimately I'm going for mechanical complexity :: conceptual simplicity . . . what engineers refer to as a black box design.

To that end, I think I've been successful.

Chesh
The whole time reading through your post, I was about to mention Alembic, then you beat me to it. (What's a Hippie Sandwich?) And how in the world does and ordinary person get her/his hands on the wood that they do?
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
What's a Hippie Sandwich?

Notice anything interesting about the construction of the neck and body?

Quote:
And how in the world does and ordinary person get her/his hands on the wood that they do?
The same place that they get it, from a rarewood, hardwoods, and veneer dealer. Check your local yellow pages.

Seriously, if you have a good shop, when you walk in there you'll think you're in a candy store!

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #58
visual binary

Quote:

Chesh
what about that all digital guitar that gibson has? The one with the processing onboard and the Magic system? Do you think that Utah is more or less advanced than that guitar?

On the thread's topic:

Greatest moment #39: Creation of CGR.

The only one who needs to think really hard about Schrodinger's Cat is Schrodinger's Mouse.
Longhorn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #59
haha... whatever dude

Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Quote:

Notice anything interesting about the construction of the neck and body?
umm... only that it's a neck thru. Maybe I'm just not educated in guitar design enough to pick it out?

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
JtoTHAizzosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #60
haha... whatever dude

Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
Ok I just googled it and found out that it's different layers of wood... I thought it was just painted like that lol

Schecter Diamond Series S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Spyder II 75 watt amp
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
JtoTHAizzosh is offline   Reply With Quote